First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
They're all built at MAP. Ford is clearing everything (Bronco) off the books this year.

Starting next year any outstanding orders will have to be reordered. At least that's the last news I heard but I don't go over to B6G much lately.
I found the article on Ford Authority. So basically if you don't change your order to what Ford wants you to build you could risk having it canceled along with the price protection. I guess waiting 3 years isn't commitment enough. :rolleyes:

https://fordauthority.com/2023/01/2023-ford-bronco-retail-order-banks-to-open-up-in-late-march/

As Ford Authority previously reported, carryover 2023 Bronco order holders that don’t change their orders risk having that order canceled altogether, at which point they would have to reorder a 2024 model with no price protection. Affected customers have already received an email outlining these terms, meaning that at least some 2023 orders will most likely not be filled.
Sponsored

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
At this point, I'd need a lifetime warranty on one of the hardtops. Ford should have taken notes for Jeep on how to manufacture a hardtop.

Local dealer has allocation and knew I had interest in a Bronco. They were trying to get me to bite on a soft top and I countered with they would have to agree to get me a hardtop at the build option price. They said no of course, lol.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
They do have the option of adding another shift I believe which would increase total production. Whether they opt to do that or not is anyone's guess.
FYI
MAP, like most Ford plants is running a 3 crew pattern. It is basically 20 hours a day six days a week. The plant can extend the 10 hour shift to 12 if needed. There are also provisions in the contract that allow for a number of mandatory " super Sundays" that make it seven days of production. The 3 crew pattern is designed to get the most production out of every plant while paying the minimum amount of premium pay. Maintenance workers work a 4 crew pattern. Explaining how it works requires an advanced degree in logistics.:LOL:

I cannot speak for MAP but at KTP super Sundays are often scheduled but then cancelled at the last minute due to lack of parts. Sometimes after running a Sunday they run out of certain parts during the next week. :facepalm: The constraints are parts more than plant schedules.

"At Ford's Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, employees work 10-hour shifts four days a week. The so-called A crew gets days, while the B crew gets afternoons. But the C crew shift rotates its start time every week. On Fridays and Saturdays, workers start at 6:00 a.m. On Mondays and Tuesdays, they start at 4:30 p.m."

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
FYI
MAP, like most Ford plants is running a 3 crew pattern. It is basically 20 hours a day six days a week. The plant can extend the 10 hour shift to 12 if needed. There are also provisions in the contract that allow for a number of mandatory " super Sundays" that make it seven days of production. The 3 crew pattern is designed to get the most production out of every plant while paying the minimum amount of premium pay. Maintenance workers work a 4 crew pattern. Explaining how it works requires an advanced degree in logistics.:LOL:

I cannot speak for MAP but at KTP super Sundays are often scheduled but then cancelled at the last minute due to lack of parts. Sometimes after running a Sunday they run out of certain parts during the next week. :facepalm: The constraints are parts more than plant schedules.

"At Ford's Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, employees work 10-hour shifts four days a week. The so-called A crew gets days, while the B crew gets afternoons. But the C crew shift rotates its start time every week. On Fridays and Saturdays, workers start at 6:00 a.m. On Mondays and Tuesdays, they start at 4:30 p.m."
Thanks - that is not how I understood it to work, but it does make sense. Back in 2019/2019 when they started 5G production, my understanding was they were working 2 shifts of 8 hours, 5 days a week and for a period of time they had been running 10 hour days, 6 days a week trying to ramp up production. But maybe that info was wrong all along or maybe I mis-understood it. I can't remember where I saw/heard it.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks - that is not how I understood it to work, but it does make sense. Back in 2019/2019 when they started 5G production, my understanding was they were working 2 shifts of 8 hours, 5 days a week and for a period of time they had been running 10 hour days, 6 days a week trying to ramp up production. But maybe that info was wrong all along or maybe I mis-understood it. I can't remember where I saw/heard it.
Your info may well have been correct at the time. The so called " Master UAW FORD CONTRACT" allows for several different operating patterns. The individual plants then negotiate their work schedules as needed, within that frame work. There are also special provisions for new model launches, so schedules can change.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
They do have the option of adding another shift I believe which would increase total production. Whether they opt to do that or not is anyone's guess.
They don't have parts, Ford-wide. This is a logistical nightmare that affects nearly every business, but hits Ford particularly hard in part because of poor strategy, and a generally adversarial relationship with some suppliers.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
They don't have parts, Ford-wide. This is a logistical nightmare that affects nearly every business, but hits Ford particularly hard in part because of poor strategy, and a generally adversarial relationship with some suppliers.
I get that - and I understand it will continue to be an issue for quite a while yet - my comment was really related to the ability to produce more Rangers (assuming parts would be available) over Broncos. There might be additional capacity at the plant they could tap if they wanted to. My guess is that they won't, and the Ranger will continue to be an afterthought.

I have read that Ford is considering bringing production of some parts back in house more like Henry Ford did - he sourced everything himself - even rubber way back in the day....

As painful as all the shortages have been, I think they will have one long term positive effect - moving parts sourcing closer to where they are needed (less dependence on China) and also not being quite so just in time - providing a bit of buffer when things don't go quite according to plan.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I get that - and I understand it will continue to be an issue for quite a while yet - my comment was really related to the ability to produce more Rangers (assuming parts would be available) over Broncos. There might be additional capacity at the plant they could tap if they wanted to. My guess is that they won't, and the Ranger will continue to be an afterthought.

I have read that Ford is considering bringing production of some parts back in house more like Henry Ford did - he sourced everything himself - even rubber way back in the day....

As painful as all the shortages have been, I think they will have one long term positive effect - moving parts sourcing closer to where they are needed (less dependence on China) and also not being quite so just in time - providing a bit of buffer when things don't go quite according to plan.
It's going to be interesting to see what the Bronco sales are next year. Right now they're clearing up all previous orders and now the excitement and newness has worn off. I see quite a few for sale at msrp on the online car sites now where just 6 months ago every one was $5K+ higher. I know the rates have played a part in this too but I believe the sales will diminish and come down some in 2024.

But with the look of this new 6G Ranger I don't see many beating down the doors for one either, only the Raptor. It also doesn't look like much has changed where enough who own the 5G are willing to trade theirs for one. I mean it's pretty much the same drivetrain and maybe a few interior improvements. The PHEV will be the one that I think most will be looking out for and so will I if the Raptor is to expensive or for some reason falls through.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
It's going to be interesting to see what the Bronco sales are next year. Right now they're clearing up all previous orders and now the excitement and newness has worn off. I see quite a few for sale at msrp on the online car sites now where just 6 months ago every one was $5K+ higher. I know the rates have played a part in this too but I believe the sales will diminish and come down some in 2024.

But with the look of this new 6G Ranger I don't see many beating down the doors for one either, only the Raptor. It also doesn't look like much has changed where enough who own the 5G are willing to trade theirs for one. I mean it's pretty much the same drivetrain and maybe a few interior improvements. The PHEV will be the one that I think most will be looking out for and so will I if the Raptor is to expensive or for some reason falls through.
We'll have to wait for the official dimensions, but I believe the 6G Ranger will have the same 65" track F/R as the base Bronco and the Raptor should be ~73" F/R. The wheelbase was kicked out 2" in front to improve approach angle. If the track moves out to ~65" there may br a genuine 48" between the wheel wells.

OP
OP
AzureRanger

AzureRanger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep TJ
Occupation
Retired
We'll have to wait for the official dimensions, but I believe the 6G Ranger will have the same 65" track F/R as the base Bronco and the Raptor should be ~73" F/R. The wheelbase was kicked out 2" in front to improve approach angle. If the track moves out to ~65" there may br a genuine 48" between the wheel wells.
One more reason I'm glad I got the 5g.....the 6g won't fit in my garage.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
No doubt 6G Ranger will be wallflowered. The obvious bias here notwithstanding, They should close 2023 Bronco orders, build 6G Rangers as much as possible, while building Bronco parts inventory, jacking up Webasto way high and get the MIC hardtops figured out. Jeep uses the same company without all the problems.

There are other problems going on with Ranger/Bronco. For 2022 calendar year, Toyota sold around 250,000 Tacomas* in the midst of moving production from San Antonio to Mexico. the Taco is a NA only model, not built anywhere else. ROW gets the Hilux. Compare that to 57,000 Rangers and 117,000 Broncos in 2022; slightly above half production capacity.

This in spite of the fact that the "Taco-isti" are fully aware of the redesigned Tacoma coming soon.
Didn't know that. Now I can look at passing Taco's with my "this truck is made in the US" face.
Sponsored