Not all USB cables are the same, or some are just junk?

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Yeah, not all cables are the same. And have no idea how to tell what from what. Just dont buy 3 for 5.
Like hdmi, they are different too.
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
MFI cables have a special data chip in them that is licensed by Apple. So, Chinese knockoffs usually don’t have these chips and only work to charge or if you do get data to work it will be intermittent. I got a junk draw that my kids throw all the cheap ones they got that don’t work.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I first discovered the lint problem way back. Not sure is it was my very first Lightning Port iPhone, but likely one of the first versions. I stumbled on the solution by getting online and googling Lightning connector repair, trying to find out if it was something repair guys could fix.

When I found the paperclip cleanup suggestion I was pretty skeptical, as I couldn't imagine MY pockets had that much lint... :). I turned the phone off and dug away in the port and was shocked at how much lint came out. After it quit coming out, I plugged the cable back in and eureka!, no more bad cable connections. So now, any time I plug a cable into my phone, if it doesn't make the connection easily, I assume it needs cleaning. I have found, through this learning process, that occasionally my silicon case will shift enough to inhibit some cable ends from getting seated properly in the port.

In the end, I am not a major fan of Apple's "form leads function" approach to product design. Don't even ask me about how I feel about the remote that comes with the Apple TV box... :curse:
There are no functioning Apple products in my house and I intend to keep it that way!

Best,
Phil

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
There are no functioning Apple products in my house and I intend to keep it that way!

Best,
Phil
My wife ran developer tech support for Apple for a long time. When I make a disparaging comment about something Apple (which unfortunately is pretty frequently), I just get that look... :(

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
More than just the wires and connectors

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Ran a 50ft hdmi cable a few years back so I could have my computer on my big screen , PAINSTAKINGLY ran it through this an around that and had it completely hidden , then found out it was a "one way" cable , sorce end and monitor end , which , until that moment, I didn't know existed... I had a 50/50 shot at getting it right though...
If you ever do it again, try converting to Cat5. HDMI over Cat5 is much easier/cheaper at that length.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
If you ever do it again, try converting to Cat5. HDMI over Cat5 is much easier/cheaper at that length.
It's been a few years back but now I do that for sure , I think it's Cat 6 or 7 now... haven't ran any for awhile...

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Apple is slowly switching over to USB-C connectors (about time), a much better design. That being said as a long time IOS user I have had very little trouble with Apple products, mostly with 3rd party after market products. Their remotes suck, but I use a Logitech Harmony programmable web based universal remote, which I love, one press to turn on my entire multi-media system.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Apple is slowly switching over to USB-C connectors (about time), a much better design. That being said as a long time IOS user I have had very little trouble with Apple products, mostly with 3rd party after market products. Their remotes suck, but I use a Logitech Harmony programmable web based universal remote, which I love, one press to turn on my entire multi-media system.
That is the biggest problem with Apple.

We don't Apple in my house. But my father-in-law is an Apple fanboi so I let him get my oldest daughter an I phone. For something that's supposed to be an easier interface that thing is clunky as all hell to use.

On top of that I almost threw it accross the garage yesterday trying to get it to connect to the new Alpine head unit in her Jeep.

Apple products in a mixed network? Don't even get me started.

How something that fails to integrate with other devices so thoroughly has succeeded is beyond me. It's a cult.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
It's been a few years back but now I do that for sure , I think it's Cat 6 or 7 now... haven't ran any for awhile...
Of course standards change. I've been out of the comms/AV game for bit. All network cable is Cat5 to me.

TheRoushRanger046

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Roush Ranger
Native Union is your best bet. Amazing brand and holds up well against wear and tear !!!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That is the biggest problem with Apple.

We don't Apple in my house. But my father-in-law is an Apple fanboi so I let him get my oldest daughter an I phone. For something that's supposed to be an easier interface that thing is clunky as all hell to use.

On top of that I almost threw it accross the garage yesterday trying to get it to connect to the new Alpine head unit in her Jeep.

Apple products in a mixed network? Don't even get me started.

How something that fails to integrate with other devices so thoroughly has succeeded is beyond me. It's a cult.
I'm not sure why you're having these issues but in all the different vehicles I've owned and rented over the years I've never had a problem connecting my iPhone (s) to them.

My jeep was the easiest to connect and I have to say the one thing I miss about it is the Alpine stereo. It is MUCH better than the B&O we have and the Uconnect blows away Sync 3. From what Ive heard the Sync 4 is a lot better but those I know who have both still prefer the Uconnect.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I'm not sure why you're having these issues but in all the different vehicles I've owned and rented over the years I've never had a problem connecting my iPhone (s) to them.

My jeep was the easiest to connect and I have to say the one thing I miss about it is the Alpine stereo. It is MUCH better than the B&O we have and the Uconnect blows away Sync 3. From what Ive heard the Sync 4 is a lot better but those I know who have both still prefer the Uconnect.
Not sure what the issue was. The Alpine played well with all the Android phones in the house. Just didn't want to connect to her IPhone. After some struggles and resets we got it.

The old Apple Airport routers were the worst to try to integrate with AV equipment.

My brother and sister in law have the Uconnect in their vehicles, JL Willie's and Ram HD. It's a very nice system from what I've seen but I've heard it can be buggy sometimes. The B&O in our Lariats is acceptable but nothing to write home about.

The Alpine that went in the YJ is a basic bitch. Bluetooth, AM/FM, that's about it. Just some Kicker 4x6s in the dash, might add more later but it's plenty for now.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Not sure what the issue was. The Alpine played well with all the Android phones in the house. Just didn't want to connect to her IPhone. After some struggles and resets we got it.

The old Apple Airport routers were the worst to try to integrate with AV equipment.

My brother and sister in law have the Uconnect in their vehicles, JL Willie's and Ram HD. It's a very nice system from what I've seen but I've heard it can be buggy sometimes. The B&O in our Lariats is acceptable but nothing to write home about.

The Alpine that went in the YJ is a basic bitch. Bluetooth, AM/FM, that's about it. Just some Kicker 4x6s in the dash, might add more later but it's plenty for now.
I'm not an Apple fanboy by any means but so far their phones have been good for my needs. I'm not thrilled with their latest updates as they keep messing with stuff that works, just leave well enough alone.

I don't have the watch or any of their other devices so I can't comment on those. I think like all things you can get lucky and get a good item which plays well with other devices or you can get one that you'd like to smash with a sledge hammer! :angry: I didn't have my Jeep long enough for it to get the electrical gremlins I've read about. lol

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RangerXLT CrewCab 4x4
Okay. I am a fan of Apple. Mostly. I mean back in the day when I was trying configure via DOS to make the CD ROM to work on my girlfriend’s (my dear spouse now) windows 3.1 machine I cursed that she didn’t own a Mac. Apple controlled the hardware and software at the time. Never a problem. But the thing that always sucked was the proprietary hardware. Fast forward to iPhone. I do love that damn thing (owned Android before and had one for work until last year and honestly hated it. I envied the flexibility and customization of android but I didn’t find it that intuitive). But I hated the iPhone power/data ports and how the iPhone could sense it wasn’t attached to genuine apple hardware. When I got the Ranger last year I didn’t get Nav cause I figured I would use my iPhone. Plugged in iPhone cable no problem. I switched a retractable one to keep things neat. Didn’t work. Switch to a different non apple cable didn’t work. Went back to apple cable. Worked. Steve Jobs was a genius but curse him and proprietary hardware.
Sponsored