Not all USB cables are the same, or some are just junk?

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
So I had changed out my blue paracable USB cable for a black one to connect my phone to my Sync3. The black one is more hidden(OCD issue) lol. Well upon doing so my phone only "charged" and no other function. So I switched back to my paracable and voila works fine again.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Synfulz

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Some are charging only, some have the data wires as well.
I was unaware of that, thanks! So when buying is there something to look for that indicates that?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
There's so many different brands now it's hard to tell which ones are any good. Even reading the reviews on Amazon aren't much help as most are contradicting. :facepalm: As much as I hate Amazon it's easier to buy from them because if the cable doesn't work they'll take it back for free.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I was unaware of that, thanks! So when buying is there something to look for that indicates that?
In my experience, when I get a USB cable that only charges, it came with something I bought and it was included to be a charging cable. I can't remember buying a USB cable from Amazon or Best Buy that didn't have all the data lines, but I could be wrong. I have a big old box of them now and when I stumble upon one that doesn't have the data lines, I just chuck it.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, some are junk - found that out on an impulse buy at a gas station. Sometimes, 3 for $5 is $5 too much.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You just have to read the description really good but as @deleriumtremor said most good ones will do both. Also check the Q&A section as this is usually asked and answered there. Here's the one my gf just bought for her iPhone and so far it's worked out well. There's several different sizes to chose from and you can see this was asked in the Q&A.

WHAT IS MFi ?

MFi is a kind of express license for external accessories produced by authorized accessory manufacturers. It is the abbreviation of ‘Made for iPhone / iPod / iPad’.

The test process is extremely demanding, with a pass rate of only 2%.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Q1: Does it charge fast ?

A1: Yes, it charges quickly with the 2.4A (max) current.

Q2. Does it support data transfer ?

A2: Sure, syncing is very well and fast.

Q3: Will it work with phone with cases ?

A3: The ultra-compact connector is slim enough to perfectly fit for most of cases.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0829ZBTNM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s02?ie=UTF8&th=1

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
Paid over 20 bucks for a cable when I was in a bind, it worked in some vehicles, but would not allow AA to work in my Ranger. Changed out for a shorter, cheaper version and it works perfectly now.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
There's so many different brands now it's hard to tell which ones are any good. Even reading the reviews on Amazon aren't much help as most are contradicting. :facepalm: As much as I hate Amazon it's easier to buy from them because if the cable doesn't work they'll take it back for free.
Price can be a good indicator. If one is more expensive for the same length, it's probably capable of carrying data.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I think at times, a cable that works perfectly fine between two specific devices, may not work at all with a third device.

in my experience the most iffy cables are Apple Lightning connector cables. My Lightning port on my iPhone can collect enough lint that one day a cable plugged into it won’t work, while another will may. If I clean the port with the end if a fine paper clip, everything starts being reliable again.

Debugging n possible causes for a bad or intermittent connection can be frustrating. I always try and remember to clean the port first when things get glitchy.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think at times, a cable that works perfectly fine between two specific devices, may not work at all with a third device.

in my experience the most iffy cables are Apple Lightning connector cables. My Lightning port on my iPhone can collect enough lint that one day a cable plugged into it won’t work, while another will may. If I clean the port with the end if a fine paper clip, everything starts being reliable again.

Debugging n possible causes for a bad or intermittent connection can be frustrating. I always try and remember to clean the port first when things get glitchy.
I've been lucky I guess as I never really had any trouble using my cables in different vehicles. Interesting as I've never thought about cleaning the lint out the port. Then again I forget to clean the lint out of my bellybutton so off to the bathroom I go. ?

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Ran a 50ft hdmi cable a few years back so I could have my computer on my big screen , PAINSTAKINGLY ran it through this an around that and had it completely hidden , then found out it was a "one way" cable , sorce end and monitor end , which , until that moment, I didn't know existed... I had a 50/50 shot at getting it right though...

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I went through all those crappy charge cables too. Ended up just painting a white authentic lightening cable black to leave in the truck lol.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I've been lucky I guess as I never really had any trouble using my cables in different vehicles. Interesting as I've never thought about cleaning the lint out the port. Then again I forget to clean the lint out of my bellybutton so off to the bathroom I go. ?
I first discovered the lint problem way back. Not sure is it was my very first Lightning Port iPhone, but likely one of the first versions. I stumbled on the solution by getting online and googling Lightning connector repair, trying to find out if it was something repair guys could fix.

When I found the paperclip cleanup suggestion I was pretty skeptical, as I couldn't imagine MY pockets had that much lint... :). I turned the phone off and dug away in the port and was shocked at how much lint came out. After it quit coming out, I plugged the cable back in and eureka!, no more bad cable connections. So now, any time I plug a cable into my phone, if it doesn't make the connection easily, I assume it needs cleaning. I have found, through this learning process, that occasionally my silicon case will shift enough to inhibit some cable ends from getting seated properly in the port.

In the end, I am not a major fan of Apple's "form leads function" approach to product design. Don't even ask me about how I feel about the remote that comes with the Apple TV box... :curse:
Sponsored