New Truck Observations with Engine Sound & Exhaust Smell

Caliburn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I bought my 2020 Ranger XLT FX4 in July and have about 2,500 miles on it. I absolutely love it, but there are a couple of things that I've noticed and wasn't sure if I should be concerned.

1) On startup (usually cold) the engine will squeak/chirp a few times. I've read that some other owners have this with varying degrees of success with dealers addressing it. The consensus seems to be that it's not an issue other than the sound. I'm content to let it be for now (nothing compared to the Wrangler oddities), but might mention it to the dealer when I'm ready to get the oil changed.

2) Since I've had it the smell from the exhaust on startup is much more pronounced that other vehicles I've owned (Mustang, Wrangler). I wasn't concerned about it until yesterday. It was our first real cold day here and I was warming it up while waiting for my wife to get in. She opened the door and commented about the exhaust smell and I got a good whiff of what smelled like someone had stepped in gas or something when she opened the door. It went away and I gave it a whiff again last night and this morning on startup and it didn't smell that bad again, but is still more pronounced than I'm used to.

I'm not particularly savvy when it comes to mechanics, so I wasn't sure if these are just things that have to do with a new truck, maybe something to do with the EcoBoost, or if there is an issue that needs to be addressed. I haven't noticed any issues with how it drives or fuel economy or anything.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.
Sponsored

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Just drive it and quit worrying

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I know there are some others not having this issue, but the chirp or whatever may be your fuel pump pre-engaging. Mine does it randomly (I think maybe it detects key fob proximity) and it sometimes does it when I use the key fob to unlock it after its been sitting a while.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Never had the smell but one thing I did find around my engine and under it was black tape that is used to hold wire harnesses before assembly. I found discarded tape around engine on top and few place on the underside toward transmission.
I mention so you can search and see if any around exhaust manifold or down pipe. Wondered is reported smell some had was ever this tape getting hot.

3D70CAA6-9C6C-415A-B6EC-D655D0E4B041.jpeg

653257D6-CD7D-45C3-BA11-3271BC2975DC.jpeg

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
From what I've read here the "chirp" is the turbo waste gate (and that may be the wrong part) opening, and closing when the engine is cold. You can see the little lever on the side of the turbo moving by looking into the left front wheel well. I'm just gonna guess that a cold start it throws some extra gas in there, and that's what you're smelling. Not to worry as I understand the situation.

Hardy12000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX 4x4 (Iconic Silver)
Exaust points out the passengers side. Add a little wind and boy, I sure smell exaust.

tentspast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
These modern turbo petrol engines run very rich on a cold startup so the catalytic converters heat up to operating temp quickly. My Skoda has a downpipe and a high flow cat and it positively stinks on a cold morning.
Sponsored