First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Some are curious after having bought a new vehicle that advertises 20+mpg, plus all the posts here of many getting far better than 20MPG. Yeah, just put gas in it. OK, b/c you said so, and you are amazing?

Please don't try to dictate what other people should do or not do with their vehicles or how they should think. What a shallow POV. Your argument is like saying, why bother going to college, you'll never use those skills. Something tells me you haven't b/c you know better.
Around here, say what you mean, and mean what you say. We are big boys and gals. Your situation? lack of break in miles and crap ethanol laced California gasoline that probably has other bizarre 'socially responsible' ingredients in it. I honestly don't understand why this thread keeps grinding on.

My final comment: If one is forced to use moonshine tainted gasoline, do yourself a favor and add an 'ethanol treatment' additive to each tank of fuel. Doesn't take much, usually about 4 oz. per tank for Ranger. Your Ranger will love you for it.

484105761_L_16790ce9.jpeg
Sponsored

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
Ok, I'll jump in. As other's have mentioned correctly, the engine is still beaking in. When I picked mine up brand new it was avg. 14.1.
I've had it for a little over two weeks now with 750 miles and I've had it up to 22.1 and just checked when I got home I had 21.9. Aside from the fact that it's brand new, I do a lot of stop and go. And aside from the occasional turbo acceleration blast (can't help myself) I drive like Granpa Pigeon. Cruise control is your friend for sure and though I only have an XL, compared to the other vehicles I've ever driven this truck is superior in every way. Be patient. I have faith that we'll get there. Remember that the average is just that. Try monitoring your MPGs with the instant display. And drive with as light a foot as possible. I know it's hard to do with these trucks but I've noticed that you can get to pretty much any speed limit on any road by just barely, barely pressing the gas.

Elgorr4

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
Driving conditions and driving style determine the milage more than anything. On my summer time commute on 55mph back roads with no traffic I average 24-25mpg every single tank (hand calc, the dash has read as high as 27mph before!). Driving 70mph on the interstate that drops down to 22mpg. In the wind that drops to 17-18mpg. I just towed a 5x8 uhaul trailer across kansas in 30mph headwinds and averaged 10.2mpg all day (serious bummer). If your commute is a 17mpg commute it is what it is. Just drive the best you can and it will get better over time.

raymonda70

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Sr.Buyer - Toshiba-Mitsubishi Electrical
Vehicle Showcase
Have 600 miles on my Ranger....One tank fill so far, but I'm barely squeezing out 17MPG. I'm driving normal to conservative and was expecting much better gas mileage. Some of you are getting well over 20-22 MPG so I'm scratching my head here.
In town for me has never gone above 16-17mpg.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Have 600 miles on my Ranger....One tank fill so far, but I'm barely squeezing out 17MPG. I'm driving normal to conservative and was expecting much better gas mileage. Some of you are getting well over 20-22 MPG so I'm scratching my head here.
It took several thousand miles before I saw decent mpg. Mine was between 17-18 mpg until I hit the 3-5000 mile mark. Now I get 20 or so.

Gary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
20210808_165829.jpg

Dr_Strangelove

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 XLT Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Art & Design
@Ranger_22 - I also have a brand new Ranger living "big city life", 618 Miles on odometer (Ford Pass app is cool!), will probably be filling my truck up again later this week for the second time and can update this data. Very similar truck age to yours. For comparison, my first tank averaged 20.5 MPG on the computer which I hand-calculated to 19.2 MPG. My second tank is displaying 21.9 MPG which I anticipate I will be hand-calculating down as well.

Some data for you: my daily commute is about 40 miles round trip, 50/50 mix of congested light-to-light city traffic and free-flowing freeway driving on a 4-lane interstate. When I have it my way my cruise control is set anywhere between 68-72 MPH on the highway but I find if people are aggressive and zippy I will move it up to 75 to execute safe, speedy passes, etc. I would say my average moving speed in city traffic is around 15-20 MPH. The speed limit is 45 mph on our roads but it is rarely consistently moving.

Would you say your driving habits are similar to mine, using speeds and distances as metrics? Or how would you modify your routine compared to mine?

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
An added 2 mpg and 15 hp at the rear wheels. :wink:
That damper added at least 20 HP to my front wheels (unfortunately, I'm a 2-wheel drive XL, so I'm not sure how that works). =p

Crappy mileage too, only 16.6 right now BUT ... my trips are 95% under 5 miles and I just turned 1000 miles.

I only use Sunoco 93 octane fuel and often use cruise control (set to the 25 mph on my short routes to the dump, grocery store, and post office).

Time will tell and it doesn't change my enjoyment of the Ranger—I absolutely love Soupie and my complaints are incredibly minor. =)

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That damper added at least 20 HP to my front wheels (unfortunately, I'm a 2-wheel drive XL, so I'm not sure how that works). =p

Crappy mileage too, only 16.6 right now BUT ... my trips are 95% under 5 miles and I just turned 1000 miles.

I only use Sunoco 93 octane fuel and often use cruise control (set to the 25 mph on my short routes to the dump, grocery store, and post office).

Time will tell and it doesn't change my enjoyment of the Ranger—I absolutely love Soupie and my complaints are incredibly minor. =)
David, I'm guessing 90% of those miles are dump runs? :shock: You have to venture out beyond the dump and you'll see much better mpg. ?

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
David, I'm guessing 90% of those miles are dump runs? :shock: You have to venture out beyond the dump and you'll see much better mpg. ?
Dave remember most trash trucks do a lot of start & stop which kill mpg's. :LOL: :LOL::LOL:

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Dave remember most trash trucks do a lot of start & stop which kill mpg's. :LOL: :LOL::LOL:
True, like last week picking up the neighbor's leaf cans.

Who says dreams don't come true!
Sponsored