New Purchase - things to check at dealer

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
I guess they are only installing 4 now, its only about $40 shipped for the 2 hooks and 4 bolts from a ford dealer on the internet. The only reason I installed them was because i installed the swing cases on both sides and they use the mounting bolts for the center hooks. If you wanted to do it cheaper just get some bolts and move the rear hooks to the middle and put your hardware store bolts on the rear you wont see them with the swing cases installed and you really cant use the rear hooks with the swing cases installed either.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
We found a small dent on the roof after we got home from the dealership (unfortunately I didn't check the roof at the dealership). They were closed so we took it in the next morning. We were pretty much accused of putting the dent there. We no longer do business with them.
When we picked up our 2019...everybody walked around the Ranger and eyeballed for damage. The salesman told me he had a customer return the next day to try to get the dealer to repair a side swipe damaged area on her new Explorer...turns out video indicated the Explorer left the dealership intact.
When I had the MagnaFlo cat back installed...the shop walked around and checked the Ranger out and took pictures. I asked him if he ever had problems with customers. He told me it had come up several times. Video and pictures solved the problem. I'm always learning new things.
We had my wife's M40i in to get an oil change...the dealer managed to dent the rear side panel...video proved the dent was put there while in the dealership. They bought that one.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
When we picked up our 2019...everybody walked around the Ranger and eyeballed for damage. The salesman told me he had a customer return the next day to try to get the dealer to repair a side swipe damaged area on her new Explorer...turns out video indicated the Explorer left the dealership intact.
When I had the MagnaFlo cat back installed...the shop walked around and checked the Ranger out and took pictures. I asked him if he ever had problems with customers. He told me it had come up several times. Video and pictures solved the problem. I'm always learning new things.
We had my wife's M40i in to get an oil change...the dealer managed to dent the rear side panel...video proved the dent was put there while in the dealership. They bought that one.
My son, who was a mechanic at the dealership, did the PDI. There were no dents, scratches, anything. A little later he heard a boom & one of the guys had backed my Ranger into a F-250. Scratched up my hitch. They painted it & told asked my son not to say anything. Then the guy pulled it around to wash it. My son thinks the roof dent happened then. He said they had trouble keeping the garage door up & he thinks it my have hit it or something. Anyway, it wasn't there before they washed it according to him. I'm fine about the hitch situation. They fixed it. But the fact that they asked my son not to say anything about what they did & then accused US for denting the roof..... unacceptable. But I've moved on. Hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for my Ranger one bit! :inlove:

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
My son, who was a mechanic at the dealership, did the PDI. There were no dents, scratches, anything. A little later he heard a boom & one of the guys had backed my Ranger into a F-250. Scratched up my hitch. They painted it & told asked my son not to say anything. Then the guy pulled it around to wash it. My son thinks the roof dent happened then. He said they had trouble keeping the garage door up & he thinks it my have hit it or something. Anyway, it wasn't there before they washed it according to him. I'm fine about the hitch situation. They fixed it. But the fact that they asked my son not to say anything about what they did & then accused US for denting the roof..... unacceptable. But I've moved on. Hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for my Ranger one bit! :inlove:
Now that is a story....and I'd be convinced to never go there again. If the service guys are that careless, I'm glad you got your ranger back.

Chuck Lau

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger...2005 Mustang Steeda
Occupation
Retired
My tires were over inflated by 12 to 14 pounds................just sayin.
The reason they were overinflated is because the factory does it on purpose so the delivering carrier can tie it down without problems.....The dealer is supposed to check the pressure & adjust it when the mechanic preps the vehicle for delivery.....Mechanic charges flat rate time for prepping a car or truck.....No one seems to give a shit anymore!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The reason they were overinflated is because the factory does it on purpose so the delivering carrier can tie it down without problems.....The dealer is supposed to check the pressure & adjust it when the mechanic preps the vehicle for delivery.....Mechanic charges flat rate time for prepping a car or truck.....No one seems to give a shit anymore!
Hi Chuck,

I have covered this topic before, but will do it again. The high inflation pressure is needed to ensure the tires seat on the wheel at the assembly plant. You are correct that the dealer PDI entails adjusting tire pressure, but many dealers fail to do so, sad to say. It hurts the initial driveaway impression of too harsh ride or bouncy etc.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Not for anything but I would never allow my truck to be washed at the dealer. You can bet they're using dirty rags and towels. Now my truck is white Platinum so it's pretty much stay clean looking even though there's a thin film of dirt on the whole truck. I would rather go through an automatic car wash let the dealers wash my truck and I'm not OCD about keeping it shiny.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Not for anything but I would never allow my truck to be washed at the dealer. You can bet they're using dirty rags and towels. Now my truck is white Platinum so it's pretty much stay clean looking even though there's a thin film of dirt on the whole truck. I would rather go through an automatic car wash let the dealers wash my truck and I'm not OCD about keeping it shiny.
[/QUOTE
They did it before I received it. No way will my husband let it be washed at the dealership now (although it's a different one)!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

I wouldn't even bring it through a car wash unless it's touch-less. Those big long microfiber towels hanging there are just picking up everyone else's dirt and raking it across your truck. White will hide the fine scratches more but my Saber will show every scratch .

Last edited:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Hi Chuck,

The high inflation pressure is needed to ensure the tires seat on the wheel at the assembly plant.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Maybe that's a CYA requirement.
A new tire at room temperature will seat in as little as 15psi, and always by 35 psi. By then if it hasn't seated, there is likely a bad rim lip or misinformed bead. More air won't get it to seat. I go with @Chuck Lau's answer. The vehicle is held in place on the auto carrier by wrapping a strap around each tire and cinching them down to strap points on the ramp structure of the carrier. At normal psi, the strap can become loose as the strap continually puts the squeeze on the tire and potentially rock the vehicle enough where it contacts an adjacent vehicle. With ~45psi, the tire is firm enough to not be compressed by the strap.

I wonder too if some dealers purposely leave the tires overinflated as a "customer satisfaction" angle? ..."Wow! I'm getting better milage on my new Ranger than the EPA estimate!" I know of one independent lube shop that would do that during their 8-point check; over inflate by ~10psi so that the customer would hopefully perceive how much better their fuel milage was using that brand of oil and return for the next time.

Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT/2013 F-150/1976 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Again with the tie down hooks :rolleyes: ..... Mine was a 8/19 build and only had 4 in the bed. I ordered two more with the bolts, cost around $50.... Some fellas have been able to pitch a fit and get them from the dealer. To each his own, I did find the additional hooks useful in the center location and have already used them on dirt trips.

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Again with the tie down hooks :rolleyes: ..... Mine was a 8/19 build and only had 4 in the bed. I ordered two more with the bolts, cost around $50.... Some fellas have been able to pitch a fit and get them from the dealer. To each his own, I did find the additional hooks useful in the center location and have already used them on dirt trips.
I had a 2016 GMC Canyon before the Ranger, and it only had four--that seems to be enough for my purposes.

Chuck Lau

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Maybe that's a CYA requirement.
A new tire at room temperature will seat in as little as 15psi, and always by 35 psi. By then if it hasn't seated, there is likely a bad rim lip or misinformed bead. More air won't get it to seat. I go with @Chuck Lau's answer. The vehicle is held in place on the auto carrier by wrapping a strap around each tire and cinching them down to strap points on the ramp structure of the carrier. At normal psi, the strap can become loose as the strap continually puts the squeeze on the tire and potentially rock the vehicle enough where it contacts an adjacent vehicle. With ~45psi, the tire is firm enough to not be compressed by the strap.

I wonder too if some dealers purposely leave the tires overinflated as a "customer satisfaction" angle? ..."Wow! I'm getting better milage on my new Ranger than the EPA estimate!" I know of one independent lube shop that would do that during their 8-point check; over inflate by ~10psi so that the customer would hopefully perceive how much better their fuel milage was using that brand of oil and return for the next time.
I worked for Chrysler/ Dodge in Cleveland, Ohio for 30+ years & was told by the Cassens Carrier Driver they over inflate the Tires for safety during transportation.....Like I said before Part of the PDI is to reduce the tire pressure to 35PSI.

Chuck Lau

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Check the roof.
Definitely CHECK your Roof.....I got my 2020 Ranger on Feb. 20th 2020 snowy day & all...Checked everything all the panels under the hood...Interior but did not check the roof.....Lazer washed it & hand dried it On A 50 Degree day in Ohio & low & behold found several dirt under the paint Defects.....Called the Dealer to make sure they noted the defect on my Service File....Body Shop Manager looked at it Yesterday took Pictures & said he would be back in contact with me soon....I believe they will make it right.....If not I know the Dealership GM very well so he will handle if necessary.....To ALL Taking Delivery of your New Ranger's....CHECK YOUR ROOF.....
Sponsored