New Member. Looking at trucks. Ease My Insanity.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I think you mentioned that you keep vehicles less than a year - maybe you should share with the board how you keep your sanity as I find the car buying process to be a frustrating, degrading, time consuming, painful, joyless, aggravating and plain stupid process.
Having said the above I stumbled on a very good deal for a Ranger Lariat, well equipped for $34k, 2019 dealer demo with 700 miles, not the color or trim package that I'd ideally choose but price was right. For several weeks prior to that it was all of the things I mentioned above - including a friend putting me touch with a relative who is the used car manager for several Ford dealerships, was promised he'd give me 1st look at used rangers at close to their acquisition cost - then he sends me a coupon for $500 off any vehicle - I asked "is this some kind of a joke" So to me it's 3 Ps - patience, perseverance and providence, and some luck. So best of luck to you, I think it's a really nice vehicle and I'm 100% happy with it.
Sponsored

GTHAYS

First Name
Glynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX
Occupation
23 Years in Prison on the 8 hour installment plan. (Retired, intact)
I had the same debate back in May when I pulled the trigger on a white STX. Coming out of an 03 Ford F150 XLT and a 17 Fiesta SE. Loved the gas mileage of the Fiesta, loved the F15 for it being a truck. I have the best of both worlds now and with the deals going on I got a great deal before the supply dwindled on the lot I love it, and when I have to go somewhere I see 28-29 MPG using 91 to 93 octane depending on what I can get. Good room inside and more comfortable. the FWD button has never been a concern. I miss the lever on the floor next to the manual transmission from the truck, but getting older and I love this 10 speed auto. STX has the base radio and it's good enough for me. Tailgate stock and works fine for me. Use the FWD to go out in the desert and it's great on the trails. Haven't had it in snow yet, but look forward to winter to see how it does. Unless you really need the bigger truck the new sized Ranger is a great compromise. I only tow a quad on a small trailer so I never get near the max towing that the other guys can speak better about. I barely know the trailer is back there. Hope some of this helps.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
First off hey all. And this may be long. Been going crazy looking at new/used trucks. I think I am going insane.
Currently I have a 2016 Challenger Hellcat and because of covid and the summer pricing, I am getting a crazy trade in value. Which affects the amount that dealers will come off on the new vehicle too by the way. Got about 7500 in trade equity for reference.

I have been looking at getting a truck to drive for a few years and get rid of such an extreme car (normally I keep vehicles for less than a year). But this time I plan to keep a while. And it has come down to ranger or f150. Ranger is more enough for what I would need it for. But I have owned bigger trucks in the past, so that isn't an issue. Long story short, used f150s are crazy expensive. 11-14 F150 are already rusted out so that is out of the question. And I personally dislike the 15-17 front end. So that leaves 2018+ F150s and 2019+ Rangers.

Prices:
-The 2018+ F150 with decent options and less than 40k miles goes for easily 32,000+.
-Used 2019 Ranger with decent options is 31-32000+
-I got a quoted price for a leftover 2019 Ranger XLT for 36k @ 0% for 72 months (msrp is 37k, and minus trade would be 29500 financed after tax/fees). Is that decent?

A used ranger doesn't seem worth it, neither does a used f150 versus just buyin the new ranger.

Need some insight because everything I find is: Why buy a ranger when an f150 is the same price? Which is straight BS. Anybody that says this has no idea what stuff costs. An f150 with 2 options: 4x4 and crewcab is 40k right out the gate. This is no cruise, no sync 3, no hitch, 3.3 non turbo, basicly nothing. If you spec the f150 to exactly the same as the ranger xlt it is 45-46,000. (there are more incentives on the f150 though but not enough to over come it). The ONLY way to buy an f150 the same price or slightly cheaper is used. Period. I would rather have a brand new ranger than a used f150.

And if the reviews aren't complaining about price they go off on the tailgate damper. Grow up! The tailgate weighs like 3lbs! Besides I would rather have my tailgate open NOW then wait for a damped one to open 15 seconds later.

And everybody and their brother has an f150, I don't want what everyone else has!

*Breathe* *Breathe*....... :)

Couple questions after test driving a few:
-Is anyone else bothered by the angle of the sync 3 screen?
-Does anyone wish they just ponyed up for the f150?
-I am bothered by the 4wd selector, it just infinitly spins and the detents are kinda weak. Anyone have transfer case selections problems or am I making an issue out of nothing?

Let me know what you all think.
Hey, man, welcome to the forum. Of course, choosing a new truck is a very individual thing, and so ultimately it all depends on what you like. (It's like being in love: You either feel it or you don't....) For what it's worth, for my purposes, the F-150 is a great vehicle but more truck that I need and just too big to be practical; the Ranger gives me all the benefits of truck ownership in a convenient and (relatively) economical package. I see really cool-looking F-150's on the road every day, and I admire them, but I never find myself wishing that I had bought one. I bought a 2019 Lariat FX4, but my understanding is that the 2020 is not significantly different, and you could certainly save a bundle by getting a gently used 2019 (or even an unused one) at a significant discount vs. a new 2020. Until you mentioned it, it had never occurred to me that the Sync screen's angle could be a problem, and I still can't see how it could be. Forum members complain about a lot of stuff, but I do not recall anyone who was unhappy with the angle. I have not used the 4WD selector enough to have an opinion; some of the members who go off road more than I do may have opinions to offer you. Whatever you choose, enjoy your truck!

Deleted member 1634

I think you mentioned that you keep vehicles less than a year - maybe you should share with the board how you keep your sanity as I find the car buying process to be a frustrating, degrading, time consuming, painful, joyless, aggravating and plain stupid process.
Having said the above I stumbled on a very good deal for a Ranger Lariat, well equipped for $34k, 2019 dealer demo with 700 miles, not the color or trim package that I'd ideally choose but price was right. For several weeks prior to that it was all of the things I mentioned above - including a friend putting me touch with a relative who is the used car manager for several Ford dealerships, was promised he'd give me 1st look at used rangers at close to their acquisition cost - then he sends me a coupon for $500 off any vehicle - I asked "is this some kind of a joke" So to me it's 3 Ps - patience, perseverance and providence, and some luck. So best of luck to you, I think it's a really nice vehicle and I'm 100% happy with it.
Same! I can't imagine going through the purchase process every year. Not accounting for the fact that it takes me a couple years just to research and decide on a vehicle. The purchase process is horrible, outdated, and overly time consuming. If I can help it, I'm not going to buy another vehicle until I can do 100%, if not 95%, online without nagging salespeople and the stupid back and forth.

OP
OP
geophb

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Thats the problem i'm having. I am buying with the mindset of keeping for atleast 3 years, trying for 5 yrs. Thats why I feel like I am going crazy.
When you buy with the mindset of only keeping for a year, the little stuff doesn't matter. Only thing that truly matters is the resale in a year. And this would be the first "normal" vehicle in a while, usually I go for oddball/rare models which helps the resale, then sell/trade in a year and repeat. (its a combo of boredom, lost interest, and ADD)

Secondly check out Carvana they sometimes give better trade in values. I would also work on brining the price down and check out some other dealers online to see what they are offering.
I doub't I would get any better trade in on carvana. Dealers do a numbers pushing game, this dealer is willing to give me $2500 more on trade but the next dealer may not, but will give me $2500 dealer discount. Its all a wash either way.
If you factor it all in (extra trade, 1000 off, and 0%) its essentially getting the 2019 Ranger xlt for $31,xxx. Its all a numbers game.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
The tailgate weighs like 3lbs! Besides I would rather have my tailgate open NOW then wait for a damped one to open 15 seconds later.
Hahah. You need to get a Ranger and hang out here to make tailgate damper jokes with some of us. It's kind of a thing.

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I did for my truck (I got an offer for more than I paid not that I'm going to sell my truck). Took a few mins all online.

Also, its a 2019 they probably want to off load it too so I would play hard ball. Offer him your car and 25,000 with the 0% see what they do

I doub't I would get any better trade in on carvana. Dealers do a numbers pushing game, this dealer is willing to give me $2500 more on trade but the next dealer may not, but will give me $2500 dealer discount. Its all a wash either way.
If you factor it all in (extra trade, 1000 off, and 0%) its essentially getting the 2019 Ranger xlt for $31,xxx. Its all a numbers game.
[/QUOTE]

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
We have both. 2018 F150 and 2019 Ranger. Both XLTs with 302A tech and towing packages. Ranger is an FX4. F150 is a straight 4x4.

Love both. And they're very different vehicles, for different purposes and with different benefits. Although they're both trucks, I don't see them as truly comparable beyond having a bed and 4-wheel drive options.

Nothing you don't know:

The F150 - extremely comfortable on longer drives (cross-country; spacious; riding on a lazyboy), better for bigger hauls, suited for the suburbs and the country, too big for trails (width, wheelbase), better MPG (that surprised me), drives well, retains resale, and fast but lumbering (much faster in Sport than I would have thought).

Ranger - comfortable but better suited for shorter trips , sporty uses (it's much more fun; lifestyle machine), easier in suburban and city areas, better for my spouse/smaller and more maneuverable car, limited bed capacity but enough for us (we don't haul more than the dogs and weekend warrior toys/tents/skis), quick, 5G=1G issues, resale TBD, and - worth a second tap - fun.

We plan to trade in our F150 next month. I'm not looking forward to it as it's one of the nicest, most comfortable + capable vehicles I've owned, but moving back to DC in 2021 means less room for a full sized truck. Hence the Ranger. Kept the truck capabilities and Ford comfort (if lessened) but added more fun/lifestyle utility and ease of urban area use.

I think the costs you've been quoted are high, but given the truck shortage they may be elevated but accurate.

In three years we've not had one issue with the F150. The Ranger has had a software problem (Ford induced when updating wheel size) and now the dreaded fuel in oil concern. That and the lame key bezel ring absence which brings into questions over build quality; still, "we" like the Ranger more. It's just a better vehicle for our lifestyle. I like the F150s comfort and spacious cabin; the Army and entering my 40s took a toll on my back. Like many, comfort is the biggest reason I'm not in a Tacoma.

Couple questions after test driving a few:
-Is anyone else bothered by the angle of the sync 3 screen? I've not been bothered. I like Sync compared to GM and FCA options.

-Does anyone wish they just ponyed up for the f150? Nope. Different trucks, with different lifestyle uses. I don't see them as interchangeable, but the comparison is natural.

-I am bothered by the 4wd selector, it just infinitly spins and the detents are kinda weak. Anyone have transfer case selections problems or am I making an issue out of nothing? None yet.

OP
OP
geophb

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Also, its a 2019 they probably want to off load it too so I would play hard ball. Offer him your car and 25,000 with the 0% see what they do
I did. The only thing that doesn't help me is is they don't have it on their lot, so its a dealer trade they have to do. The selection is pretty small out there.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I'm not really bothered by it, more of just noticed it when I first got in. It just felt excessively angled.

I agree 100%. I have been looking at the 2019 hot pepper or rapid red in 2020s. I kinda like the hot pepper more.
The Hot Pepper Red didn't seem to be moving as well on the lot when I was looking, so you can do much better price wise on one of those.

I got a fully loaded used Lariat for the 2019 XLT price you posted. F150 or any other full-size is about 6 inches too long for my garage so...

The T-case selector hasn't been an issue. It's much easier to feel than it appears. Angle of the screen hasn't ever crossed my mind.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
The Hot Pepper Red didn't seem to be moving as well on the lot when I was looking, so you can do much better price wise on one of those.

I got a fully loaded used Lariat for the 2019 XLT price you posted. F150 or any other full-size is about 6 inches too long for my garage so...

The T-case selector hasn't been an issue. It's much easier to feel than it appears. Angle of the screen hasn't ever crossed my mind.
I think the Nissan Titan can just squeeze into a standard size garage, at least it could in my garage with about 3" to spare.

Where did you get your Ranger, I picked mine up at Brighton Ford, dealer demo with 690 miles, also loaded FX4 Lariat, 501a for $ 34 k. Some options - like the chrome package and the defrost rear window I could do without. I have a friend looking for a well equipped Ranger and thus far he can't find a good/great deal.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I think the Nissan Titan can just squeeze into a standard size garage, at least it could in my garage with about 3" to spare.

Where did you get your Ranger, I picked mine up at Brighton Ford, dealer demo with 690 miles, also loaded FX4 Lariat, 501a for $ 34 k. Some options - like the chrome package and the defrost rear window I could do without. I have a friend looking for a well equipped Ranger and thus far he can't find a good/great deal.
SpradleyBarr in Fort Collins. Was a drive but was worth it.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
To answer your questions from my experience:

Never even thought about this. I love the sync 3 screen.

Nope - F-150s are too big for me - beautiful trucks, but just too large for me.

Never had an issue with this. I've never enabled it by mistake.

Short answer, if it meets your needs for towing, etc, I think the Ranger is the best option currently out there. I ordered mine to get exactly what I needed, and after almost 16 months and 15,000 miles, I would do the same thing again. I have zero regrets on my purchase. It is my favorite vehicle I've ever owned.
I totally agree! :)

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Around here, the Hot Pepper Red is pretty popular. It's also beautiful. The Ranger looks good no matter which color you pick. I love everything about my Ranger and feel that you can't go wrong with it. Be sure to test drive several models to find the one that works best for you. :)

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase