Reaction score
Website
justwideman.com
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Photographer/eCommerce
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't looked or compared, but....neighbor 1 door down from me has a 2022, and their on the 3rd engine...total block replacement for cracked block. It's the wife's daily driver, and she loves it. But if anything else happens, it's gonna go bye bye.
I have a '21 and it's on a 3rd engine (both cylinder wall cracks),second trans, and now it probably needs an alternator. It's just my daily and I never even had any fun with engine 2 as it only lasted 10k, the first engine lasted 80k. I love it when it works but is becoming like an ex that just loves me for my money.
Sponsored

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
My brother in law's ancient Nissan finally gave up the ghost and he is looking around. He's going for an early 2015 or so Chevy 1500 pickup. Looking for a clean one, and if necessary he will install a new drive train. He doesn't trust the new trucks and cars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I have a '21 and it's on a 3rd engine (both cylinder wall cracks),second trans, and now it probably needs an alternator. It's just my daily and I never even had any fun with engine 2 as it only lasted 10k, the first engine lasted 80k. I love it when it works but is becoming like an ex that just loves me for my money.
Is this a Hyundai?

Wow :shock:

JustWideman

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
justwideman.com
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Photographer/eCommerce
Vehicle Showcase
Is this a Hyundai?

Wow :shock:
Ranger XLT. I've had 4 Hyundai's and I put 230k on one in 5 years and it only cost me about 3k in AC and alternator in out-of-pocket repairs.

This Ranger has cost me nearly 20k more in two years and only 11,100mi. It will be a Ranger for the price of a Raptor by the time it's paid off!

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Good thing our trucks aren't made by Boeing.
I really like my Subaru. The older Crosstrek has no power, the
newer one(2.5l) is better. I liked the 2007 Escape I got from my father in law but something smoked in the dash & now no heat & the
motor overheats within 5 mins(water pump?). Guess I'll trash it.

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
If you want longevity......... let me find a low mileage 70'ish model Ford F 100, 300ci in line 6, 3 on the tree......... on man how I wish. Truly. With one of those, at about 350K miles just look at it, smile, and keep on going.
I'd love to have my old 1978 Chevy back. It was exactly as you described, except that I opted to move the shifter to the floor. I bought it new in 1978, it was kept in the family about 20 years. The original paint color was iffy. I had it painted in the late 80's. The before picture was shortly before I had it painted.

1978 Chevy Before After.jpg

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
I bought a brand new 1976 C20 350 4 speed 2wd. It was my first new vehicle and first vehicle with electronic ignition. Paid $4400 cash with tax and bedliner. Best vehicle ever 100k trouble free miles. Only problem I had was the wire to the distributor module, in the distributor broke inside the insulation from the vacuum advance moving and it took me a week to find it. Really intermittent contact that would come and go. Pretty amazing to go from messing with points and plugs to maintenance free engines. That 350 4 speed towed a 60k pound Mack dump truck about 4 miles one day when a friend had a break down with the granny low. Had to go when the total bottom of the cab rusted off with only the steering wheel holding the body on made it uninspectionable.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Good thing our trucks aren't made by Boeing.
I really like my Subaru. The older Crosstrek has no power, the
newer one(2.5l) is better. I liked the 2007 Escape I got from my father in law but something smoked in the dash & now no heat & the
motor overheats within 5 mins(water pump?). Guess I'll trash it.
I don't know, has anyone lost a door at cruising speed on the highway?

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
I hope Ford read the NTSB report, hmm must put all the bolts on each hinge most of the time even on Mondays and Friday afternoons..... :crackup:
Interesting in Australia we have the ATSB, same function, but must be a great place to work as we hardly have any air crashes apart from light planes, which of course fall out of the sky regularly like they do everywhere in the world. Although to be fair, their jurisdiction also covers rail, and sea transport accidents, and they often help out in developing world accidents.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Interesting! Let's see some cost figures.
as a general example you can find info that says a $50k auto will cost between $34k and $38k to make - that represents only material cost and direct labor, other costs that makers incur can include R&D, advertising, overhead (heat. electricity, buildings)

overall auto making is a hugely competitive industry.

I just saw news about US Steel being up for sale, it was once the most valuable company on the planet, Nippon Steel wants to buy it for a mere $14B but the gov opposes the sale.

Last edited:

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
You don't want that to happen, we used to have a multitude of blast furnaces and steel mills here producing high quality cast iron, and steel from local iron ore, limestone, and coal. Now they've all gone except for one. (Kembla mills still make high grade steel stock)
Now mostly gone due to corporate greed, short sighted politicians, over the top environmental laws, and disorganised labour.

It does make a difference, I can buy aftermarket locally made blades for my ride on mower which are actually made from Aus made spring steel coil from our local rural supply co-op. We have a rough, bushy acreage, they usually last 2-3 seasons. Cheap Chinese ones from the mower shop in town are lucky to last 1 year and are absolutely buggered by then with the edges long gone. If you actually hit something hard with them they just fold up.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I just saw news about US Steel being up for sale, it was once the most valuable company on the planet, Nippon Steel wants to buy it for a mere $14B but the gov opposes the sale.
I hope they don't let communist China buy it.
Sponsored