New Member. Looking at trucks. Ease My Insanity.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
First off hey all. And this may be long. Been going crazy looking at new/used trucks. I think I am going insane.
Currently I have a 2016 Challenger Hellcat and because of covid and the summer pricing, I am getting a crazy trade in value. Which affects the amount that dealers will come off on the new vehicle too by the way. Got about 7500 in trade equity for reference.

I have been looking at getting a truck to drive for a few years and get rid of such an extreme car (normally I keep vehicles for less than a year). But this time I plan to keep a while. And it has come down to ranger or f150. Ranger is more enough for what I would need it for. But I have owned bigger trucks in the past, so that isn't an issue. Long story short, used f150s are crazy expensive. 11-14 F150 are already rusted out so that is out of the question. And I personally dislike the 15-17 front end. So that leaves 2018+ F150s and 2019+ Rangers.

Prices:
-The 2018+ F150 with decent options and less than 40k miles goes for easily 32,000+.
-Used 2019 Ranger with decent options is 31-32000+
-I got a quoted price for a leftover 2019 Ranger XLT for 36k @ 0% for 72 months (msrp is 37k, and minus trade would be 29500 financed after tax/fees). Is that decent?

A used ranger doesn't seem worth it, neither does a used f150 versus just buyin the new ranger.

Need some insight because everything I find is: Why buy a ranger when an f150 is the same price? Which is straight BS. Anybody that says this has no idea what stuff costs. An f150 with 2 options: 4x4 and crewcab is 40k right out the gate. This is no cruise, no sync 3, no hitch, 3.3 non turbo, basicly nothing. If you spec the f150 to exactly the same as the ranger xlt it is 45-46,000. (there are more incentives on the f150 though but not enough to over come it). The ONLY way to buy an f150 the same price or slightly cheaper is used. Period. I would rather have a brand new ranger than a used f150.

And if the reviews aren't complaining about price they go off on the tailgate damper. Grow up! The tailgate weighs like 3lbs! Besides I would rather have my tailgate open NOW then wait for a damped one to open 15 seconds later.

And everybody and their brother has an f150, I don't want what everyone else has!

*Breathe* *Breathe*....... :)

Couple questions after test driving a few:
-Is anyone else bothered by the angle of the sync 3 screen?
-Does anyone wish they just ponyed up for the f150?
-I am bothered by the 4wd selector, it just infinitly spins and the detents are kinda weak. Anyone have transfer case selections problems or am I making an issue out of nothing?

Let me know what you all think.
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
First off hey all. And this may be long. Been going crazy looking at new/used trucks. I think I am going insane.
Currently I have a 2016 Challenger Hellcat and because of covid and the summer pricing, I am getting a crazy trade in value. Which affects the amount that dealers will come off on the new vehicle too by the way. Got about 7500 in trade equity for reference.

I have been looking at getting a truck to drive for a few years and get rid of such an extreme car (normally I keep vehicles for less than a year). But this time I plan to keep a while. And it has come down to ranger or f150. Ranger is more enough for what I would need it for. But I have owned bigger trucks in the past, so that isn't an issue. Long story short, used f150s are crazy expensive. 11-14 F150 are already rusted out so that is out of the question. And I personally dislike the 15-17 front end. So that leaves 2018+ F150s and 2019+ Rangers.

Prices:
-The 2018+ F150 with decent options and less than 40k miles goes for easily 32,000+.
-Used 2019 Ranger with decent options is 31-32000+
-I got a quoted price for a leftover 2019 Ranger XLT for 36k @ 0% for 72 months (msrp is 37k, and minus trade would be 29500 financed after tax/fees). Is that decent?

A used ranger doesn't seem worth it, neither does a used f150 versus just buyin the new ranger.

Need some insight because everything I find is: Why buy a ranger when an f150 is the same price? Which is straight BS. Anybody that says this has no idea what stuff costs. An f150 with 2 options: 4x4 and crewcab is 40k right out the gate. This is no cruise, no sync 3, no hitch, 3.3 non turbo, basicly nothing. If you spec the f150 to exactly the same as the ranger xlt it is 45-46,000. (there are more incentives on the f150 though but not enough to over come it). The ONLY way to buy an f150 the same price or slightly cheaper is used. Period. I would rather have a brand new ranger than a used f150.

And if the reviews aren't complaining about price they go off on the tailgate damper. Grow up! The tailgate weighs like 3lbs! Besides I would rather have my tailgate open NOW then wait for a damped one to open 15 seconds later.

And everybody and their brother has an f150, I don't want what everyone else has!

*Breathe* *Breathe*....... :)

Couple questions after test driving a few:
-I am bothered by the 4wd selector, it just infinitly spins and the detents are kinda weak. Anyone have transfer case selections problems or am I making an issue out of nothing?

Let me know what you all think.
OK, here's my story. I had a 2012 ranger extended cab ranger with 4.0 SOHC, bought new TT. Liked the old ranger, but it was a bit marginal towing new TT. Read a lot of reviews and decided to stay with a ranger, I don't need a full size truck. Found one at my local dealer in the color we wanted, didn't want black, grey, white, silver. Too many of them on the road, wanted something different. Also didn't want leather seat and didn't care for the Lariat dash. Have a lightening blue super crew XLT FX4 with sport appearance. Love this truck.

Now to answer your questions:
1. No issues with SYNC screen angle. Full disclosure first vehicle I've had with touch screen.
2. No, as I said I don't need a full size truck. My ranger does all I need and more. Fun to drive and get a lot of kooks and perking lot comments.
3. I haven't had any issues the the drive selector. I just watch the lights and let the knob end up where it does. I'm not an off-roader so it only get used occasionally. Someone else may have more comments/feelings on this.

Hope this helped.

WARNING - if you get one and stay on this forum be prepared to spend on mods and things you didn't know you needed. LOL ?

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I think this is something that is subjective enough that it doesn't matter if I'm bothered by it. The question is, are you bothered by it?
Not really. If I even get the inkling that I should have gotten the next size up, I simply drive to work and parallel park my Ranger right in front of my building. And then I try to think of something I could have done with an F-150 that I couldn't do with the Ranger.
I've not had any issues, but I also only rarely pop it into 4wd.

OP
OP
geophb

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I think this is something that is subjective enough that it doesn't matter if I'm bothered by it. The question is, are you bothered by it?
I'm not really bothered by it, more of just noticed it when I first got in. It just felt excessively angled.

Found one at my local dealer in the color we wanted, didn't want black, grey, white, silver. Too many of them on the road, wanted something different
I agree 100%. I have been looking at the 2019 hot pepper or rapid red in 2020s. I kinda like the hot pepper more.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I've had them both and the Ranger works better for me now. I have no need for a large truck anymore. It tows plenty for what I need. MPGs are much better and it's a very strong engine for the size of the truck. If you can afford to get what you need, it shouldn't be about the price and should be about the need. There's been a ton of posts discussing the cost difference between the F-150 and the Ranger. What do you NEED to meet your lifestyle requirements?

Regarding the 4wd selector, it is weird but works well. IMHO, the little things you mention as an issue are minimal and you'll get used to it, really.

Drive them both and see how you fit and feel in it.

I have a 2019 Lariat FX4 with a A.R.E. cap. 17,000 miles and it's gets better every week... really, it does. I tow 4,500 lbs regularly and the turbo is amazing.

I've recently been using 92/93 octane and this machine is a beast. Mpgs are consistently mid 20's and 27/28 on the highway. Occasionally, I'll burn someone off the line just to see their face in my side mirror. Their faces are usually one of: ? or ? or ?. Either one is fine with me. I've yet to be beaten. Remember, I pull back once I get to the speed limit.

BTW... the damped tailgate goes down in 4 seconds, not 15. By the time you release the lever, turn around to get the load, it's down. ?. Do you NEED IT? No, but I love it.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
- Haven't even thought about the angle of the sync 3 screen
- Was seriously considering an F-150, but ultimately decided on the Ranger because full size trucks are just too damn big. If you really look at the Ranger, it is still a pretty big vehicle. Ponying up for an F-150 with FX4 and the tow package would have gotten me a truck that is too big to fit in my garage with far more capability than I will ever touch.
- You have to shade the dial to see which mode you're in if it's in direct sunlight, but otherwise the dial works OK. If you spin it too quickly/carelessly you will skip around, but I think the truck's software takes that into account and delays the transfer for a moment.

You're totally right about the tailgate. It's so light you don't even have the same problems that pushed for damped tailgates to begin with. I may go aftermarket, but only because my mtb rack requires I ride with the tailgate down. A damper may help reduce tailgate movement on my way to the trailhead.

Last edited:

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Lariat, color Saber, all the bells and whistles
Occupation
Retired
No No and No, nothing like buying new, for a number of obvious reasons, and deals are not to bad now and may get a little better. In the end whatever your wallet can afford and what puts a smile on your face. Can not go wrong with the Ranger and good luck with your decision.

OP
OP
geophb

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The other issue is I don't see any on the road. (not really an issue) But its always in the back of my head. Why?
Ford pushes the F150 too much?
Ranger still too new yet?
Location? (I live in a moderately rural area where if you don't drive a F350 Long box dually diesel you might as well be driving a car)
People don't like them? (People that own them seem to really like them)

I think i'm going the new (leftover) ranger route.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
The other issue is I don't see any on the road. (not really an issue) But its always in the back of my head. Why?
Ford pushes the F150 too much?
Ranger still too new yet?
Location? (I live in a moderately rural area where if you don't drive a F350 Long box dually diesel you might as well be driving a car)
People don't like them? (People that own them seem to really like them)

I think i'm going the new (leftover) ranger route.
I think you'll find driving the Ranger...compared to the TACO, Colorado, and Jeep Truck that it's kind of a sweet spot of all of them. Good at everything, most towing capacity, spunky engine, handles all conditions well, 24/25 mph on premium, and priced right. I really enjoy tinkering with the ranger as well. It's very easy to modify it and maintain it. I think the only negative so far are the soft suspension if that's not your thing. I plan on owning this truck for as long it runs. It's the kind of truck that can be the daily driver around town or tuned up to take on everything. Not a fan of the all the dealership mark ups to create a truck that's capable of all trails. I got a fully loaded Lariat at the end of last year for 38k and zero % financing. Have a feeling if you're willing to wait similar deals will come up. For that price it's a steal compared to the trucks mentioned above.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Find the 2019 Ranger you like most and buy it! Don't look back!!
Also, considering a damper may cause undo headaches and/or harassment on this forum...or not, but maybe or not. Well, it might be a good choice or not...
But the Ranger definitely won't disappoint!! :crazy:

Good luck!

PS - Iconic Silver is the way to go (uh oh...incoming!!!)

Rascalrider

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 For Ranger
Occupation
Construction/Retired
Was kinda in your same boat...
Needed to be able to tow
Needed better MPG
Had a F150(2.7) son needed a truck, bought a Tundra(5.7) towed good but horrific mpgs. Had two Tacoma’s and liked the size but was able to get the Ranger with better towing and mileage new for what an equivalent used Taco would have cost. Really enjoying the Ranger so far! Had the ecoboost in a 15 Mustang PP so wasn’t worried about power.

PS Mods will drain your wallet!! But that also adds to the fun!

FordFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4 Ranger, 2022 Sonata Limited
Occupation
Engineer
I just traded in my Lariat FX4 F-150. Dealer is selling it for 45k, and gave me 42.9k for it. It was similarly equipped but had a power rear window, ventilated seats, and power open tailgate with pano roof. It DIDN'T have TMS, LED headlights, adaptive cruise, auto high beam, auto wipers, and only the front doors had the touchless entry. You really can’t compare them. My F-150 was 57k new, and my Ranger was 42k new. The Rangers are priced very competitively with what you get.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
To answer your questions from my experience:

Never even thought about this. I love the sync 3 screen.

Nope - F-150s are too big for me - beautiful trucks, but just too large for me.

Never had an issue with this. I've never enabled it by mistake.

Short answer, if it meets your needs for towing, etc, I think the Ranger is the best option currently out there. I ordered mine to get exactly what I needed, and after almost 16 months and 15,000 miles, I would do the same thing again. I have zero regrets on my purchase. It is my favorite vehicle I've ever owned.

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
While I can't answer about the 4 WD as I have the 2WD version. However, I started by looking at the F150 and it was huge way to big for my needs. I love the size of the Ranger and to price out a F150 with the same options was way more then the Ranger when you compare apples to apples.

Secondly check out Carvana they sometimes give better trade in values. I would also work on brining the price down and check out some other dealers online to see what they are offering.
Sponsored