New 2020 Ranger issues

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Bought a 2020 Ranger Extracab (Lariat) yesterday, Love the truck, but when I got it home I had the dreaded door ajar (and the cargo light and puddle lights) would not go off. I disconnected the battery, and then used a screw driver to trigger the rear door latch and finally got it to go off, but in reading posts this is a known problem. Will Ford fix it?

Also the Ranger Bounce, I read reviews and on my test drive decided it wasn't too bad. But after a drive down a rough road I could clearly feel the bucking of the suspension. Is there a fix for that as well? (I do not have the FX2 package). I am not interested in replacing suspension parts that will raise the suspension as my dog needs to be able to jump into the bed. But would like to make the ride better.

I also ordered the hopkins tailgate assist (EASY LIFT) , anyone done that?

Much thanks in advance
Sponsored

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I'd start with rear shocks. I'm not happy with the side to side jarring of the suspension. I ordered some Bilstein rear shocks. It sounds like the Eibach, Bilstein, or Fox are the most popular and it sould help substantially. There are also more expensive options. Check out Stage 3 motorsports to see what's available. However, I would say stay away from Rough Country.

Most people are using the tailgate damper- sounds like a better use then the tailgate assist.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Check your tire pressure. Dealers are notorious for not lowering it from the levels they're shipped at which usually around 45 PSI which is way too high.
That's was going to be my suggestion also Jason. My tires were all over 45 psi.

Dave, John also has a good suggestion. My Super Cab is the same. I just give the back doors a solid push to make sure they are closed. I don't slam them, I just keep my hand on the door and push until it's closed. Works for me.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Bought a 2020 Ranger Extracab (Lariat) yesterday, Love the truck, but when I got it home I had the dreaded door ajar (and the cargo light and puddle lights) would not go off. I disconnected the battery, and then used a screw driver to trigger the rear door latch and finally got it to go off, but in reading posts this is a known problem. Will Ford fix it?

Also the Ranger Bounce, I read reviews and on my test drive decided it wasn't too bad. But after a drive down a rough road I could clearly feel the bucking of the suspension. Is there a fix for that as well? (I do not have the FX2 package). I am not interested in replacing suspension parts that will raise the suspension as my dog needs to be able to jump into the bed. But would like to make the ride better.

Much thanks in advance
Ditto on the tire pressure, mine were at 45 lbs also. Lowering the pressure will greatly improve the ride. You might also check the level of the windshield washer fluid, mine was very low from the factory.

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Check your tire pressure. Dealers are notorious for not lowering it from the levels they're shipped at which usually around 45 PSI which is way too high.

I picked mine up and they had 40 PSI. Door sticker called for 30 PSI

Stevo56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT, 2016 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Occupation
Retired
When I got mine, tire pressure was 41 psi. I noticed the rough ride coming home from the dealer. I'm running at 31 psi now and it seems fine.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
my truck as delivered with 54psi in ALL...
I'm running 30-32 and all is good.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
My tires were overinflated too off the lot. I run 32-34 psi. I replaced the rear shocks an IMO it was the best mod I've done as far as living with the ranger as my Daily Driver.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
my tires were inflated properly.

suck on that beotches. and Happy Holidays to all ???

and you probably fixed the door latch yourself.
if it keeps doing it, then Ford will have no problem replacing it under warranty.
Merry Christmas RP! ?

Devil6

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

Much thanks in advance
On these very forum pages others have found that if you adjust your tire pressures you can lessen the bounce. With some experimentation you can find what works for you: rear 34-40 psi and front 32 to 38 psi.

The front is usually softer than the rear.

I also will lean slightly forward with my chest if the truck starts to bounce or buck. This gets my back off of the chair so my upper body is not being impacted. It isn’t optimal but prevents you from getting car sick.

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
That's was going to be my suggestion also Jason. My tires were all over 45 psi.

Dave, John also has a good suggestion. My Super Cab is the same. I just give the back doors a solid push to make sure they are closed. I don't slam them, I just keep my hand on the door and push until it's closed. Works for me.
Picked my my Ranger on Wednesday. Haven't driven it much yet but noticed this.

Screenshot_20201226-095715.png
Sponsored