First Name
Brenda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2021, FX2
Occupation
Teacher
Ok, here it goes; I traded my 2018 F-150 in for a 2021 Ranger. Brand new, It's already been in the shop three times, and the dealer is stalling me. First, the Eco Sport rental car they gave me has more power, pep and people can hear me on the phone.

It is over-shifting. Like as if I'm trying to take off in a stick shift in 2nd gear. Except this is all the time. It will shift too soon, and it's not down-shifting as it should be when I floor it. Even with the manager in the car, as I was decreasing my speed, the engine shifted up.
There is vibration in the wheel, which is loose. The truck is very sensitive going at high speeds. It is all over the place.
The radio will just cut out. It is not the station. I am unable to use the sync in the truck. No one can hear me on the phone, and even Siri cannot understand me at times. The other day my display went black and tried multiple things and took it 20 minutes to come back on, and I could not do anything except turn volume low.
I also have the front door sounding hollow issue.

Any ideas!!
Sponsored

JimInAllen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger STX SuperCrew 2WD
Occupation
Cybersecurity Consultant
Howdy,

My truck has some weird problems as well, but nothing physical. They ended up upgrading the software on multiple computers, and "recalibrating" my ABS/Steering Angle sensors.

Jim

Hickesy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021 STX SuperCab 4x4
Ok, here it goes; I traded my 2018 F-150 in for a 2021 Ranger. Brand new, It's already been in the shop three times, and the dealer is stalling me. First, the Eco Sport rental car they gave me has more power, pep and people can hear me on the phone.

It is over-shifting. Like as if I'm trying to take off in a stick shift in 2nd gear. Except this is all the time. It will shift too soon, and it's not down-shifting as it should be when I floor it. Even with the manager in the car, as I was decreasing my speed, the engine shifted up.
There is vibration in the wheel, which is loose. The truck is very sensitive going at high speeds. It is all over the place.
The radio will just cut out. It is not the station. I am unable to use the sync in the truck. No one can hear me on the phone, and even Siri cannot understand me at times. The other day my display went black and tried multiple things and took it 20 minutes to come back on, and I could not do anything except turn volume low.
I also have the front door sounding hollow issue.

Any ideas!!
I can't get the truck to sync my phone apps on the screen. Worked just fine at the dealership so can't understand why. Wonder if it's because I need to update my IOS? Sorry you're having problems, that sucks.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
The transmission having somewhat erratic shifting is well documented. The first 250-500 miles the system is in learning mode and will likely have harsh shift points or may change gears too soon or hold a gear for longer than expected. This almost always sorts itself out and settle down after hitting the 500 mile mark.

Vibration and floating could be caused by poorly balanced and/or over inflated tires. A very large number of members have reported the tires being inflated to 40-45 psi from the factory. Also the stock shocks on the ranger are utter crap. The rebound valving is extremely soft and gives one the feeling like they are in a boat. The FX shocks are even worse than the non FX models. Upgrading the shocks to Bilstiens or Eibach's makes an instant and significant improvement in handling of the truck. If you are getting a vibration off the line at low speed, this is also well documented and Ford's TSB on it addresses it for some, but others it doesn't. There are others like myself where adding shims to the center bearing changing the angle have resolved the vibration issue as well.

There have been some reports of issues with the Sync system cutting out, may need to update it to the latest version and perform a master reset.

There is no sound deadning material in the doors of the Ranger. In a few hours you can pull the door panels off install any quality deadning material to the door skins. I just did this over the weekend and the difference is incredible. The doors have a solid thunk when closing, almost no wind noise now, and much less less interior road noise.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Brendap40

First Name
Brenda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2021, FX2
Occupation
Teacher
The transmission having somewhat erratic shifting is well documented. The first 250-500 miles the system is in learning mode and will likely have harsh shift points or may change gears too soon or hold a gear for longer than expected. This almost always sorts itself out and settle down after hitting the 500 mile mark.

Vibration and floating could be caused by poorly balanced and/or over inflated tires. A very large number of members have reported the tires being inflated to 40-45 psi from the factory. Also the stock shocks on the ranger are utter crap. The rebound valving is extremely soft and gives one the feeling like they are in a boat. The FX shocks are even worse than the non FX models. Upgrading the shocks to Bilstiens or Eibach's makes an instant and significant improvement in handling of the truck. If you are getting a vibration off the line at low speed, this is also well documented and Ford's TSB on it addresses it for some, but others it doesn't. There are others like myself where adding shims to the center bearing changing the angle have resolved the vibration issue as well.

There have been some reports of issues with the Sync system cutting out, may need to update it to the latest version and perform a master reset.

There is no sound deadning material in the doors of the Ranger. In a few hours you can pull the door panels off install any quality deadning material to the door skins. I just did this over the weekend and the difference is incredible. The doors have a solid thunk when closing, almost no wind noise now, and much less less interior road noise.
Thank you. Yes my tires did have 44PSI which makes it more controllable as it was erotic before. I was told about the erratic shifting however mine has about 1,500 on it now. Yes the ranger they wanted me to compare it too had 35 miles on it and didn't do any of this. I caught there attention when I told them the eco sport was driving better.

Reactions: Doc

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Have them check the transmission fluid level. Many of the Mustang, F150, and Ranger owners (myself included) with the exact same transmission have found that it was underfilled from the factory, with some being as much as 2 qts low. Because Ford did not include a traditional dipstick on this transmission, you have to crawl up under it when it's at the correct temp. and pull the dipstick plug to check it. Mine was 1.5 qts low and after I had the dealer check it and top it off many of the similar issues like erratic and harsh shifting went away after about 150 miles.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Out of curiosity, what insulation did you use? Do you have any photos of the process?

bearrug

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4, 2023 ford Bronco Sport
Well if there is a learning mode for the transmission then mine is retarded, because after 17000 miles its still acting up and going back to the dealer this week.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
The truck WILL skip gears sometimes. I've seen it 1 to 2, then to 4. The F150 does it too.
seems as the 10-speeds do this if that gear really isn't needed..
Probably just need to give it time to learn its shift strategy.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Out of curiosity, what insulation did you use? Do you have any photos of the process?
I used MAT 66 ProBlack 80 mil. I put on about 4.5-5 sheets per door, with 4 on the inside skin and the rest spread across in various pieces on the shell under the foam moisture barrier. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures but I went off the video below for pulling the door skins off.

Each door took about 30 min start/finish. Just be sure to take your time when rolling the mat on, as you can easily cut the crap out of the back of your hands on the sharp edges of the window regulator and door skin.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Even with the manager in the car, as I was decreasing my speed, the engine shifted up.
Any ideas!!
That's normal. It's called "Engine Braking".

Edit: @D Fresh showed me the error of my comment, see next post.

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
You, or your transmission, don't upshift to engine brake. You downshift.
Thanks. You are, of course, correct.

Damn... I've been on a roll here lately. My attention to detail is lacking.
Sponsored