First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
My only complaint with my ranger is the transmission too. Iā€™m at 1,200 miles and shifts like crap also. Even on the highway, if in slowing down slightly say from 80 to 65 I can feel it clunk into a lower gear. Around town at slow speeds it shifts like crap. Hoping it starts getting better. Aside from that, love the truck.

Opusnbill7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
My only complaint with my ranger is the transmission too. Iā€™m at 1,200 miles and shifts like crap also. Even on the highway, if in slowing down slightly say from 80 to 65 I can feel it clunk into a lower gear. Around town at slow speeds it shifts like crap. Hoping it starts getting better. Aside from that, love the truck.
You know, I had that same problem. Finally at about 2K miles it's started to get better. Still clunks a bit (I mean it is a truck I'm not expecting butter-smooth shifts all the time), but the stuttering and jerking seems to have gone away.

Not sure why it did it in the first place, but maybe it did really need to "learn" how to shift?

Reactions: Doc

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You know, I had that same problem. Finally at about 2K miles it's started to get better. Still clunks a bit (I mean it is a truck I'm not expecting butter-smooth shifts all the time), but the stuttering and jerking seems to have gone away.

Not sure why it did it in the first place, but maybe it did really need to "learn" how to shift?
Hi Bill,

In a word. Yes...it has to learn the tolerance stack of the trans...not your driving style...that is a myth. Even the owner's manual states the shifting may be sloppy or harsh for a while as the adaptive software fine tunes the transmission.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Opusnbill7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Hi Bill,

In a word. Yes...it has to learn the tolerance stack of the trans...not your driving style...that is a myth. Even the owner's manual states the shifting may be sloppy or harsh for a while as the adaptive software fine tunes the transmission.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for the educated input. :) I had read that and was hoping it would happen. So far so good.

Now if you want to see a "bad" transmission, check out the GM 8 speed they use in the Colorado. They may finally have it sorted out with new fluid, but it has been a real dog for years, and never "learned" how to improve.

Having had one previously, this transmission is light years ahead of the intelligence in shifting and shift quality. Is it perfect? No, but it could be a hell of a lot worse.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Hi Bill,

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I learned something today.

JimInAllen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger STX SuperCrew 2WD
Occupation
Cybersecurity Consultant
Howdy,

My truck has some weird problems as well, but nothing physical. They ended up upgrading the software on multiple computers, and "recalibrating" my ABS/Steering Angle sensors.

Jim
Well, mine is back in service @ 788 miles. Same problem again. ?

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ruby) 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
retired
Thanks for the educated input. :) I had read that and was hoping it would happen. So far so good.

Now if you want to see a "bad" transmission, check out the GM 8 speed they use in the Colorado. They may finally have it sorted out with new fluid, but it has been a real dog for years, and never "learned" how to improve.

Having had one previously, this transmission is light years ahead of the intelligence in shifting and shift quality. Is it perfect? No, but it could be a hell of a lot worse.
I had an 2018 Tacoma. I hated that transmission. It was like having a carburetor with hesitation. Had to turn on sport mode all the time.
It's all about mpg.

rphillips

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 4X4 & Dodge Ram 4X4
Occupation
Retired {Motorcycles, fishing, a little off-roading}
Dang, this thread would turn anyone against buying a new Ranger. I thought modern technology should make things better, but maybe not. I haven't checked to see, but is this ain't the CVT that Ford has been having problems with or does Ford now have 2 problem trannys???

arhodenizer

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Ok, here it goes; I traded my 2018 F-150 in for a 2021 Ranger. Brand new, It's already been in the shop three times, and the dealer is stalling me. First, the Eco Sport rental car they gave me has more power, pep and people can hear me on the phone.

It is over-shifting. Like as if I'm trying to take off in a stick shift in 2nd gear. Except this is all the time. It will shift too soon, and it's not down-shifting as it should be when I floor it. Even with the manager in the car, as I was decreasing my speed, the engine shifted up.
There is vibration in the wheel, which is loose. The truck is very sensitive going at high speeds. It is all over the place.
The radio will just cut out. It is not the station. I am unable to use the sync in the truck. No one can hear me on the phone, and even Siri cannot understand me at times. The other day my display went black and tried multiple things and took it 20 minutes to come back on, and I could not do anything except turn volume low.
I also have the front door sounding hollow issue.

Any ideas!!
I had a 2019 Ranger Lariat that had the same audio problem. It kept cutting off. It was in the dealer shop 13 times in the 14 months I had the truck. They had no one who knew what to do. Their technicians were not tech savvy and lacked the training to fix it. Ford was of no help... know why...this audio problem has been an issue for the Sync system dating back to 2014. Ford does not want to admit they have an audio problem with no fix. Can you imagine what that would cost them. I went through the lemon law drill with no good outcome, so out of an over a year long period of frustration and poor customer service by the dealer and Ford, I traded the Ranger. I found the 2021 car I wanted and traded. This is not a good time to be buying a car, but I did it anyway. I will never go back to Ford.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Never ceases to amaze me how sensitive to transmissions folks are these days. A little ā€œclunkā€ you may feel when shifting, or it not shifting exactly when you want it to, does not constitute a problem transmission.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Dang, this thread would turn anyone against buying a new Ranger. I thought modern technology should make things better, but maybe not. I haven't checked to see, but is this ain't the CVT that Ford has been having problems with or does Ford now have 2 problem trannys???
It's not a CVT, it's a 10R80. A joint venture between Ford and GM

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
After installing the Ford Performance tune I donā€™t even think about the transmission. It works much better with the tune.

markasspam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL SC
2021 XL SC 4WD
Trans shifts and engine revs seem counterintuitive, and I might add jerky. That is, unloaded, accelerating from a stop on a clear dry surface, until it shifts out of 1st gear and into the next gear, the vehicle does whatever it deems necessary for whatever the road condition, and it varies and is inconsistent, in my opinion, and I don't drive in any excessive way.
Only 1400 miles and nothing has changed, in fact it's worse.
Having come from a V6 with a direct gas pedal to this drive by wire, takes some getting used to, and the fact that the engine and trans are controlled by computer, is a little scary at times, like in emergency situations. Maybe it's just me and I'm just old school, but frankly I don't like the fact that there is very little control other than what the computer decides. And this is not meant as any kind of disrespect to others, but I'm getting rid of this vehicle because of the lack of feel, control and handling.
Personally, vehicles that want to decide driver response are not for me, and I'm sorry that I ever bought this vehicle, among other interior, mechanical issues and default programs that are annoying and obtrusive, like the 'start/stop' and 'brake assist' features, to name a few.
The ability to disable some programs is limited and basically useless. I'm not sure who this vehicle was designed for, but for practical purposes it seems overlooked.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Hickesy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021 STX SuperCab 4x4
Ok, here it goes; I traded my 2018 F-150 in for a 2021 Ranger. Brand new, It's already been in the shop three times, and the dealer is stalling me. First, the Eco Sport rental car they gave me has more power, pep and people can hear me on the phone.

It is over-shifting. Like as if I'm trying to take off in a stick shift in 2nd gear. Except this is all the time. It will shift too soon, and it's not down-shifting as it should be when I floor it. Even with the manager in the car, as I was decreasing my speed, the engine shifted up.
There is vibration in the wheel, which is loose. The truck is very sensitive going at high speeds. It is all over the place.
The radio will just cut out. It is not the station. I am unable to use the sync in the truck. No one can hear me on the phone, and even Siri cannot understand me at times. The other day my display went black and tried multiple things and took it 20 minutes to come back on, and I could not do anything except turn volume low.
I also have the front door sounding hollow issue.

Any ideas!!
My Sync has never worked properly. I can't see my mobile apps on the screen. But I can't be bothered to take it back to the dealer just yet. Other than that it seems fine, but I'm glad I don't have Lane Assist etc. Just the basic tech package. I hope you can clear these issues up!
Sponsored