First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
So a while back I told you guys I would report back here after doing an oil analysis to see if I had fuel in my oil.

Well seems that I do.

Little background on my truck:

Has 11,000 miles, most of my driving (about 90%) is highway. I don't baby this thing at all, I haul ass on it frequently. I mainly use 89 octane. Oil was changed at 500, then 5000, then 10,000. At the 10,000 mark is when I sent this sample in. Oil used has been Castrol Edge full synthetic. After this last oil change I switched to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum because I found it cheaper, so at my next oil change (15K) I will send another sample for comparison.

When I changed my oil, I did get a pretty strong wiff of gas from the oil. When I do the oil changes on my wife's car which has a GDI engine, I barely smell gas in the oil, if at all and that car has 50K miles on it.

Anyways, here's the report. Let me know what you guys think. Not too worried about it, thats what warranties are for, but thought id share it with you all.

View attachment document.pdf

Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
You say you get on it but did you ever set the rings? I did it to mine at about 4.5K. My Blackstone report says I have 1% gas in oil. Some of my other metal levels are higher than yours but fall with each oil change. I do not have a catch can presently but one is in the works.

OP
OP
VegasRanger

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
You say you get on it but did you ever set the rings? I did it to mine at about 4.5K. My Blackstone report says I have 1% gas in oil. Some of my other metal levels are higher than yours but fall with each oil change. I do not have a catch can presently but one is in the works.
No way of knowing if the rings were set. It’s never been babied, I know that much.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
No way of knowing if the rings were set. It’s never been babied, I know that much.
That’s something you would do yourself. It’s running wide open throttle to redline about 4 to 5 times. This article gets into it in a little more detail. You’re still early enough on the newness to possibly benefit from this approach to help your blow by. https://www.enginelabs.com/news/dispelling-engine-break-in-myths-with-high-performance-academy/

OP
OP
VegasRanger

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
The fuel % doesn't look bad. I think the under 2% standard has gone away with GDI engines. While most may still achieve it under 4% is more common. Different places have different standards.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
One more thing I forgot to add. Many of us do have oil levels that rise above the fill point after we do a change. Some, not all can see it rise as high as the top hole on the dipstick. Although this happens they won’t say it is common, and does no damage. I have yet to hear of anyone bricking an engine because of it.

OP
OP
VegasRanger

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Just wanted to share this with you guys and shed some positive light on the subject. As you can see from my two reports, the fuel in oil percentage dropped significantly. Now i'm not a mechanic so I don't know exactly why it dropped, but I will say that since the last report I have made it a point to open it up on the highway a lot more often. I also switched from Pennzoil Ultra Platinum to Castrol Edge FS. I don't know if that might have been something that helped, or maybe just the combo of me running the truck harder occasionally and the fact that it's getting really hot over here.

View attachment OilReports.pdf

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
Maybe stick to Castrol and quick switching brands,i run Mobil 1 advanced full synthetic and will never switch brands due to being on sale