Swingpure

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
No , first you need to find a place to fish, and wait for him to almost freeze. Then pull him out, after he signs the liability waivers and so forth. ?

However, its sad that RP has a point, just trying to help people these days can get you in alot of trouble.
I live in a rural area and everyone helps everyone, it is different from the City. It is like the old days.

I was concerned about damaged to their undercarriage and warned them several times and I let him rig the strap underneath.

it was best hooking up to the front and watching them, just because of the situation and I am glad I did. In other situations I would prefer using the rear.

The only shackle we used was a soft shackle.

If this was a stranger, I likely would not have done it, unless it was an emergency, or if they had something designed to hook to.
Sponsored

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
I did not set the hook, gave it slack and it got off and I put the tip ups away and headed for the rescue.
Your buddy wasn't going anywhere. What's the hurry?

OP
OP
Swingpure

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your buddy wasn't going anywhere. What's the hurry?
I made the mistake of saying I would be there in 10 minutes, if I had just said I will be there as soon as possible, then it was not like I made a commitment.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
I made the mistake of saying I would be there in 10 minutes, if I had just said I will be there as soon as possible, then it was not like I made a commitment.
If it were me stuck in the ditch waiting for you, I would not be mad if you pulled that fish in. I would be disappointed that you let it go.

OP
OP
Swingpure

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it were me stuck in the ditch waiting for you, I would not be mad if you pulled that fish in. I would be disappointed that you let it go.
If the shoe was on the other foot, I would have wanted the other person to catch the fish as well, but he had his wife with him and they had a 3 hour drive ahead of them and dusk was approaching.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Dammm. I wouldn’t want to be on any trail with the “don’t help people in need due to possible lawsuit”. If your that worried just video tape person saying he holds you not at fault for any incurred damage rescuing him. And I would let him strap the driveshaft while I “supervised”.

Gears are cut in a shape/direction where the strength is for forward motion. It is a very good idea to avoid when possible reverse direction tow strap recovery. It is also better for damage to bed vs damage to grill. Better for rear window to brake vs windshield if damage happens.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
…your friends might not be dicks. but there's no telling what this stranger is like....

It was not a stranger. It was his friend that knew the OP cell number and called him. A friend needed help

…... My cell phone rings and it is a friend from the lake, whose wheel caught the fake shoulder from the snow plus and his entire car went into the ditch…

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing overly exciting, but when I bought my Ranger in the fall of 2020 and we were approaching winter, I wanted to have some “tools” to be able to help people that got stuck In the ditch. My step son told me don’t hurt your truck and have them call CAA. I ended up buying a recovery rope, a tow rope, a soft shackle and a rear trailer hook shackle.

Today I was ice fishing for several hours with no luck, but the dusk bewitching hour was approaching and there was close to a full moon rising, so I felt anytime now the tip up flag would pop. My cell phone rings and it is a friend from the lake, whose wheel caught the fake shoulder from the snow plus and his entire car went into the ditch. He had called CAA, but they did not know when they would arrive. He asked me for help. I told him I had to pull my tip ups, but would be therein 10 minutes.

Literally three steps from the tip up, the flag pops and a fish is on. I did not set the hook, gave it slack and it got off and I put the tip ups away and headed for the rescue.

His vehicle did not have a trailer hitch and did not have the place on the front bumper to screw in a hook. We found a place on the rear axle to wrap the recovery strap around, but I warned him several times, it sometimes could do more damage than good.

Although it took a bit for the car to come out of the ditch, the Ranger had no trouble moving him along And eventually out with no issues. I hooked the recovery strap to the soft shackle to the front tow hooks.

I finally got to use them. Colour me happy!

Sorry no pictures.
I wonder how big that fish was?

umop3pisdn

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04/16 PX2 Ranger XLS
Occupation
Bodyshop
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing overly exciting, but when I bought my Ranger in the fall of 2020 and we were approaching winter, I wanted to have some “tools” to be able to help people that got stuck In the ditch. My step son told me don’t hurt your truck and have them call CAA. I ended up buying a recovery rope, a tow rope, a soft shackle and a rear trailer hook shackle.

Today I was ice fishing for several hours with no luck, but the dusk bewitching hour was approaching and there was close to a full moon rising, so I felt anytime now the tip up flag would pop. My cell phone rings and it is a friend from the lake, whose wheel caught the fake shoulder from the snow plus and his entire car went into the ditch. He had called CAA, but they did not know when they would arrive. He asked me for help. I told him I had to pull my tip ups, but would be therein 10 minutes.

Literally three steps from the tip up, the flag pops and a fish is on. I did not set the hook, gave it slack and it got off and I put the tip ups away and headed for the rescue.

His vehicle did not have a trailer hitch and did not have the place on the front bumper to screw in a hook. We found a place on the rear axle to wrap the recovery strap around, but I warned him several times, it sometimes could do more damage than good.

Although it took a bit for the car to come out of the ditch, the Ranger had no trouble moving him along And eventually out with no issues. I hooked the recovery strap to the soft shackle to the front tow hooks.

I finally got to use them. Colour me happy!

Sorry no pictures.
Good work helping a fellow-wheeler ?

Not that it will happen often but you can use the tie-down ring on the left front of Rangers, have used for recovery before (they have them on your models?). I wouldn't yank the crap out of it but yeah, they work.

If of interest, here in Australia, Drivetech4x4 do a pair of yellow bolt-on front points and from memory are quite reasonably priced. I was considering them until I changed winchbars.

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
No , first you need to find a place to fish, and wait for him to almost freeze. Then pull him out, after he signs the liability waivers and so forth. ?

However, its sad that RP has a point, just trying to help people these days can get you in alot of trouble.
The point is finanical

in 1999 I had a 1991 Olds cutlas seirra. I got stuck in a bank and a neighbor with a big truck drove by and helped yank me out. nothing to attach to so he wrapped around the axel.

The car never drove straight again. That guy did me 1 favor getting me out, and in the process trashed the front axle.

I ended up trading it in less than a month later.

if I was a jerk I could have sued the guy for being nice. Not every thing you try to be helpful with is successful

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
he wasn't dead yet, or even close....i woulda kept fishing while the fishing was good.

and from experience....and liability concerns, i will never tow anyone out of the ditch.
yes, I'll stop see if you're alright, offer what assistance i can, phone or whatever, but nope....there's no panic strong enough for me to risk damage to my vehicle or theirs. Tow companies who carry that liability will be along shortly to do the dirty work.

Its good to have no friends and never be put in this situation TBH
Solid advice and in a lot of cases, that's exactly what I do. Especially where jump starting is concerned. I fried the CPU on a Titan causing a $1200 repair to jump start a Cherokee someone had just bought at auction for $800. If you are with in cell phone range, I'll stop and offer assessment, water, conversation but you are going to find your own rescue.

However...
Much of AZ is off the map for Triple A and what ever the Ford Road Side Assistance is. What's more, there is a lot of AZ that doesn't get Cell Service and if you do manage to get connectivity, you are only going to get a short text out; not having a conversation and looking up rescue numbers on the phone. That's when it becomes a rescue that I'll participate in.

A few rules. I hook the rope to my truck and the other driver looks and agrees to it. The other driver hooks the rope to their car and I look and agree to it. The other driver acknowledges that I'm a lay person and untrained. I'll do my best but make no guarantee or warranty against further damage. We discuss the strategy for getting the vehicle unstuck and then execute to that as best as possible. Important that they ask for the help and agree to the strategy all along the way.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
The point is finanical

in 1999 I had a 1991 Olds cutlas seirra. I got stuck in a bank and a neighbor with a big truck drove by and helped yank me out. nothing to attach to so he wrapped around the axel.

The car never drove straight again. That guy did me 1 favor getting me out, and in the process trashed the front axle.

I ended up trading it in less than a month later.

if I was a jerk I could have sued the guy for being nice. Not every thing you try to be helpful with is successful
There is no axle in a 91 Cutlass, so he only thought that's what he was doing.

FerdRanger

First Name
Ferdinand the Great
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
not for long
no one has mentioned that recovering a vehicle on the side of the road is inherently dangerous and potentially deadly.

there's a bridge around here named in memory of a deputy sheriff that was trying to help a motorist stuck stuck in the snow on the side of said bridge.

another motorist went off the snowy road and pinned him between his patrol car and the disabled motorist.

"pinned him" wasn't exactly the outcome.

That's why there are professionals... That's why there are laws to move over....

'yall be careful
Sponsored