Mpg on my new tremor

CarbonTremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor, 04 Jaguar XJR, 21 Bronco Sport
Most people see an increase in MPG, at least on highways, even with performance tunes.

Yea, the engine / transmission programming is more than likely retarded down due to EPA requirements.

5 Star is somewhat local to me, so I drove up there. Reset MPG prior to and leaving their facility.

Went from 16.2 MPG to 18.2 MPG using 70MPH on cruise control. 93 performance tune. I strictly used 93 before the tune as well. Keep in mind my poor MPG overall has more to do with my aerodynamics than the engine at this point.
I use 93 as well, overall how do you like the 5 star tune? Seems like mixed reviews, I've been seeing some complaints of very harsh shifting.
Sponsored

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I use 93 as well, overall how do you like the 5 star tune? Seems like mixed reviews, I've been seeing some complaints of very harsh shifting.
I have no complaints. The shifts are more stern at times, but I chalk that up to a performance orientated tune. Kind of like when you drive a manual transmission. When you want to race you shift as fast as possible and that always results in a harsher transition than just day to day take your time to perfectly match revs type of shift.

I often wonder if people complaining have ever driven a manual...

Jefain

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Military
I run 91 octane and no ethanol with Ford tune and k&n filter kit that came with tune.
With the FP tune, what does the sphincter meter tell you? Is the difference that noticeable? Also, I though you had to run 93 with that tune… can you run regular 87 with it or is 91 the lowest you can go? Need the deets brother, because more power + cheap (relative) fuel = go time!

OP
OP
Bt_ostate

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
With the FP tune, what does the sphincter meter tell you? Is the difference that noticeable? Also, I though you had to run 93 with that tune… can you run regular 87 with it or is 91 the lowest you can go? Need the deets brother, because more power + cheap (relative) fuel = go time!
Adds a bit of oomph, but really fixes the shift pattern. It requires 91 octane.

Definitely worth it to me as mine shifts much smoother and definitely has more acceleration/torque, and increased mpgs. This tune works with towing and is covered by Ford factory warranty, so it was the way to go for me.

Jefain

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military

Definitely worth it to me as mine shifts much smoother and definitely has more acceleration/torque, and increased mpgs. This tune works with towing and is covered by Ford factory warranty, so it was the way to go for me.
I can get it for about $650 on stage3 vs $900 through Ford. Did they have to “install it” to maintain the warranty or can I buy it through S3 and still maintain the warranty?

Tbone4253

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Engineer

This may sound like a silly question, but do you drive it in D or S?

Tbone4253

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I can get it for about $650 on stage3 vs $900 through Ford. Did they have to “install it” to maintain the warranty or can I buy it through S3 and still maintain the warranty?
I think you can buy it from wherever, just needs to be installed by dealer or certified mechanic.

Jefain

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
I think you can buy it from wherever, just needs to be installed by dealer or certified mechanic.
I can’t imagine it is that complicated. Are they just forcing hourly labor by making you have a mechanic do it?

UncleWillie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger XLT Tremor
I run regular fuel and consistently get 22-23.5 mpg on my work trips (150-200 miles). But this is mostly county roads with 55-65 mph speed limits. I could take the interstate and save five minutes, but I prefer the country route and sights vs. the boring interstate and construction. I've noticed when I get to 70-73 mph interstate speeds on trips, the fuel economy drops closer to 20-21. Around town I'm closer to 17-19 mpg, depending on route, traffic, lights, etc.

MississippiCelery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Prius - Purchasing a 2022 Ranger
Stock 2022 tremor with 5k miles. Daily 75 mile round trip commute, mostly interstate 70-78mph. Stuck on 18.8mpg with no hope of getting better.

Stevescootz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Tremor with 33's current combined is about 16.6 MPG on the computer. Tons of uphill city driving though. City driving is deadly with bigger tires, but still fairly good for what it is.. comes down significantly once i hit the highway!

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
21 Tremor with a 1" level and the FP tune and now an Unleashed 87 Performance tune. 90 to 95% of my driving is suburban areas. In 22k miles I have never had a full tank average below 20 mpg. I get 22.5 to 23.5mpg in the summer and 20.5 to 21.5 mpg in the winter. I have only taken a couple of hiway trips that used a tank of gas and I have gotten 23.5 to 25 mpg.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t imagine it is that complicated. Are they just forcing hourly labor by making you have a mechanic do it?
Yes, yes they are.

Not wanting to stir up a shit pot about the supposed warranty coverage, another consideration is how close to 3 years / 36k miles are you. Other arguments aside, if you have an extended warranty the FPP is treated the same as any other tuner on the market.

My vote is get a tune with any of the established brands for a lot cheaper and also get close to double the power output. The FPP tune is one of the most costly on the market, as well as one of the most weak power wise.

Unleashed, Livernoise, 5Star - all reputable brands with established customer bases and very few anecdotal reports of engines exploding in a nuclear reaction.
Sponsored