Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hey everybody,

We're really excited to announce that we're developing a performance air intake for the 2019+ 2.3L EcoBoost Ranger! Check out the first installment of our engineering blog below. This time, we're taking a look at the stock intake and revealing some of its more interesting features.

Thanks!
-Steve

From the crisp, cool air atop Pikes Peak to the smell of freshly cut grass at Fenway Park. From the hard asphalt streets of New York City to the soft sand of the Mojave. No matter where you are or where youā€™re going, the 2019+ Ford Ranger was built to take in the world.

While we take in the world with our sense of touch, sight, taste, and smell, your 2019+ Ranger takes in the world through its air intake. Air flows into the intake, gets compressed by the turbocharger, and is then forced into the engine. The better the intake flows, the more air can get into the turbocharger and the more air goes into the engine. More air going into the engine means more fuel can be injected, and more fuel equals more power.

MG_9829.jpg

Improving flow through the intake is one of the best ways to improve performance. While the stock intake on the 2.3L EcoBoost under the hood of the 2019+ Ranger is well designed, we think we can make it better. But, before we start building an improved intake, we need to look at the stock intake to know what can be improved.

To analyze the stock intake, we started by 3D scanning the intake while it was still installed on the truck. This scan told us how much clearance the stock intake had between all the other components in the engine bay. A second scan of the area with the intake removed gave us our envelopeā€”the space that our replacement intake could occupy.

MG_0947.jpg

With the stock intake out of the vehicle, we could also see all the elements that may need to be improved. When the intake is installed in the Rangerā€™s engine bay, it looks unassuming and bland. A box with a tube on it, basically. But when you remove it, you can see just how much lives under the surface.

...Continue Reading>>>
Sponsored

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Damn good question. A lot of different things
Vehicle Showcase
Looking forward to this as it develops!

Chrisr24

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Man i have a roush intake on the way but depending on how this ends up turning out i may ditch that later and get one that has all the parts upgraded on the intake system. Following this one closely.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Very nice write up and break down. They really put alot of effort in the intakes it seems.

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Thanks for the well written article; I'm interested to see what y'all come up with.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
That filter media on the inside of the intake tubing seems to me that it may make a turbo side catch can unnecessary. I think I may pull mine apart later this year to see what it looks after 15k or so miles.

Secondly if that is the case, and an aftermarket intake doesnā€™t replicate this filter media then it would once again make sense to have a catch can on the turbo side. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
That filter media on the inside of the intake tubing seems to me that it may make a turbo side catch can unnecessary. I think I may pull mine apart later this year to see what it looks after 15k or so miles.

Secondly if that is the case, and an aftermarket intake doesnā€™t replicate this filter media then it would once again make sense to have a catch can on the turbo side. Looking forward to seeing the final product.
Not even close. I've had the throttle body off before and after the catch can. The inside of the intake was coated in oil. After the can was dry. That stuff is to absorb any fuel vapors that escape from the heads after shut off.

OWSportninja

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport SuperCrew 2wd
I wish y'all were putting in more effort to make an intercooler and piping instead of an intake that have been proven to not make much of a difference especially for the price. I'll still be following this though! Love you guys stuff.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
Not even close. I've had the throttle body off before and after the catch can. The inside of the intake was coated in oil. After the can was dry. That stuff is to absorb any fuel vapors that escape from the heads after shut off.
Understood. I was thinking about while under boost. Thats when itā€™s pulling vacuum off the valve cover and that ccv air is going into the turbo and intercooler first before getting to the TB. Have you seen oil residue in the turbo/intercooler?

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Understood. I was thinking about while under boost. Thats when itā€™s pulling vacuum off the valve cover and that ccv air is going into the turbo and intercooler first before getting to the TB. Have you seen oil residue in the turbo/intercooler?
Virtually none. when I had the breather side tied into the catch can only condensation increase. Not much oil comes through that side for me.

Spiritfish

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Supercab, Lightning Blue
Hey everybody,

We're really excited to announce that we're developing a performance air intake for the 2019+ 2.3L EcoBoost Ranger! Check out the first installment of our engineering blog below. This time, we're taking a look at the stock intake and revealing some of its more interesting features.

Thanks!
-Steve

From the crisp, cool air atop Pikes Peak to the smell of freshly cut grass at Fenway Park. From the hard asphalt streets of New York City to the soft sand of the Mojave. No matter where you are or where youā€™re going, the 2019+ Ford Ranger was built to take in the world.

While we take in the world with our sense of touch, sight, taste, and smell, your 2019+ Ranger takes in the world through its air intake. Air flows into the intake, gets compressed by the turbocharger, and is then forced into the engine. The better the intake flows, the more air can get into the turbocharger and the more air goes into the engine. More air going into the engine means more fuel can be injected, and more fuel equals more power.

MG_9829.jpg

Improving flow through the intake is one of the best ways to improve performance. While the stock intake on the 2.3L EcoBoost under the hood of the 2019+ Ranger is well designed, we think we can make it better. But, before we start building an improved intake, we need to look at the stock intake to know what can be improved.

To analyze the stock intake, we started by 3D scanning the intake while it was still installed on the truck. This scan told us how much clearance the stock intake had between all the other components in the engine bay. A second scan of the area with the intake removed gave us our envelopeā€”the space that our replacement intake could occupy.

MG_0947.jpg

With the stock intake out of the vehicle, we could also see all the elements that may need to be improved. When the intake is installed in the Rangerā€™s engine bay, it looks unassuming and bland. A box with a tube on it, basically. But when you remove it, you can see just how much lives under the surface.

...Continue Reading>>>
Looking forward to following this article...keep it coming!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.