Might buy a Ranger raptor year 2020 but do I dare?

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Raptor week 40, Wildtrak `22 2.0 diesel - sold
that's just mean telling him go with Hilux... might as well just said sit on it:thumbsup:
It wasn’t meant mean. OP seems to doubt a lot about Fords reliability, that’s where last lines came from.
A decision should be made by person himself.

I apologize if my saying was mean.
Sponsored

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
It wasn’t meant mean. OP seems to doubt a lot about Fords reliability, that’s where last lines came from.
A decision should be made by person himself.

I apologize if my saying was mean.
No apology needed. I know you weren't trying to be mean BUT it is an insult to tell somebody to drive a toyota.... at least to me anyway. I wouldn't wish that on anybody no matter how bad their Nissan is with the low bed that falls off at 90,000 miles(144.000km). I am by no means a ford guy but I do love my ranger. it has given me less problems than "Old Faithful" the hearse that has never let me down. She fires up every time I turn the key and that says alot for a GM

OP
OP

Mike14

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hilux
@Mike14 They have digested my English so far pretty well , so don’t worry. ?
How many km on truck?
You have had a truck before or it’s your first?
I checked Raptor myself also, but went with Wildtrak. EU/UK and US Rangers are more different than first seems.
I purchased mine as factory order with some adds and I take care that everything meets warranty conditions from my side, that’s it.
It would be nice if this Raptor had one more oil change before 20 000 km service.
About shifting. Yes, people complain, but in real life rarely those boxes die. There are weak spots and will be on next generation trucks as well. Same with Hilux and other brand trucks. That doesn’t mean they break down. I know cars with much worse shifting.
I know there were a bunch of injectors replaced on Rangers and Transits, but it’s old story from 2019. I made sure they accidentally didn’t add to my truck some of them ?
You can also go with Hilux, they are much more popular in here. Your choice. ??‍♀
Hi Kristina!

I've never owned a pickup but hope to own one soon, which brand remains to be seen. This Ranger Raptor I'm looking at now has gone 61000km and is in very good condition and service has been done as it should be. The Hilux is much more popular here in sweden and has a better reputation, but that may just be because there are a lot of them. I might test a 2020 Ranger raptor but I have found a Ranger Wildtrak 2017/2018 also with 90000km. Do all Ranger Wildtrak have this AdBlue?

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Hey!

I'm looking at a 2020 Ford ranger raptor. Now maybe it's stupid to ask here in a Ford forum with a lot of Ford lovers ;) But I've heard and read that many people have problems with their Ford Rangers and 8 out of 10 people have said that I should drive a Hilux instead. now there is a big difference in comfort etc. This Ford I'm looking at has done 6000 miles (38000 miles) and had the distributor replaced under warranty.
What should you watch out for and look at before maybe buying a Ranger Raptor?
Your country Hilux owners are probably the equivalent of our american Tacoma owners: Full of shit and worship a brand as oppose to having anything resembling an insightful well thought out logical opinion on the matter.

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Kristina!

I've never owned a pickup but hope to own one soon, which brand remains to be seen. This Ranger Raptor I'm looking at now has gone 61000km and is in very good condition and service has been done as it should be. The Hilux is much more popular here in sweden and has a better reputation, but that may just be because there are a lot of them. I might test a 2020 Ranger raptor but I have found a Ranger Wildtrak 2017/2018 also with 90000km. Do all Ranger Wildtrak have this AdBlue?
Ranger Wildtrak is my truck from last summer. I personally prefer vehicles with warranty, so if I would have the choice you have, I’d go with Raptor as it has warranty left. Also seems you like it and you have checked its background.
Wildtrak and Raptor came with same engines if I remember right but suspension is better on Raptor.
All diesel trucks not only Ford come with adBlue and that sucks. It’s EURO 6 regulation about emissions. Make sure you give your truck long enough distances and it can complete DPF regeneration and you’re fine. If driving only city it’s not healthy, it has to get highway too. The salesman won’t tell you that.
In very cold conditions some truck owners change diesel fuel filters not in every 40 000 km like by Ford recommendations but in every 20 000 km. Does this Raptor have Webasto or some other preheating system? Would be nice.
Service schedule is in every 20 thousand km. First service oil+3 filters, next oil+4 filters and brake fluid, and lately the Raptor must had the third, same like the first I guess.
If you have family, take them to test drive with you. Test 4x4 and everything else. Don’t forget to try back seat yourself. Leaf springs make ride a little different for back seat passengers, it’s still a truck not a limousine, but a very comfortable truck.
Have you googled 5G trucks in accidents? I’ve seen and I find my truck very safe in traffic.
I know it’s much easier to go with Hilux as everyone else but in the end you are the one who pays for the truck and drives it.
I was told by my relative that’s the stupidest idea to buy a Ranger, the bed cracks and falls off! He knows it really happened!
Just my experience and opinions.

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
What should you watch out for and look at before maybe buying a Ranger Raptor?
Some thoughts as a Raptor owner.
- Possible electric issues in below -25'C. Check if the truck has Webasto/Eberspracher. Mine occasionally has some weird computer stuff happening if I don't put the heater on in advance.
- Had an issue with AdBlue tank dropping off.
- Creature comfort is great
- Front bumper most likely bit miss-aligned. Cosmetic, probably something calibrated wrong at factory.
- Stock payload is poor (due to rear leaf springs being replaced with gas-shocks)
- Stock rims are bad for off-roading, check for wear on the rim protrusions.
- Mountain top bed cover is shit in the winter and will freeze solid (you can open in spring)
- Auto high-beams are quirky (especially when driving towards sunset)
- Rain sensing wipers are quirky (beats me why, you can disable)
- You can sink it much deeper than Hilux before you need a tow (or shovel)

It does have it's oddities, but still I'd pick it over a Hilux. If you don't need rear seats, I'd probably go with a 4x4 van + trailer for those loads you just cant haul with a van.

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No apology needed. I know you weren't trying to be mean BUT it is an insult to tell somebody to drive a toyota.... at least to me anyway. I wouldn't wish that on anybody no matter how bad their Nissan is with the low bed that falls off at 90,000 miles(144.000km). I am by no means a ford guy but I do love my ranger. it has given me less problems than "Old Faithful" the hearse that has never let me down. She fires up every time I turn the key and that says alot for a GM
No apology needed but it’s still an insult…
I apologized, what else is needed?

I didn’t suggest to go with Toyota, I just don’t push only Ford but let everyone decide themselves, even if it’s Nissan, SsangYong, Mitsubishi, Volkswagen…
I respect the decisions people make.
I didn’t listen anybody myself and went with Ford.

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger ˋ19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
@Mike14

No idea how it is in the States, but the manufacturing quality of a Ford is much poorer in the rest of the world than that of a Toyota, Kia or a VW/Skoda/Seat. No comparison to a saab or volvo.
Plastic parts/clips are a joke, eg. With my ranger, and the production is even more pathetic than with cars, all the glow plugs have already been replaced because the car rattles like a sack of murmurs when starting at temperatures below minus 5 degrees Celsius and only ignites on 2 or three cylinders. They are due again now... at 24k km!
Without complete underseal and cavity protection that I applied myself, the car would look pretty pathetic underneath.
The heated windscreen is now being replaced for the second time. There is still no customer-friendly solution for last summer's recall. The differential could break and should therefore be examined. For this purpose, the car is to be driven around 500 km through the country by an employee of the nearest car dealership on their own, because only a few Ford dealers will equip them with the necessary ultrasound device... but they have not yet received the device. So Ford requires me not to use the truck for truck purposes for more than half a year / move heavy loads / until the solution can be implemented...
I had kept my distance from the measly, forced ventilation 4-cylinder as it is in the raptor because, especially when power is required to pull loads, cubic capacity is elementary for durability. But the 3.2 5-cylinder has not been in the program since 2019 due to fleet consumption.
At the time I had no option other than the Ranger, Wildtrak because I wanted a black headliner as there were no other displacement pickups and, this is very important for people who work with trucks, super cabs to buy .
A Ranger definitely looks better than a Hilux or even a Mitsubishi or ... If you just want the thing for fun and don't need the truck bed, I would strongly advise you to get a proper off-road vehicle and not a lorry. A defender or something.
That being said, I don't really know much about the car market and can't comment on how poor the quality of service is in general these days. But the Ford has somewhat disappointed.

this english was raised to an understandable level with strong help from google and deepl :like:

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

I didn’t suggest to go with Toyota, I just don’t push only Ford but let everyone decide themselves, even if it’s Nissan, SsangYong, Mitsubishi, Volkswagen…
I wouldn't take it personally Dave was just joking. It's been a running joke on here about Toyota (especially the Tacoma) being trash. I just made one yesterday here. ?

A lot of us traded in our Tacoma for a Ranger because the drivetrain was terrible along with the seating position. There's no doubt they (Toyota) have a lot more sales than Ford and they seem to have less warranty claims along with a faithful cult following. It's sad the see Gerds @Gerder post that his Ranger has had several issues already, some for second time. Hopefully Ford gets these things under control because with all the new mid size refresh's coming out they need to up their game fast!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

D4D95BB3-FF94-491D-83ED-E06C47D72EB3.jpeg

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired

it's ok. we will survive. obviously Estonians aren't known for their humor

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger ˋ19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
I’m just blinded by Tacos. Tacos everywhere! I guess you forgive me my blindness?

5EB9A7C0-3C08-4622-BBED-02B582BD0A0B.jpeg

The humour of advertising AI is simply magnificent. Monty Python couldn‘t do better.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Here in the states, we get a lot of trash talk about Rangers, but it's usually from Toyota drivers trying to justify their purchase of a more expensive, less capable midsized truck.
Sponsored