Might buy a Ranger raptor year 2020 but do I dare?

Mike14

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hilux
Hey!

I'm looking at a 2020 Ford ranger raptor. Now maybe it's stupid to ask here in a Ford forum with a lot of Ford lovers ;) But I've heard and read that many people have problems with their Ford Rangers and 8 out of 10 people have said that I should drive a Hilux instead. now there is a big difference in comfort etc. This Ford I'm looking at has done 6000 miles (38000 miles) and had the distributor replaced under warranty.
What should you watch out for and look at before maybe buying a Ranger Raptor?
Sponsored

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Hi Mike, your English is fine.
Since this is primarily a North American site & the configuration
of the NA version to the Rest Of World(ROW) ranger is different,
most here won't be able to help. We only have the 2.3L turbo matched with an auto 10 speed. Maybe someone from Australia will speak up.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
considering it is the raptor, top of the line option, you cant go wrong. Just make sure it was not abused like any used vehicle.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe @Kristina , @onobeka , @KNI or @Gerder can help - they have a variety of EU Rangers among them. There’s a Wildtrak in the group and I think at least one Raptor.

OP
OP

Mike14

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hilux
considering it is the raptor, top of the line option, you cant go wrong. Just make sure it was not abused like any used vehicle.
Hey!
This ranger raptor is in very good condition and serviced according to miles/time as it should. But you read so much about the problems with Ranger pickups that I almost take a little distance even though I like the car and its looks and functions.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
8 out of 10 people settled. ?

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
Welcome to the forum, Mike. Your English is better then most of the Americans I deal with on a daily basis. I can’t wait to visit your beautiful country some day.

Help us out, what problems have you read about and where did you read them? With all the negative input you’re getting why are you still considering a Ranger Raptor?

The big things that I worry about with my Ranger are transmission issues and oil dilution, but those things don’t apply to a EU Raptor. I’d buy one in good shape for a decent price if we had them available here.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mike14

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hilux
Welcome to the forum, Mike. Your English is better then most of the Americans I deal with on a daily basis. I can’t wait to visit your beautiful country some day.

Help us out, what problems have you read about and where did you read them? With all the negative input you’re getting why are you still considering a Ranger Raptor?

The big things that I worry about with my Ranger are transmission issues and oil dilution, but those things don’t apply to a EU Raptor. I’d buy one in good shape for a decent price if we had them available here.
Hi WingShot!

I have spoken to people who have worked with fords in various workshops and googled around. The problems I read about are spreaders that break and the gearbox that can give uneven shifting or no shifting at all.

I'm considering a Ford because they have better comfort and maybe better as a family car than the Hilux. Then I like the look of the Ranger and Ranger raptor.

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
Hi WingShot!

I have spoken to people who have worked with fords in various workshops and googled around. The problems I read about are spreaders that break and the gearbox that can give uneven shifting or no shifting at all.

I'm considering a Ford because they have better comfort and maybe better as a family car than the Hilux. Then I like the look of the Ranger and Ranger raptor.
The Ranger definitely wins on comfort and aesthetics compared to our version of the Hilux. And the Ranger out performs and is more capable.

I don’t believe our trucks have the same transmission, but those shifting problems are similar to some Rangers around here. Mine has been great so far.

And I don’t know what a “spreader” is? As an earlier post mentioned, maybe we can get some ROW advice from other members.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
gearbox that can give uneven shifting or no shifting at all.
give it a test drive and see how it shifts. That was easy

what is a spreader? i know spanner but spreader is the thing used to apply butter to bread and I'm sure that's not what you are referring to. sorry for my 'Murican english and horrible sentence structure

EDIT: pictures please

OP
OP

Mike14

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hilux

what is a spreader? i know spanner but spreader is the thing used to apply butter to bread and I'm sure that's not what you are referring to. sorry for my 'Murican english and horrible sentence structure

Hi!

It might be called injector? Anyway it was cheap and not as expensive as i thought.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

Hi!

It might be called injector? Anyway it was cheap and not as expensive as i thought.
Mike,

Now I’m as confused as I think poor Dave might be now. :D What does the “spreader” do? It’s not a term I’ve heard used to describe something on a Ranger.

Thanks

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Raptor week 40, Wildtrak `22 2.0 diesel - sold
@Mike14 They have digested my English so far pretty well , so don’t worry. ?
How many km on truck?
You have had a truck before or it’s your first?
I checked Raptor myself also, but went with Wildtrak. EU/UK and US Rangers are more different than first seems.
I purchased mine as factory order with some adds and I take care that everything meets warranty conditions from my side, that’s it.
It would be nice if this Raptor had one more oil change before 20 000 km service.
About shifting. Yes, people complain, but in real life rarely those boxes die. There are weak spots and will be on next generation trucks as well. Same with Hilux and other brand trucks. That doesn’t mean they break down. I know cars with much worse shifting.
I know there were a bunch of injectors replaced on Rangers and Transits, but it’s old story from 2019. I made sure they accidentally didn’t add to my truck some of them ?
You can also go with Hilux, they are much more popular in here. Your choice. ??‍♀

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Hi!

injector makes sense- spreading the fuel into a fine mist

You can also go with Hilux, they are much more popular in here. Your choice. ??‍♀
that's just mean telling him go with Hilux... might as well just said sit on it:thumbsup:
Sponsored