Stumble & Loss Of Power Under Hard Acceleration

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
I've searched the Forums and haven't ran across any discussions. I'm experiencing an extremely intermittent issue when passing traffic and kicking down the transmission to pass. The engine is falling on it's face with no power to pass. It's only happened three times (with me) since I got it new in May. No CEL or codes when I pull the OBD. Has to be fuel or spark related but it's not throwing any codes. I've pulled the plugs all are perfect, cleaned the mass air, changed the air filter, cleaned throttle body, no water in fuel. I've bore scoped each piston, no signs of excessive carbon and no indication of detonation. Loss of boost, I'm unsure? Today my wife was driving and she said that it happened a couple of times with her even accelerating hard off of stop light's ( Haaa, proved my point with her that I'm not the only one with a lead foot).

I thought I saw a thread somewhere that was concerning the engine wiring harness? It's not the transmission as it's happened in sport mode as well. Hate to take it to the stealership and they keep if for weeks on end. Thought's???
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've searched the Forums and haven't ran across any discussions. I'm experiencing an extremely intermittent issue when passing traffic and kicking down the transmission to pass. The engine is falling on it's face with no power to pass. It's only happened three times (with me) since I got it new in May. No CEL or codes when I pull the OBD. Has to be fuel or spark related but it's not throwing any codes. I've pulled the plugs all are perfect, cleaned the mass air, changed the air filter, cleaned throttle body, no water in fuel. I've bore scoped each piston, no signs of excessive carbon and no indication of detonation. Loss of boost, I'm unsure? Today my wife was driving and she said that it happened a couple of times with her even accelerating hard off of stop light's ( Haaa, proved my point with her that I'm not the only one with a lead foot).

I thought I saw a thread somewhere that was concerning the engine wiring harness? It's not the transmission as it's happened in sport mode as well. Hate to take it to the stealership and they keep if for weeks on end. Thought's???

Mass air? there is another fellow on these forms that says there is not mass air...Frankly have not checked..Are you sure there is a mass air sensor??? If so, then this other guy is woefully informed as a "tuner".

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
There is no mass airflow sensor only IAT ( Inlet Air Temperature sensor), The European models have MAF sensors, why the difference, I don’t know....
Try pulling it back to sport mode when passing and make sure it’s above 2500/3000 rpms, see if that works..your rpms may not be high enough in drive.
Regards
Doc

Last edited:

Wheelz2905

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX Crew Cab
I have had this issue happen as well, but I notice it a low speed when just starting the truck for the day and getting on the road. Usually my speed is around 20-25 when this happens. I assume it is due to the engine not being fully up to temp.

OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have had this issue happen as well, but I notice it a low speed when just starting the truck for the day and getting on the road. Usually my speed is around 20-25 when this happens. I assume it is due to the engine not being fully up to temp.
I never have issues when it's cold. Mine is on the highway and fully warmed up. Speed between 55 to 65 and accelerating hard to pass the vehicle in front. Happens extremely intermittent and no matter if in Drive or Sport mode. Has also happened getting on the highway from a dead stop and accelerating hard to get out in front of traffic. Again regardless where the shift selector is at normal or Sport. Doesn't happen every time but when it does its dangerous as hell as it falls on its face. If I back out of the accelerator and ease into it the power returns. It's not shuttering or jerking, just a flat out lack of power.

OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
better start putting in some of that high octane juice.
the suck squeeze bang blow circuit is getting interrupted some how.
just a matter of finding out which part needs the attention

interesting you get no codes though.
Naaww,,,,, I believe that it's an issue with the Dilithium crystals overloading the Flux capacitor's. Ultimately wreaking havoc for my need to violate the space time continuum to pass that little ole lady in the Prius in front of me, lol. No seriously I got home this evening and started it up in 40 degree weather with no idle time and drove it like I stole it. Sliding sideways out of the drive way, foot to the floor, not letting it breathe trying to get this thing to fall on it's face and pop a code for me.... Nope!!!! Ran like green grass through a goose ass.

OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm starting to wonder if I'm getting condensation build up in the intercooler that is leading to my intermittent issue? I had a similar problem on my 2014 F150 V6 ecoboost that got so bad that it had detonation on cylinder 4 and closed the gap on the spark plug. I got lucky with that one with no cylinder damage however, it did throw a code that helped me track it down. Replaced all the plugs and drilled a teeny tiny weep hole at the bottom of the intercooler. This solved my problem on the F150 as it allows the condensation to drain out. Although I do have to admit that I get a small amount of oil residue that I have to wipe off from time to time. Has anyone heard of condensation build up on the Rangers intercoolers yet?? Thought Ford corrected this condensation build up on their intercooler's? Ohh well, time to pop a small drain hole and see if this goes away.

https://www.bluespringsfordparts.com/blog/ecoboost-shudder

Last edited:

Novaman71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 xterra
I'm starting to wonder if I'm getting condensation build up in the intercooler that is leading to my intermittent issue? I had a similar problem on my 2014 F150 V6 ecoboost that got so bad that it had detonation on cylinder 4 and closed the gap on the spark plug. I got lucky with that one with no cylinder damage however, it did throw a code that helped me track it down. Replaced all the plugs and drilled a teeny tiny weep hole at the bottom of the intercooler. This solved my problem on the F150 as it allows the condensation to drain out. Although I do have to admit that I get a small amount of oil residue that I have to wipe off from time to time. Has anyone heard of condensation build up on the Rangers intercoolers yet?? Thought Ford corrected this condensation build up on their intercooler's? Ohh well, time to pop a small drain hole and see if this goes away.

Having the same issue , it’s like the pedal just goes dead for a few seconds. No rhyme or reason as to when it happens.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired

You might have an injector problem ..
Regards

OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fixed mine months ago. Verified to much condensation in the intercooler. Just like my F-150 I just drilled a small weep hole in the bottom of the intercooler. Now before you guys get your panties all in a wad, yes I could have easily put a catch can on.

Novaman71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 xterra
Fixed mine months ago. Verified to much condensation in the intercooler. Just like my F-150 I just drilled a small weep hole in the bottom of the intercooler. Now before you guys get your panties all in a wad, yes I could have easily put a catch can on.
Any particular place you drilled it?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I noticed that both of you that experienced this are in very humid areas (Florida and Mobile).

Is this only an issue in a humid climate or is it something we all should look for?

Will an aftermarket intercooler solve it? (Honey it's solely to fix that problem. No, I didn't get it to increase the power)

I've never experienced it but I don't have a lot of miles yet.

OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any particular place you drilled it?
In the lower right corner. Just follow the F150 steps in the link I provided earlier in this thread. Be warned that you will have a small amount of oil weeping out of the intercooler from the engine blowby. I just wipe mine off at every oil change.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I noticed that both of you that experienced this are in very humid areas (Florida and Mobile).

Is this only an issue in a humid climate or is it something we all should look for?

Will an aftermarket intercooler solve it? (Honey it's solely to fix that problem. No, I didn't get it to increase the power)

I've never experienced it but I don't have a lot of miles yet.
Yes for sure our area humidity has some effect. If your going with an aftermarket intercooler just get one with a drain valve or plug. All intercoolers have a build up of oil and condensation. Just some are worse than others, or should I say others are more efficient with cooling. Anytime you take heated air and rapidly cool it you will get condensation.

Novaman71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 xterra
Yes for sure our area humidity has some effect. If your going with an aftermarket intercooler just get one with a drain valve or plug. All intercoolers have a build up of oil and condensation. Just some are worse than others, or should I say others are more efficient with cooling. Anytime you take heated air and rapidly cool it you will get condensation.
After you drilled the hole on your Ranger , how much crap came out ?
Sponsored