Auto Start/Stop Immediately Turns Back On

Cdveltri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Hey everyone, recently when I come to a stop, the auto start stop will turn off like normal, stay off for about half a second and turn back on. At first it only seemed to do it on hit days while the AC was on, then started to do it on hot days while I wasn't running the AC. Lately it does it all the time. It will be 65 degrees out, I have no electronics running but the radio and it will still turn off and immediately turn back on. My initial thought is my battery may be low voltage? But wanted to see if anyone else had thoughts or experiences with it.
Sponsored

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
What is your foot doing on the brake pedal?

If you lift, even a small amount, it will cut the truck back on thinking you are going to accelerate. I've gotten pretty good at time it with the lights (when I don't turn it off completely) using this method.

OP
OP
Cdveltri

Cdveltri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
What is your foot doing on the brake pedal?

If you lift, even a small amount, it will cut the truck back on thinking you are going to accelerate. I've gotten pretty good at time it with the lights (when I don't turn it off completely) using this method.
Yea when it first started sorta doing it I had thought this may be the case. I've also gotten fairly good at applying light pressure to prevent it from turning off at stop signs and such, but I am applying firm pressure and it still does it unfortunately

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Mine would do the same thing if I lifted up on the brake pedal even a little bit. Supper annoying really. So I installed one of these and just keep it turned off.

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Super basic, but get under the dash and wiggle the brake pedal/hardware for play. Might just be a loose spring in the switch or something under there??

OP
OP
Cdveltri

Cdveltri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Super basic, but get under the dash and wiggle the brake pedal/hardware for play. Might just be a loose spring in the switch or something under there??
Worth a shot, I'll give that a try next time I go out. Thanks for the input

OP
OP
Cdveltri

Cdveltri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
i thought somewhere in the information display it will tell you the parameter that is at fault.
i guess read the manual...should direct you to it

and buy a nightlight.

and while you're at it, get a tailgate damper too if you havent already.

then lift your truck and put on mudders so you can buy an aftermarket extended range fuel tank that hangs lower than the frame.

got ya covered. youre welcome
Well, I have to say thank you for what I assumed was a somewhat sarcastic comment haha. The nightlight comment made me realize I still had my camera battery charger plugged into the rear outlet. As soon as I unplugged it the problem went away :facepalm:. Doesn't fully explain my previous observations so I'll keep an eye on it still, but that very well could have been confirmation bias. Anyways, thank you all for the help!

DrizzyDrake

First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy GTB, RX7 FD, soon buying a ranger
Occupation
Technician at Subaru
To assist with anyone's future diag of a similar issue and they stumble across this post:

Reasons stop-start doesn't operate as normal:
-A/C is on (needs compressor)
-not enough brake pressure (or it may possibly brake switch sensed)
-sport mode selected
-Battery voltage dropped below threshold
-Engine is still too cold
-start stop off button is pressed
-Check engine fault may cause no stop-start
-Temperature settings (high temp/low temp. Defrost also may cancel Stop-start)

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Other things can change the way ASS works. Just moving steering wheel will got it to start. Being in sport mode overrides it and rear window defrost on will also override
Sponsored