Looking for a thick Leather like Steering Wheel Cover

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Being a Race Car Driver...I love the feel of a fat steering wheel over the current wheels, but my buddy has a 1965 Chrysler Newport...a big old boat that has a pencil thin steering wheel.

but some thin wheels are just classic....

E Type Dash (Small).jpg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
but some thin wheels are just classic....

Agreed :)

wheelskins.jpg
Hi Dave,

Seeing this steering wheel with Horn Ring brings a story from some of the old timers at Ford. This was before my time, but as summarized by an old timer at Ford those days. There was a problem with shipping from one of the assembly plants...When the cars from this plant arrived at the rail mixing yard at the end of the train trip, all the vehicles' batteries were dead. This caused great grief for the crew unloading the vehicles. Each one needed a jump and if there were 300 or so cars on the rail cars, it was a lot of work and slowed everything down. So after several unloading events with cars with dead batteries, the Engineers outfitted a vehicle with a crude recorder that would record current draw out of the battery on the Vehicle. At the mixing yard, the instrumented vehicle did indeed have a dead battery, so with agonizing and lengthy analysis of the real time data, they determined the vehicle had a huge draw on one particular portion of the train ride...So what was causing this? So they had a poor Engineer with a cooler of food and soft drinks ride in one of the new vehicles for the train ride to the mixing yard. The train ride was all day long...but when he got to the end he had the answer. It was the horn causing the draw and what caused it was the horn ring vibrating in resonance on one long section of train tracks. Can you imagine this poor fellow listening to 300 cars honking their horns for a lengthy time....:shock:

Not sure how the engineers fixed this long term but short term was to disconnect the battery for the train ride...

Best,
Phil

veloci1

First Name
andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4wd XLT Ionic Silver.
nice!!!! how long did it take you to install? how quickly did they ship to you?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
20210721_130723.jpg

IMG_20210721_133442_344.jpg

Doing a full wrap is not for the faint of heart! The airbag connectors are really finicky.. But I am really happy with the result.

I got mine here: https://www.eastdetailing.com/collections/ford/products/copy-of-2015-2020
This looks great!

The instructions on the website don't have you removing any connectors but it looks like you get a better result if you do.

Also, how nice is the leather?

The leather on my Jeep steering wheel has a very nice and premium feel to it.

The leather on my Ranger steering wheel feels like vinyl.

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
This looks great!

The instructions on the website don't have you removing any connectors but it looks like you get a better result if you do.

Also, how nice is the leather?

The leather on my Jeep steering wheel has a very nice and premium feel to it.

The leather on my Ranger steering wheel feels like vinyl.
It's obviously impregnated with polymers for longevity, but it feels nice to the touch. It's got some squish to it

bluemonstr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger 4x4
Occupation
Analyst
One of the first things I do with any of my vehicles (including those with leather) is wrap them. I've done this with my past 4 cars. I guess I'm getting better at it. I'm MOST happy with what I did with my Ranger...this literally cost me less than 10 on ebay. Wheel feels 1000's times better.

IMG_20220313_171458954.jpg

bzmotoninja83

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 2014 Focus 2000 Explorer 1987 Goldwing
I know it's been a while but, can you link that, please and ty

ReigleCM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
NASA Geospatial Analyst

Gumbo

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
sales
Hadn't seen anyone talk about this, but one of my favorite additions to my Ranger has been a leather steering wheel cover from Wheelskins. My previous car had an awesome steering wheel and I was a little disappointed in the feel of the steering wheel on my Tremor XLT. It was $60 directly from them.
IMG_3697.jpg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You can read back in this thread. I merged it with the other 2 threads that were similar.

Rob09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021.25 XLT
20210721_130723.jpg

IMG_20210721_133442_344.jpg

Doing a full wrap is not for the faint of heart! The airbag connectors are really finicky.. But I am really happy with the result.

I got mine here: https://www.eastdetailing.com/collections/ford/products/copy-of-2015-2020

I got an East Detailing one for my other (wife's) car. Quality so far has been bang on, bar a couple of very small sections only I'd probably notice, it looks OEM to me. Looks like there's a crease in the pic (bottom RHS), but there isn't in person, that was 5 mins after install.

Doesn't slip, doesn't move, easy to do (never sewn before), just a little time consuming.

One of the best value mod's I've ever done, on any vehicle.

thumbnail_IMG_5184.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5197.jpg
Sponsored