First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Occupation
Sales
Ok, so I'll go test drive a standard XLT and try to find these shakes and shimmy that some experience.
Sponsored

Elgorr4

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
My 21 ranger is at over 18k miles now and my main complaints are more preference than anything. I wish the bed were 6 inches longer. Even the Scab 6ft bed is not quite long enough to put my skis in straight, I would have bought a single cab if it were available in the states. Also I wish one of the cup holders was big enough to fit a nalgene. Mechanically it is super solid. I have no shutter on take off, even when brake boosting and launching from a light. The transmission has a lot of gears and the computer has a preference for fuel efficient driving. This is how I drive anyway so I don't mind the lugging occasionally. If I want to rally I drop it into sport mode. It occasionally clunks on a downshift but it is a very specific circumstance that is almost impossible to recreate on purpose. The interior is dated compared to more modern vehicles but I'm driving an XL so that tells you how much I care about the bells and whistles. The power at altitude is awesome. We are all biased towards the ranger here but just wanted to give another data point on them for you. Ranger has best in class towing and payload if that matters to you.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I'm not reading 4 pages or replies, but I will say I love the current ranger, but if you can wait for 6G, then wait. I think (hope) a lot of the shortcomings in the current ranger will be resolved. If you can't wait, and you decide on a ranger, it's fine. You'll just be scratching your head saying, why did they do this... or that.

It's a fine truck, it's just lacking some stuff that should have been thought out better.

CF6-mech

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger 4x4
Occupation
aircraft mechanic
10,500 miles on my Ranger. We have had great luck with ours. Five days after I bought the Ranger my Wife and Son took it on a 3500 mile road trip. I am glad there were no bugs from the factory. I bought in early June and there was only one Ranger on the lot. My dealer gave me the same price as buying through Costco which took $2700 off msrp.

Chattownranger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanic
While I somewhat agree with Tom_C I understand the need for a vehicle before the next generation arrives. Also, who’s to say they won’t have issues as well. That being said. I love my ranger. 2020 XLT FX4. I’ve had one issue that I had to take to the dealer and that was the passenger side window switch crapped out leaving the window in the down position. It was fixed the next day and really not that big of a deal. Mine has interior rattles but I also have a dumped 3” exhaust that attributes to the noises inside the cab. I have had my issues with the 10spd but this is just my personal preference. I hate automatic transmissions anyway and this one has so many gears it just exacerbates my anxiety lol. I’ve done the ford suspension with after market upper control arms and also have icon leaf springs sitting in my shop to install. Again, all personal preference. I also did the ford tune among other things. The truck was perfect just the way it was from the factory but I never have left anything alone.
im glad you are driving multiple vehicles to see what suites you best. Honestly I would love a gladiator if it wasn’t for
1) the tiny bed
2) all the “Jeep folk” that think Jeep is God’s gift to anything and everything automotive. I’ve had several and they are ok but come on!
I love my ranger. Have towed and loaded it down and rode on the rear bump stops and off roaded and camped and done about everything with my truck and it always performs flawlessly. It’s got dents and scratches all over but still looks great for the abuse I’ve dealt out to it. I would say you can’t go wrong with the ranger but again, like said previously, we are kinda biased here. I’m sure you will find what works best for you.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
I had a 2016 Frontier and I loved it. Never had issues with it, solid truck.

Now with my Ranger.

In stock form, I had two main issues. Shudder at take off and a feeling of being hit in the rear when slowing down to a stop.

After adding a 2.5" leveling kit I started getting some pretty bad vibrations. I guess I can't really blame the truck since I did modify the truck from it's stock form. A one piece drive shaft fixed my issue. Now, I don't have vibrations, nor the shudder at take off.

The only issue I continue to have is when I slow down and come to a stop, I feel a thump and it feels as if someone is hitting my rear bumper. The weird thing is, that it doesn't always do it. Sometimes it's smooth and sometimes it does it.

Aside from that, my truck hasn't had a single problem in 10K miles and I don't baby my truck. It's done a lot of off-roading, and a lot of long trips.

If I were looking at midsize trucks right now, I would be in the same boat as you. Frontier first, Ranger second, only because of the small issues i've had with mine. Not super happy with the fact that I had to buy to a one piece drive shaft to fix my shudder at take off and vibration issues.

I will say though, that even with those issues, I still love this truck. I love the power, and the comfort. Off-roading its been extremely capable as well. Assuming I don't have any major issues with it, I plan on keeping this truck for the long haul, and that's saying something because I usually trade in after a few years.

I did tow with it and it did AMAZING. Towed a Camry to California and even going up the steep hills this thing did great. Was really impressed.

I did an oil change this past weekend and my oil level seemed high and had a HEAVY gas smell on it. I sent a sample out for analysis. Keep in mind I do 90 percent highway driving, so I didn't think I would have this issue like some people here have that do mainly short trips. I will report back on the forums with the results. We shall see what that's about.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BillyT

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Occupation
Sales
Great info, appreciate it! What year is your Ranger?

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
5300 miles and am very satisfied with my Ranger. There are a few things Ford could have done better or upgraded but I wouldn't trade my Ranger for any other truck out there.

OP
OP

BillyT

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Occupation
Sales
I had a 2016 Frontier and I loved it. Never had issues with it, solid truck.

Now with my Ranger.

In stock form, I had two main issues. Shudder at take off and a feeling of being hit in the rear when slowing down to a stop.

After adding a 2.5" leveling kit I started getting some pretty bad vibrations. I guess I can't really blame the truck since I did modify the truck from it's stock form. A one piece drive shaft fixed my issue. Now, I don't have vibrations, nor the shudder at take off.

The only issue I continue to have is when I slow down and come to a stop, I feel a thump and it feels as if someone is hitting my rear bumper. The weird thing is, that it doesn't always do it. Sometimes it's smooth and sometimes it does it.

Aside from that, my truck hasn't had a single problem in 10K miles and I don't baby my truck. It's done a lot of off-roading, and a lot of long trips.

If I were looking at midsize trucks right now, I would be in the same boat as you. Frontier first, Ranger second, only because of the small issues i've had with mine. Not super happy with the fact that I had to buy to a one piece drive shaft to fix my shudder at take off and vibration issues.

I will say though, that even with those issues, I still love this truck. I love the power, and the comfort. Off-roading its been extremely capable as well. Assuming I don't have any major issues with it, I plan on keeping this truck for the long haul, and that's saying something because I usually trade in after a few years.

I did tow with it and it did AMAZING. Towed a Camry to California and even going up the steep hills this thing did great. Was really impressed.

I did an oil change this past weekend and my oil level seemed high and had a HEAVY gas smell on it. I sent a sample out for analysis. Keep in mind I do 90 percent highway driving, so I didn't think I would have this issue like some people here have that do mainly short trips. I will report back on the forums with the results. We shall see what that's about.

OP
OP

BillyT

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Occupation
Sales
What was the out come of the oil and I heard about the thumping when braking?

JeeperCreeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep + Ranger Tremor
As you can tell by my handle, I'm a Jeep guy.

I'm also at a place in my life that I could have purchased any truck.

For my young family, as a daily, and hoping to get 15 years minimum service life, I chose a Ranger Tremor.

I am a research nut, and sifted through all the issues. If you look for issues online, you'll find them.

Most modern midsized trucks will be great. But issues, generally, don't discriminate on brand. Anything mechanical can break.

Modern cars are a marvel of engineering and manufacturing.

So needless to say, if you like the Ranger, get the Ranger. You'll be driving it every day. Get the one that brings a smile to your face.

For me, it was the Ranger Tremor. Picked it over a Ram Warlock/Rebel, Tacoma, Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, everything.
Sponsored