Anyone ever considered a pedal switch for lighting?

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I’m old enough to remember light switches on the floor and it’s a step backward to locate it there, IMO. I understand Chevy did away with the light stalk in current trucks, but if you need a manual switch - at the steering wheel is a lot better option than the floor.
Sponsored

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Sorry to hear about your experience...seems not all auto high beams are made the same...mine are near perfect...occasionally, it'll turn on just as a car rounds the corner and flashes for a second then off...they probably thought I flashed at them lol...other than those rare incidences mine works as expected...I don't have rain wipers to comment about...
My experience with the auto high beams and auto wipers is great, I like the features. Maybe, as Sid mentions, they are not all setup correctly???

Grandaccess

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Ah...I didn't realize you're hooking up extras to the high beam...
I would have always had them on their own switch? ....

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Would be neat for nitrous!
Not sure why. You do not want to activate the nitrous solenoids until you are at WOT and the best way to do that is a micro switch on the throttle.

Reactions: TJC

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Not a new idea. One reason that high beam switches are no longer on the floor is because they would corrode from water, mud, snow, salt... and no longer work. Unless the switch is sealed, same thing would likely happen.
Yup, high beams used to be activated by a button on the floorboards. I think they started moving away from that in the 80s.
I recall the button getting kinda crusty....

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I would have always had them on their own switch? ....
Because forward spot lights would not be on in any situation high beams would not be on anyhow. Once you have your high powered lights high beam triggered you will find having to screw around with a switch to be sort of barbaric.

The high beam stalk is the most natural place to instantly turn them on/off because your brain is already trained to manipulate through muscle memory due to years or decades of use. No other setup allows your hands to remain where they should be (steering wheel). Well, minus the old school foot activation.

Grandaccess

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Computer Consultant
its barbaric that in this day we cant just say Google turn on daylight mode, a manual switch is so late 1900s LOL
I cant even talk about google to a friend without her replying ....

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Yup, high beams used to be activated by a button on the floorboards. I think they started moving away from that in the 80s.
I recall the button getting kinda crusty....
I loved the high beams on the floor board - freed up the hands. But I never lived in the salt laden highways of the frigid north country.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I would tend to agree that the floor mounted dimmer switch is subject to corrosion but I have had quite a few vehicles with them in my 50+ years of driving in New England winters and never had an issue with them.

You can get the floor mounted dimmer switch for $5 - $10 and a pig tail with the appropriate connector for around $5 too. I have installed one in my FFR Speedstar hot rod in place of the supplied dash mounted toggle switch.

Screenshot_20231127-073304.png
Same here, floor dimmer on the '72 FJ40 and never had an issue with it (splashed through a lot of Gulf of Mexico salt water in my younger days and then New England winters recently).

I do miss that nice heavy clunk of using it when it was my daily driver. =)

And I like the idea of using one in my Ranger to control something (lights, dump bed, who knows, now to find something!). =D

1701200429567.jpeg

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I’m old enough to remember light switches on the floor and it’s a step backward to locate it there, IMO. I understand Chevy did away with the light stalk in current trucks, but if you need a manual switch - at the steering wheel is a lot better option than the floor.
I agree...why not just use the high beam stalk for the same purpose as the foot switch?

Dr_Strangelove

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 XLT Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Art & Design
Because forward spot lights would not be on in any situation high beams would not be on anyhow. Once you have your high powered lights high beam triggered you will find having to screw around with a switch to be sort of barbaric.

The high beam stalk is the most natural place to instantly turn them on/off because your brain is already trained to manipulate through muscle memory due to years or decades of use. No other setup allows your hands to remain where they should be (steering wheel). Well, minus the old school foot activation.

Erm... *shouts* "SIRI TURN ON MY HIGH BEAMS!! NO! NO! MY CAR HIGH BEAMS DAMNIT!!"
Sponsored