TheRoushRanger046

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Roush Ranger
Hey Guys -

Curious here... I have leather and know that the basic rule is that as it gets worn in .. small “cracks” or lines get placed.

How do we stop that?

What’s the best treatment?

How often do you treat the leather?

… add pics if you have, as I’m trying to figure out how some leather in trucks / cars 2-3 years old or…75K miles on them and the leather is all smooth everywhere. Even where your bum-bum sits lol ??

Thanks all! ?
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Not to worry Mack. These days the leather in vehicles isn't the leather of yesterday. It has a protective coating, and can be cleaned with a damp cloth. You really don't even need a leather treatment. Putting a UV protectant on it from time to time is a good idea though.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
The only "leather" in the entire vehicle is the few square feet that your butt sits on and depending on the vehicle, where the center of your back hits. Also, maybe, the leather wrapped steering wheel.
Everything else, side bolsters, seat sides, back top bottom, rear seat, is that famous artificially made "Pleather", which is a fancy name for vinyl that has been treated with the sweat from two platypuses' going at it hot n heavy, but if no sweat available, plain ol vinyl is used.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
The only "leather" in the entire vehicle is the few square feet that your butt sits on and depending on the vehicle, where the center of your back hits. Also, maybe, the leather wrapped steering wheel.
Everything else, side bolsters, seat sides, back top bottom, rear seat, is that famous artificially made "Pleather", which is a fancy name for vinyl that has been treated with the sweat from two platypuses' going at it hot n heavy, but if no sweat available, plain ol vinyl is used.
While true for our Lariats, OP has a Roush, and I believe they use genuine leather.

2021-Ranger-CB3.jpg

From the Roush Ranger supplemental manual...
Leather
Real leather is not uniform and may have scars, scratches, and wrinkles. To clean your leather, use a mild soap
or leather cleaner and wipe it with a damp soft cloth. Buff the leather after cleaning with a dry, soft cloth.
Regular maintenance will protect the leather and help it retain its natural beauty.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Steve,

Yep....Leather seating surfaces means where your butt is parked. Leather Trim means where your butt and back park..... Otherwise a whole bunch of Nogas gave up their skin...

best,
Phil

OP
OP
TheRoushRanger046

TheRoushRanger046

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Roush Ranger
While true for our Lariats, OP has a Roush, and I believe they use genuine leather.

2021-Ranger-CB3.jpg

From the Roush Ranger supplemental manual...
Thanks D Fresh … it means a lot. I was getting worried cause after just a few short months the cracks in it were getting pretty bad. I’ve been cleaning the leather with a conditioner and just a light / damped rag about once a week.

Knowing this was genuine leather in the ROUSH I was curious about treatment. I’m used to the vinyl leather in most of the cars I’ve owned like most on here say … didn’t know about this leather.

Thanks .. all.

(If anyone else has a ROUSH, curious if they have any pics of any years to see the leather .. I’d love to have you all post if.)

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Thanks D Fresh … it means a lot. I was getting worried cause after just a few short months the cracks in it were getting pretty bad. I’ve been cleaning the leather with a conditioner and just a light / damped rag about once a week.

Knowing this was genuine leather in the ROUSH I was curious about treatment. I’m used to the vinyl leather in most of the cars I’ve owned like most on here say … didn’t know about this leather.

Thanks .. all.

(If anyone else has a ROUSH, curious if they have any pics of any years to see the leather .. I’d love to have you all post if.)
FWIW, I like the Meguire's Leather Conditioner.

OP
OP
TheRoushRanger046

TheRoushRanger046

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Roush Ranger
FWIW, I like the Meguire's Leather Conditioner.
Of course .. been using that lately. It still keeps it nice, but was worried about genuine leather and how to keep it up with the OCD I have .. lol.

Appreciate all this. Means a lot and means I at least picked a good product to start with.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
There are dozens of good leather conditioners, but it’s hard to beat Lexol as a general purpose leather cleaner/conditioner.

https://www.lexol.com/

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

MADPolo

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Consultant
There will be a ton of opinions on what brand leather cleaner and conditioner you should use. All have merits I'm sure. I'll just throw mine in and second Lexol cleaner and Lexol conditioner. I've used it on all of my vehicles that have come with Leather and "Leather" and it's always worked well. Get a nice leather cleaning brush, some microfiber applicators and some microfiber rags and you should be good to go.

Will anything 100% prevent wear and lines in leather? I just don't think any product can make that claim. Humans are oily and there clothes are as well and that all affects leather, so the best you can do is clean and protect and hope for the best.
Sponsored