Is There A Quiet Roof Rack?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I know that with ANY roof rack there will be some additional wind noise, but I wanted to see if anyone had installed a particular model that was notable by not adding a ton of extra noise.

I've read that the Prinsu is a real howler without the noise strip on the front but gets a lot better after it's installed.

But is it objectionable even with the noise strip?

I'd like to get a realistic assessment of the noise increase before I cut holes in my roof.

I already have one very noisy vehicle and I don't want my Ranger to become a second offender.

Thanks for any experiences shared.
Sponsored

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I have a Thule aero bar roof rack with the older Rapid Traverse feet kit. No holes drilled and it clamps onto the seam under the door seal. There is some noise, but considering the feet interrupt the door seal some, it's not bad at all. A little music and I don't even notice it unless I focus on it. But I like that if I don't need it, I can remove it.

I had the bike rack mounted to the bars in this pic.
PXL_20220918_162733953~3 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 XLT SuperCrew 4x2. Former '21 SuperCab Owner
The short answer is no. I have a Yakima Jetstream setup and it's loud enough that I remove it unless I need them. It's not so loud that I wouldn't get used to it, but I'm glad that I can take it off the roof when I don't.
IMG_3537.jpeg

I've also used my Yakima HD bars up there. They are a little louder than the Jetstream bars
IMG_3758.jpeg

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Get the Aero style, had them on my Focus and there was barely any noticeable noise. I also had folding J-hooks that latched onto the aero bars very securely.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I have the Prinsu. You are right, it is unbearable without that trim piece. Now with that piece on there, I would say it is usually no louder than when I had the Ford (Thule) feet and bars on my Ford Edge. I say usually because you also need to consider the side pieces - and they lead to more noise in a cross-wind.

I still believe it it worth it for the flexibility of a platform style rack. The additional cross bars and full length side rails offer a lot more options for straps, hooks, and accessories.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Mines obviously not an off the shelf product, but just through pure dumb luck my design doesn't really exhibit much noise. All I hear is a faint build of wind under accelerations if my windows are open and to be honest I cannot tell if its my rack or the air intake (cause that is sort of what it sounds like). I've had something over my cab now for so long I couldn't tell you what it sounded like before.

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
Ive got Rhino Rack aero style on my canopy. With those and a Yakima skybox up there, i hear minimal noise. Granted, they’re behind the cab.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Prinsu, which included the trim piece for the front. I don't really hear anything when I drive, even with the windows down. On windy days, when the cross breeze is just right, there is a whistle, but it happens few and far between.

Joconnor

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tremor
Occupation
Insurance
I have a Thule aero bar roof rack with the older Rapid Traverse feet kit. No holes drilled and it clamps onto the seam under the door seal. There is some noise, but considering the feet interrupt the door seal some, it's not bad at all. A little music and I don't even notice it unless I focus on it. But I like that if I don't need it, I can remove it.

I had the bike rack mounted to the bars in this pic.
PXL_20220918_162733953~3 - Copy.jpg
Thule aero bars are the quietest I’ve found

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 XLT SuperCrew 4x2. Former '21 SuperCab Owner
Ive got Rhino Rack aero style on my canopy. With those and a Yakima skybox up there, i hear minimal noise. Granted, they’re behind the cab.
The Yakima HD bars were pretty loud when I had them above the cab, but I run them on my bed most of the time and can't hear them at all. I don't have any experience with the Prinsu racks, but it could be that if you can quiet the part right above you, then the rest won't really bug you. I bet the HD bars are just as noisy behind me as they were above, but I don't notice and a good chuck of the time I have a 6' ladder on then and don't hear it either.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
The Yakima HD bars were pretty loud when I had them above the cab, but I run them on my bed most of the time and can't hear them at all. I don't have any experience with the Prinsu racks, but it could be that if you can quiet the part right above you, then the rest won't really bug you. I bet the HD bars are just as noisy behind me as they were above, but I don't notice and a good chuck of the time I have a 6' ladder on then and don't hear it either.
I only hear noise from the bed rack (overhaul with HD bars) on the side with the load warrior skinny basket. it is annoying because it sounds like a window isn't closed all the way. but not so annoying that I am going to change anything . . .

of note, the basket also has the extension so it sits just over the cab by maybe 6 inches. . . so that might be causing some additional noise.

Of course, if we get the house we're bidding on, I will have to remove the basket to fit in the garage. . . and I am spitballing how to hang the basket from the underside of the bars . . .
Sponsored