Is Sync 3 Version 3.3 the Newest Available?

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase

nluongo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Vehicle Showcase
@Anthony >> If you're asking if they are the same as the ones I used from:

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/upgrade-sync-3-v3-0-v3-4-instructions-458828/

then, I would have to answer "not exactly". The instructions I used also reference the use of 3 USB sticks to do the upgrade BUT, their firmware instructions on the site involve the use of special applications and a piece of hardware meant for flashing firmware. That flashing cannot be accomplished via the USB port of the vehicle. So, in my case, I did not flash as my truck is a 2019 and supposedly flashing is not required. The order of updating with the 3 USB stick then was:

#1 - Reformat file system on Sync to prep for v3.4 install
#2 - v3.4 initial install and Nav map update to v 118 ( I have Nav otherwise the install routine control file (*.lst) would have to be modified with a text editor to remove the references to the maps/voice files. Easy, but not something I had to do.
#3 - update v3.4 to later build (19274)

The process went smooth (took an hour or so) and it worked afterwards. As my original post says, the climate icon that was on the lower touch screen in my previous versions of Sync disappeared after the 3.4 upgrade and I can't figure out how to get it back even after setting APIM back to my VIN AsBuilt.

*Super Duty instructions are a little different I have read as it relates to the ForScan mods. But the recommendation in all cases has been to reset APIM to default before upgrade. I did that and the Climate Icon went bye bye anyway :mad:

Don't know if that's what you were after or offering but above is my experience with it so far.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Sounds like a step backwards. Iā€™ll wait until an official release.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I reached out to Mike Levine on Twitter to get a definitive yes or no if 3.4 will be available on 2019 Rangers (or any 2019 vehicle for that matter) in the future or not. He advised he will check when everyone is back in the office after New Years. Hopefully if we get a yes, it will keep people from accidentally bricking their head units (and get working climate control!)

dan1431

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I am too am curious and beyond a business decision would there be any other technical reason why FORD would not update 2019 Sync3 systems to the latest iteration of the software?

James Caper

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 f150, 2019 Ranger
They have always done this! Very disappointing year after year to only get current if you own a new model. I know I change vehicles more than average and each year you only get the version it came with. IE 2018 3.3 and 2019 3.3.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
They have always done this! Very disappointing year after year to only get current if you own a new model. I know I change vehicles more than average and each year you only get the version it came with. IE 2018 3.3 and 2019 3.3.
Yeah, it is weird. My wife's 2018 Edge does not have the Sirius logos for each channel, but my 2019 Ranger does. Why??!?!

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I am too am curious and beyond a business decision would there be any other technical reason why FORD would not update 2019 Sync3 systems to the latest iteration of the software?
Could be hardware. Maybe newer vehicles have upgraded hardware or there is different hardware between vehicles.

nluongo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Vehicle Showcase
My understanding is that the APIM for v3.x of Sync is update capable within the Sync v3 versions. We will not be able to go to Sync 4 as the APIM hardware is different. In fact, the upgrade process (commonly referenced as USB1, USB2 & USB3) has a reformat utility on USB1 to get the Sync File System formatted correctly. If you're running v3.2 or newer already, this step is not required. Even though I was already at v3.3 before upgrading to v3.4, I went ahead and did the reformat in an attempt to eliminate the missing Climate icon. It didn't help.

I can't find any references to my particular problem anywhere but most of the articles are from people with F Series trucks, not 2019 Rangers. So if anyone with a 19 Ranger has done the v3.4 upgrade, was it successful? If yes, can you post the process you followed if different from the F Series posts reference in this thread? Thanks

It is potentially possible that a subtle hardware difference from Ranger to F150 APIM may have tripped off the Climate icon when going to v3.4 but it would need confirmation from another member here to confirm if they had same issue.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing I can think of is it doesnā€™t recognize the EATC on the Ranger. Had a guy on BON use the instructions I linked on his 17 F-150 and it worked fine. Weird. Iā€™ll follow up with Mike Levine tomorrow.

James Caper

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 f150, 2019 Ranger
My understanding is that the APIM for v3.x of Sync is update capable within the Sync v3 versions. We will not be able to go to Sync 4 as the APIM hardware is different. In fact, the upgrade process (commonly referenced as USB1, USB2 & USB3) has a reformat utility on USB1 to get the Sync File System formatted correctly. If you're running v3.2 or newer already, this step is not required. Even though I was already at v3.3 before upgrading to v3.4, I went ahead and did the reformat in an attempt to eliminate the missing Climate icon. It didn't help.

I can't find any references to my particular problem anywhere but most of the articles are from people with F Series trucks, not 2019 Rangers. So if anyone with a 19 Ranger has done the v3.4 upgrade, was it successful? If yes, can you post the process you followed if different from the F Series posts reference in this thread? Thanks

It is potentially possible that a subtle hardware difference from Ranger to F150 APIM may have tripped off the Climate icon when going to v3.4 but it would need confirmation from another member here to confirm if they had same issue.
So without the icon how can you control climate functions like fan speed. Did you go back to 3.3

James Caper

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 f150, 2019 Ranger
This may or may not help with your climate issue, hopefully you have Forscan

You need to use Forscan to access the APIM module (Do this at your own risk) and change the codes as follows:
7D0-01-02 xxxx x2xx xxxx
and 1 of the following:
7D0-01-01 xxxx xxx3 xxxx - Dual Zone & HD radio avail
7D0-01-01 xxxx xxx2 xxxx - Dual Zone & HD radio not avail
Sponsored