Is it a lot of money to install the tow package on a used 2021 Ranger?

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Tow hitch accessory is the correct one. There are only 2 different OEM bumpers; one with the receiver/hitch and one without. Doesn't matter which trim/package you may have.

For wiring, I used the OEM 7/4 pin connector and the wiring harness to connect it. Part numbers were:

FU5Z-14489-A is the connector sleeve/7 and 4 pin connector
KB3Z-15K868-D is the wiring harness (remove existing wiring harness/4 pin plug and replace with the new harness).

Note: There are different wiring harnesses based on the presence of reverse sensors in the bumper. The part number I used did have the connections for the reverse sensors, as I had them in the bumper and needed them in the harness for my install.
Great thank you.

I ordered the same for my 2019. install was a bit of a pain, took about 2 HRS. I don't know how much different the Sport is.
When I went to install the bumper step, the instructions showed 3 bolts underneath the bumper. Mine only had 2 and using them put the step inside the bumper making it useless.
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Don't you need transmission and radiator coolers?
Already built in. All you need is the harness for connecting electrical and the tow hitch. Difference between factory and aftermarket is factory is incorporated into the bumper so it sits higher. Aftermarket will be below so a few inches lower. That’s it!

NCRANGER

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Great thank you.

When I went to install the bumper step, the instructions showed 3 bolts underneath the bumper. Mine only had 2 and using them put the step inside the bumper making it useless.

The non-tow package bumper uses 2 bolts on each side to secure the bumper to the chassis, while the OEM tow package bumper uses 3 bolts on each side to secure it to the chassis. The non-tow bumper covers the center bolt hole, only using the outer 2 bolt holes on each side. Those outer 2 holes are also used if you opt for an aftermarket non OEM hitch. The Tow hitch accessory supplies the additional 2 bolts needed to secure the Ford tow package bumper (3 on each side vs 2 on each side).

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
The non-tow package bumper uses 2 bolts on each side to secure the bumper to the chassis, while the OEM tow package bumper uses 3 bolts on each side to secure it to the chassis. The non-tow bumper covers the center bolt hole, only using the outer 2 bolt holes on each side. Those outer 2 holes are also used if you opt for an aftermarket non OEM hitch. The Tow hitch accessory supplies the additional 2 bolts needed to secure the Ford tow package bumper (3 on each side vs 2 on each side).
Ok I see now. When you say "Tow hitch accessory" you're referring to the bracket kit? It shows the extra two bolts here it looks like.

View attachment 146489

NCRANGER

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ok I see now. When you say "Tow hitch accessory" you're referring to the bracket kit? It shows the extra two bolts here it looks like.

View attachment 146489
Correct. The Bracket is actually the bumper frame integrated with the tow hitch. The existing step pad and bumper ends are transferred from the existing non-tow bumper bracket.

JeffB

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Muastang, Mazda 6
Already built in. All you need is the harness for connecting electrical and the tow hitch. Difference between factory and aftermarket is factory is incorporated into the bumper so it sits higher. Aftermarket will be below so a few inches lower. That’s it!
Ranger 2022. It appears that all we need to haul a trailer is the hitch. Is that correct? I mean everything appears to be mounted to the frame of the truck. Understood electrical wiring would be needed, but I'm wondering about the towing ability.

JeffB

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Muastang, Mazda 6
What is gained by doing this? IT sounds like from what you are saying a person can tow with the non-tow bumper. My 2022 has a spot for the ball to be inserted through.

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 XLT SuperCrew 4x2. Former '21 SuperCab Owner
The biggest problem with using the hole in the bumper is that it is way too high for most trailers. I have the drawtite hitch for my truck, which is a little lower than even the factory hitch below the bumper, and I still need to use a dropped ball mount for every trailer I've encountered.

My truck didn't come with the tow package. I never considered adding the factory pieces because it involves trading out too many things with no real end benefit. The factory hitch is cleaner and if I had ordered my truck, I would have added it, but the function of the aftermarket hitches is the same. In 5 years when the hitch is rusty as hell (they all seem to rust before the vehicles do), it'll be a lot easier to swap out than the factory one would be.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
The biggest problem with using the hole in the bumper is that it is way too high for most trailers. I have the drawtite hitch for my truck, which is a little lower than even the factory hitch below the bumper, and I still need to use a dropped ball mount for every trailer I've encountered.

My truck didn't come with the tow package. I never considered adding the factory pieces because it involves trading out too many things with no real end benefit. The factory hitch is cleaner and if I had ordered my truck, I would have added it, but the function of the aftermarket hitches is the same. In 5 years when the hitch is rusty as hell (they all seem to rust before the vehicles do), it'll be a lot easier to swap out than the factory one would be.
It is also a capacity thing I believe. 3500lbs for the bumper ball mount, 7500 for the receiver hitch setup.

Totally agree on the ball height as well.

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

NCRANGER

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What is gained by doing this? IT sounds like from what you are saying a person can tow with the non-tow bumper. My 2022 has a spot for the ball to be inserted through.

As already stated by Bill and Jed, the bumper hitch height is generally too high for any practical towing, and the capacity is limited to 3500 lbs, versus 7500 lbs for Drawtite or the factory hitch.

Additional benefits for the factory hitch are more ground clearance if you go off road, and there are also 3 attachment bolts on each side for the factory setup rather than 2 for the after market.

I also wanted the factory look for the tow hitch. The tow hitch accessory kit and the wiring harness gave me just that. Either approach (after market or factory) will work, just depends what you are looking for.

JeffB

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Muastang, Mazda 6
As already stated by Bill and Jed, the bumper hitch height is generally too high for any practical towing, and the capacity is limited to 3500 lbs, versus 7500 lbs for Drawtite or the factory hitch.

Additional benefits for the factory hitch are more ground clearance if you go off road, and there are also 3 attachment bolts on each side for the factory setup rather than 2 for the after market.

I also wanted the factory look for the tow hitch. The tow hitch accessory kit and the wiring harness gave me just that. Either approach (after market or factory) will work, just depends what you are looking for.
How much was all that? Where did you get it? Thanks!

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How much was all that? Where did you get it? Thanks!
Mostly at Etrailer The price of the drawtite hitch has doubled since I bought mine.. I paid $125 for the hitch and $60 for the wiring. I got the correct plug on Amazon.