char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
Hi everybody,

We are about to buy a new ranger FX4 super cab and are undecided about the tow package. Anybody have any input on rear departure angle and clearance with the factory tow package and if that gets in the way when off-roading? We are looking to use as a daily driver and to tow approximately 3600 pounds as well as moderate off-road use.

also any thoughts on the factory running boards? Do they protect the car or do they get in the way when off-roading? We don’t really need them and we’re thinking of just removing them but if they offer some protection will just keep them on, any thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The hitch isn't going to interfere with anything you can get the front over; it's a good 20 inches off the ground. The OEM steps are of the sort that if you whack them on a rock you run a risk of screwing up either the step or the side of the truck . If you don't care about them at all I'd look hard for a truck that doesn't come with them instead of adding $600 to the sticker and taking them off. If you want protection there are a number of aftermarket rock slider options.

Deleted member 1634

As another comment, you'll want/need the tow package if you want to tow 3600lbs. I believe a "bumper ball" setup is only rated to 3500lbs and I wouldn't do anything close to that. Also, the factory receiver setup is less obtrusive to departure angle than an aftermarket one. So in the end, if you want to do any towing, get the tow package. And as mentioned, it won't affect departure angle in any way that really matters.

The running boards will offer some protection for rocks thrown up. But if you're planning on doing the type of intense off-roading that it sounds like you will, then they'll get in the way and/or break during impact like previously mentioned. I plan on adding some to my truck, even though we too don't really need them, but just as added protection of the rocker panels against tire thrown rocks. There are a handful of people on here who have rock sliders or other off-roading protection mods that might be better suited for you guys.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Its a truck, get the tow package.
Besides, you have tow hooks in the front.
The hitch at the rear is convenient attachment point to extract the truck if you get too far off road and need to pull it out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
Thank you for the replies! We will get the tow package. It seems like running boards come on all of the trucks we are looking at and there don't seem to be too many options period for supercabs even available. Wonder if we could sell them and the tonneau cover which we also won't be needing since we'll get a cap anyway...

RangerFropa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Get the tow package if you can. The OEM setup looks slicker and I imagine it has a higher clearance than any aftermarket. It can be added later, but you'll probably have a difficult time finding the parts (mainly the hitch). It is a bit of a PITA to install, too (albeit not difficult).

The OEM running boards are generally cheaper if purchased separately. If you buy a truck and don't want them, I've seen a few sold of this forum's marketplace.

Deleted member 1634

Thank you for the replies! We will get the tow package. It seems like running boards come on all of the trucks we are looking at and there don't seem to be too many options period for supercabs even available. Wonder if we could sell them and the tonneau cover which we also won't be needing since we'll get a cap anyway...
You could see if you can convince the dealer the take the running boards and tonneau cover off before the delivery and put in their accessories inventory. I doubt they'll want to do that, but it'd be worth asking.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It's tough because dealers like the extra $$$ for accessories. That's why I ordered my supercab just the way I wanted it. :) You can probably find exactly what you want, but it's unlikely to just be sitting on a lot at any given dealer so it will take some work. It might be that they offer enough incentives to take something other than exactly what you want, but make sure you figure that into the equation and don't just get distracted by a good price on a truck that's not exactly what you want unless it's a really good price.

Selling take-offs might not be easy exactly because so many dealer stock trucks got ordered with them.

meistreguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
I would get trailer wiring done at the dealer but the receiver hitch is easy enough to do yourself, I paid a little over 100 for my Draw-Tite. Also the same with running boards, I paid about 200 for mine but they can be a lot more expensive depending. I would leave them at the dealer to save money. Happy trails!

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I've never had running boards or sliders on any of my trucks, my trucks are off-road on a regular basis, and I've never wished I had either. If you are in a situation where you think you might truly need that sort of side protection on a daily driver that is a great time to to stop and rethink what you're doing.

Not sure if you plan on getting the FX4 package but features like 'trail control' are something you might get some use out of while off-road. I always said I'd never use that sort of nanny gear but I've tried it and it is pretty legit...I use it on hilly/rocky trails to avoid stabbing the gas and jerking around but it also seems to perform great elsewhere too.

I always grab the tow package on a truck, saves a lot of hasle and can't hurt for resale too. Same deal for the FX4 package in my opinion.

Good luck with your purchase!

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
It seems like running boards come on all of the trucks we are looking at and there don't seem to be too many options period for supercabs even available. Wonder if we could sell them and the tonneau cover which we also won't be needing since we'll get a cap anyway...

Negotiate the running boards and tonneau cover off of the vehicle, off of the deal. Just because it comes with them, doesnt mean they have to sell them to you. The dealeship can always put them on another vehicle. The running boards are mounted with 6 bolts on each side. Takes 15 minutes to take them off, including time to unroll and then roll up the extension cord for an electric impact, if they do not use a battery powered impact.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
You could see if you can convince the dealer the take the running boards and tonneau cover off before the delivery and put in their accessories inventory. I doubt they'll want to do that, but it'd be worth asking.
Negotiate the running boards and tonneau cover off of the vehicle, off of the deal.
I could be wrong on this, but I don't think dealers are allowed to remove factory-installed accessories.

Nonetheless, you might be able to get the dealer to knock another $400 off the deal by pointing out that it has a $600 accessory that you don't want, and then immediately remove that accessory yourself and sell it for $300.

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
Hi again everyone. Many thanks again for all the comments. I've tried at 2 different dealerships to ask to remove the included running boards and the one tonneau but they both independently said that since they are bringing them from another dealership for me as a trade, they cant remove any parts or drop the price any further. Best they can do is buy back but for less $$ vs what they are selling. Not as big of a deal for me sine I am hoping to grab what seems to be a rather rare already built truck. Can't build and order 100% factory new since Covid has stopped all production and I'm hoping to get something before my next road gig where i'll be sleeping in the bed with a cap on so I am limited to whatever is on dealer lots in the region.

Anyhow, I'm 100% set on the Ranger after test driving a Tacoma today. What a difference! I don't know whats going on with Toyota but Ranger felt so much better off the line, tranny wise, and comfort in the seats while driving. I'm not even going to bother with Colorado. I'm hoping the 2020 LXT FX4 supercab with tow package is still available to buy at my local dealer (someone else from the originating lot is apparently also interested so they had to take a deposit from and will let me know) Fingers crossed!

Thanks again everyone!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Hi again everyone. Many thanks again for all the comments. I've tried at 2 different dealerships to ask to remove the included running boards and the one tonneau but they both independently said that since they are bringing them from another dealership for me as a trade, they cant remove any parts or drop the price any further. Best they can do is buy back but for less $$ vs what they are selling. Not as big of a deal for me sine I am hoping to grab what seems to be a rather rare already built truck. Can't build and order 100% factory new since Covid has stopped all production and I'm hoping to get something before my next road gig where i'll be sleeping in the bed with a cap on so I am limited to whatever is on dealer lots in the region.

Anyhow, I'm 100% set on the Ranger after test driving a Tacoma today. What a difference! I don't know whats going on with Toyota but Ranger felt so much better off the line, tranny wise, and comfort in the seats while driving. I'm not even going to bother with Colorado. I'm hoping the 2020 LXT FX4 supercab with tow package is still available to buy at my local dealer (someone else from the originating lot is apparently also interested so they had to take a deposit from and will let me know) Fingers crossed!

Thanks again everyone!
Most dealerships won't just take equipment or accessories off for nothing. My dealership is included on that. With the tow package clearance is no problem at all. I dont have the FX4 and it does just fine. I just wish I had the rear locker as I have already gotten stuck once......

Also to add I have talked to a few people that came from Tacoma and Colorado/Canyon and they all said there was no comparison. I myself came put of a Nissan Frontier. I loved the Frontier foe the fact that it was mechanic friendly and pretty reliable. The only complaints I had was wanting better fuel mileage and that the turning radius sucked. I got those improvements qhen I went to the Ranger. The only big draw back I see it the oil filter location. In my opinion it was the only thing that let the engineers keep thier job lol.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The only big draw back I see it the oil filter location. In my opinion it was the only thing that let the engineers keep thier job lol.
That is an interesting comment. When it was first announced that you had to remove the drivers wheel to get to the oil filter (note: you don't) I was a bit nervous, but after doing my first oil change, I actually really like where the oil filter is. Don't need to remove the wheel and it is actually very accessible. I can't say it is the MOST accessible oil filter I've ever had, but it is right up there.
Sponsored