Tow package? About to buy Ranger - please help

Lukaranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT Sport
In my opinion the factory standard running boards are probably suited for short people only. And I`ve found it the exact same in the Colorado/Canyon....the issue is the truck is not that high so the running boards make it awkward getting in and out, they almost seem like the get in the way.
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

In my opinion the factory standard running boards are probably suited for short people only. And I`ve found it the exact same in the Colorado/Canyon....the issue is the truck is not that high so the running boards make it awkward getting in and out, they almost seem like the get in the way.
That may be true. But for us, they'll hopefully come in handy for 1) protection for the rocker panels from thrown rocks, 2) help the dogs get into the backseat when they're tired and get old, and 3) help us get better access to putting things in the roof. I think those benefits will outweigh the getting in the way aspect. Hopefully at least. haha

Lukaranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT Sport
That may be true. But for us, they'll hopefully come in handy for 1) protection for the rocker panels from thrown rocks, 2) help the dogs get into the backseat when they're tired and get old, and 3) help us get better access to putting things in the roof. I think those benefits will outweigh the getting in the way aspect. Hopefully at least. haha
To be honest, even my dog does not like using them, lol. But your right, they could serve a purpose other then getting in and out.

David Rice

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Hi everybody,

We are about to buy a new ranger FX4 super cab and are undecided about the tow package. Anybody have any input on rear departure angle and clearance with the factory tow package and if that gets in the way when off-roading? We are looking to use as a daily driver and to tow approximately 3600 pounds as well as moderate off-road use.

also any thoughts on the factory running boards? Do they protect the car or do they get in the way when off-roading? We don’t really need them and we’re thinking of just removing them but if they offer some protection will just keep them on, any thoughts?
Running boards are ok,, if your short, that step up to the cab can be a big step. I ordered my truck without running boards, then my wife made me get them after she made her maiden step into the cab. I bought the OEM boards from the dealer,, and he gave me a deal. A lot cheaper than the factory installed boards. Plus they are very easy to put on yourself. As far as a hitch,, I like mine and that truck pulls 8000lbs without any issues. Love it!

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
Hi again everyone.
Here's pics of my new baby! Thank you again for all of your comments. Very helpful. I ended up with a new 2019 XL supercab with FX4, tow package, BLIS, 302A. Selling the running boards and soft tonneau that came with it on this forum if anybody is interested. Thank you again!❤
IMG-6254.jpg

IMG-6255.jpg

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Hi again everyone.
Here's pics of my new baby! Thank you again for all of your comments. Very helpful. I ended up with a new 2019 supercab with FX4, tow package, BLIS, 302A. Selling the running boards and soft tonneau that came with it on this forum if anybody is interested. Thank you again!❤
IMG-6254.jpg

IMG-6255.jpg
Nice, and I have some interest in the tonneau cove if it's the low profile one

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
Nice, and I have some interest in the tonneau cove if it's the low profile one
Hey hey. Not sure which specific one you're looking at but its the folding soft one that comes factory...

Screenshot 2020-05-06 12.45.04.png

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Hey hey. Not sure which specific one you're looking at but its the folding soft one that comes factory...

Screenshot 2020-05-06 12.45.04.png
To make it easier for you to low profile one sits very near flush with a sides of the bed. Other ones sit just a little bit higher about a half an inch or so.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi again everyone.
Here's pics of my new baby! Thank you again for all of your comments. Very helpful. I ended up with a new 2019 XL supercab with FX4, tow package, BLIS, 302A. Selling the running boards and soft tonneau that came with it on this forum if anybody is interested. Thank you again!❤
IMG-6254.jpg

IMG-6255.jpg
Very nice! Yo're going to love it! (You probably love it already!)

WaltKNJ

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew
Occupation
Tractor trailer driver
Hi everybody,

We are about to buy a new ranger FX4 super cab and are undecided about the tow package. Anybody have any input on rear departure angle and clearance with the factory tow package and if that gets in the way when off-roading? We are looking to use as a daily driver and to tow approximately 3600 pounds as well as moderate off-road use.

also any thoughts on the factory running boards? Do they protect the car or do they get in the way when off-roading? We don’t really need them and we’re thinking of just removing them but if they offer some protection will just keep them on, any thoughts?
If your trailer has brakes, you'll need a trailer brake controller.

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
To make it easier for you to low profile one sits very near flush with a sides of the bed. Other ones sit just a little bit higher about a half an inch or so.
sorry i missed this post earlier. it must be the non-low profile one. it sits with its top surface about an inch and a half above the bed rails.

its still available. likely will end up selling for almost nothing to the dealer. if anyone wants to drive to eastern south dakota, it will be yours for cheap.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
AMP Research

Sponsored