RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
It kind of sounds like it might be related to XL "calculator" screen (as some have called it) - I wonder if that screen is somehow more sensitive to heat than the XLT/Lariat screens?

Des everyone having the issue have an XL? I've never seen any of my screens blank.
Sponsored

mrodgers

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger STX
It kind of sounds like it might be related to XL "calculator" screen (as some have called it) - I wonder if that screen is somehow more sensitive to heat than the XLT/Lariat screens?

Des everyone having the issue have an XL? I've never seen any of my screens blank.
I have my new Ranger XL since March and during the recent heat wave were having in Virginia I have experienced the Dash Information screen dim/faded until the car cools down. What I observed today was got in after work, dash thermometer showed 103 degrees, display was normal. As I was driving out of the parking lot the display dimmed/faded down, after 15min of driving with the a/c on the display returned to normal, the temp was 97 degrees.

I think it is heat related either a harness or the power source to the display is being affected. If the LCD was failing it would not recover, once heat damaged they usually stay affected so the next part is the power supply or input source that is heat sensitive.

Just my 2 cents but has anyone brought this up to the dealership yet?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I have my new Ranger XL since March and during the recent heat wave were having in Virginia I have experienced the Dash Information screen dim/faded until the car cools down. What I observed today was got in after work, dash thermometer showed 103 degrees, display was normal. As I was driving out of the parking lot the display dimmed/faded down, after 15min of driving with the a/c on the display returned to normal, the temp was 97 degrees.

I think it is heat related either a harness or the power source to the display is being affected. If the LCD was failing it would not recover, once heat damaged they usually stay affected so the next part is the power supply or input source that is heat sensitive.

Just my 2 cents but has anyone brought this up to the dealership yet?

Well if it was//is heat related then mine should be a melted piece of plastic by now. lol. On average it's 108 this time of year and a few weeks ago it was 117 and mines never had any issues. Also factor in my garage temps are another 10+ degrees hotter and when I'm at work my truck sits and bakes in the sun all day long. Maybe a bad batch of XL/XLT gauges?

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I have the same issue with mine and I am fairly certain it has to do with the heat. I live in Arizona and it gets really hot here. Every day when I leave work my center screen doesn't work at all. By the time I get home, it has cooled down with the AC on and the screen starts working like normal again.

I had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday in my XL STX, my truck is Shadow Black. It was sitting in the driveway all day in direct sun and I got in to go somewhere around 3:00PM and the only part of the center info screen that was readable was the middle of it. After about 10 minutes with the AC on, the screen came back on.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I had a black screen on startup today. First time it happened. My music started playing from my USB drive then quit and a black screen. It seemed to happen right about the time the screen usually tells me my phone has paired with bluetooth. I had to restart my truck then it worked fine. The age old fix for a lot of computer issues, turn it off and back on again. :)

I made a few more stops while out and about and it didn't repeat.

Edit: Oh, I misunderstood the original post. It wasn't my info screen by the speedometer, it was my sync screen.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
No problems with my screen in this heat. ? Truck was sitting outside at work since 6:00am and this was the actual temp after driving for 10 minutes.

IMG_2648.jpg

12Few

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Occupation
Mechanic

A

I, too am having my dash cluster LCD "black out." I do have an XL, and it does seem to be heat related......
Only happens when cabin temps are above 140*.
My 2020 Ranger XL is at the dealer, right now, for their 2nd attempt to fix. It appears they are gonna try to wait out the Phoenix summer, and hope for a new start next July.
As a moderator, any way you could move these Sync screen reports to a different thread? This is about dash clusters.

20200827_171044.jpg

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A

I, too am having my dash cluster LCD "black out." I do have an XL, and it does seem to be heat related......
Only happens when cabin temps are above 140*.
My 2020 Ranger XL is at the dealer, right now, for their 2nd attempt to fix. It appears they are gonna try to wait out the Phoenix summer, and hope for a new start next July.
As a moderator, any way you could move these Sync screen reports to a different thread? This is about dash clusters.

20200827_171044.jpg
This whole thread is about what you describe, so I'm not sure why you think it should be moved. Are you thinking it is in the wrong forum?

VegasP11

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
This whole thread is about what you describe, so I'm not sure why you think it should be moved. Are you thinking it is in the wrong forum?
I believe what he is asking is that all replies in this thread that are from people saying their Lariat SYNC screen does not have this issue be moved to it's own thread. This issue with the center dash display on non-Lariat trucks and people keep saying they don't have this problem with a Lariat SYNC display. The two are not related at all.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
No problems with my screen in this heat. ? Truck was sitting outside at work since 6:00am and this was the actual temp after driving for 10 minutes.

IMG_2648.jpg
I'm thinking you might not be having a problem because your screen between the gauges is different than the screen they have. They have the XL package monochromatic LCD screen between their gauges where as yours is going to be the color LCD screen.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I believe what he is asking is that all replies in this thread that are from people saying their Lariat SYNC screen does not have this issue be moved to it's own thread. This issue with the center dash display on non-Lariat trucks and people keep saying they don't have this problem with a Lariat SYNC display. The two are not related at all.
I'm not sure what good that would do - it doesn't seem to make sense to create a thread about something that doesn't exist. What would be the topic of a thread with people with Lariat displays saying "mine doesn't do this"? Maybe I'm just being dense. All the smoke from the fires around here might be messing with my brain.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm thinking you might not be having a problem because your screen between the gauges is different than the screen they have. They have the XL package monochromatic LCD screen between their gauges where as yours is going to be the color LCD screen.
I guess it possible but there are many areas of the country where it get really hot. Between CA,UT,AZ,TX, and basically the whole lower east coast it gets pretty toasty in the summers. You'd think that if there was a massive problem Ford would've redesigned these mid 2019?

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I guess it possible but there are many areas of the country where it get really hot. Between CA,UT,AZ,TX, and basically the whole lower east coast it gets pretty toasty in the summers. You'd think that if there was a massive problem Ford would've redesigned these mid 2019?
Car companies have let massive mistakes slide in the past. LOL *Cough, cough, Chevy ignitions*
Sponsored