Information screen not working

dbrow1982

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL Ford Ranger
I have a 2019 STX with just over 1k miles and yesterday when I got off work I got in the truck and turned it on and the small blue info screen on the dash was just black. I Couldn't see anything. I got home and turned it off and let it sit for a while and when I got back in later and started it, it came on and looked completely normal. The truck had been sitting in the hot sun all day (it was 94 yesterday). Could the heat have messed with it? Or has anyone else had this happen??
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I have a 2019 STX with just over 1k miles and yesterday when I got off work I got in the truck and turned it on and the small blue info screen on the dash was just black. I Couldn't see anything. I got home and turned it off and let it sit for a while and when I got back in later and started it, it came on and looked completely normal. The truck had been sitting in the hot sun all day (it was 94 yesterday). Could the heat have messed with it? Or has anyone else had this happen??
Check to see which version of Sync you have. There were a few others having the same problem with the older version 3.3. Make sure you have automatic updates on and your truck is connected to your homes wifi that way it will automatically update.

As far as the heat I doubt it. It was 110 here yesterday (116 for the weekend) and my truck was outside at work all day and I never had any issues. 94 is like a cold front here in the summers! ?

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/sync-3-frozen-screen.3341/#post-122859

OP
OP

dbrow1982

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL Ford Ranger
I'll take a look at that. Thanks!

OP
OP

dbrow1982

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL Ford Ranger
Also im talking about the screen behind the steering wheel that has all the tire pressure, fuel mileage and all that stuff. Sync shouldn't have anything to do with that right?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Also im talking about the screen behind the steering wheel that has all the tire pressure, fuel mileage and all that stuff. Sync shouldn't have anything to do with that right?
Sorry It's still early here and I missed that part. :headbang: I think Sync only controls the main touch screen.

OP
OP

dbrow1982

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL Ford Ranger
It's all good. That's what I thought but wanted to make sure.

Arc Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL SuperCrew with STX package
Vehicle Showcase
I've got an STX as well. I've had intermittent issues with the radio screen staying in backup camera mode even after I put it in drive and start driving down the road. Kinda weird seeing the pavement fly away from you on the screen. Then after that it freezes up and the screen turns blue and I can't adjust anything. But now I realize that you are talking about the display on the dashboard... and no I haven't had any issues with that.

OP
OP

dbrow1982

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL Ford Ranger
Gotcha. Ill keep an eye out for stuff like that. My radio and backup camera seem to have had no issues yet that ive noticed. I kinda wish I could leave the camera on all the time lol

Dash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
I have the same issue with mine and I am fairly certain it has to do with the heat. I live in Arizona and it gets really hot here. Every day when I leave work my center screen doesn't work at all. By the time I get home, it has cooled down with the AC on and the screen starts working like normal again.

OP
OP

dbrow1982

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL Ford Ranger
I have the same issue with mine and I am fairly certain it has to do with the heat. I live in Arizona and it gets really hot here. Every day when I leave work my center screen doesn't work at all. By the time I get home, it has cooled down with the AC on and the screen starts working like normal again.
Well I guess that explains it then. Thanks for the reply. At least I know its not just me haha.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I've got an STX as well. I've had intermittent issues with the radio screen staying in backup camera mode even after I put it in drive and start driving down the road. Kinda weird seeing the pavement fly away from you on the screen. Then after that it freezes up and the screen turns blue and I can't adjust anything. But now I realize that you are talking about the display on the dashboard... and no I haven't had any issues with that.
Check your vehicle settings in the driver info display (in the instrument cluster, not the big center display). There is a setting to keep the camera on going forward up to ~4mph. you can switch it back so it only shows when in reverse if you want.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The heat has nothing to do with it. I've had mine for almost a year now and have NEVER had any issues from the heat and my truck sits in direct sun all day while at work in this 110 heat. There are many other members who live here and also NV, TX,UT and CA where it gets just as hot without issues.

With everything being electronic and all the onboard computers it's probably a glitch or a faulty wire harness which others have had. The OP said it was only 94 out that day, heck that's out morning lows. lol

Arc Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL SuperCrew with STX package
Vehicle Showcase
Check your vehicle settings in the driver info display (in the instrument cluster, not the big center display). There is a setting to keep the camera on going forward up to ~4mph. you can switch it back so it only shows when in reverse if you want.
I will check this setting, however, it normally switches back to the radio as soon as I put it in drive. It only does this once in awhile and then the radio freezes up, so I don't think it has to do with the current setting.

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Just found this thread,and my now 1 month old XL has done the same thing twice randomly.
First time I started and drove the truck it fired up just fine.Went into a ups store and dropped a package,not inside maybe 5 minutes tops,and upon starting the truck,the screen was blank.... Drove home 10 minutes parked it and walked away.
Had to go to work later,and it came right up like normal.

2 days later got in the truck to download my factory tune file for Livernois,and it was normal.Finished the download and figured I’d start it and recharge the battery a bit since it was a 25 minute process to download,and low and behold the screen was blank.....Again,said f-it gotta go to work later,see what happens then,and sure enough,it was fine.

Been very random thus far,more like a boot issue than a screen issue.Hate software issues in new vehicles,so hard to duplicate,and get sorted by a dealer....

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I had a similar thing happen in my XL a week or so ago. I was driving to work and suddenly that screen went dim ( not quite blank, but dim enough that i couldn't read anything unless i leaned to the side do was viewing the screen at an angle.) When I got to work, i parked, shut off the truck for a few seconds, then immediately restarted and it was normal.

Only happened that once. It was hot out, but since it happened suddenly midway through the drive, I don't think the heat was the cause.
Sponsored