Incandescent Bulbs to LED Swap: Is it worth it?

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I am a lowly STX owner with regular headlights. I look at it this way....couple months ago a low beam burnt out just before state inspection. I got a new bulb at Walmart for $14.
I enabled Bambi Mode on Forscan. I'm good. Some day if I'm feeling spendy I'll get Silverstars.

LB'sTremor

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Iconic Lariat Tremor
Occupation
IT
FYI: I needed a new puddle light (don't ask) on the driver side. Thought I had bought after market set, but they did not fit. Went to the local Ford dealer expecting the non-LED of the original 2019 Ranger but to my surprise, the replacement Ford OEM lights are LED! Dealer said he had noticed that just lately the replacements had switch to LED.
No need for after market.
Thx for the part #! are they substantially brighter? The aftermarket one's seen to have reviews they don't last much more than 1 year.

LB

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
Thx for the part #! are they substantially brighter? The aftermarket one's seen to have reviews they don't last much more than 1 year.

LB
The Ford LED version are brighter than the incandescent version. Not dramatically but definitely brighter. I have LED bulbs on my other cars that never had LED from the OEM and they have lasted just fine. Quality of the LED maker I would imagine is the overall controlling factor... environment (heat, humidity, cold (any of those in the extreme)) will also influence longevity.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I am a lowly STX owner with regular headlights. I look at it this way....couple months ago a low beam burnt out just before state inspection. I got a new bulb at Walmart for $14.
I enabled Bambi Mode on Forscan. I'm good. Some day if I'm feeling spendy I'll get Silverstars.
If you do, just plan on replacing them a LOT more frequently. They certainly are brighter, but they burn out quickly - at least in my experience. I bought a few sets for the Honda Accord I bought from my mom, and went thru 3 sets of them before I decide to go back to "regular" brightness.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Okay, this could very well be titled "Help me spend some money," but I legitimately want to know your thoughts on which of the incandescent bulbs on our Rangers are worth swapping out for LEDs? I am not talking about headlights or fog lights since there are dozens of threads on these.

Here are some of my thoughts.

Worth swapping:
Any bulb where you really want to maximize brightness to see better or be seen better.
Examples: Tail lights, Brake lights, Cargo Lights, Back Up Lights, Puddle Lights, 3rd Brake Light

On the fence:
Turn signals (the whole hyper flash issue, and who uses them anyway, right? ;)), License Plate Lights (do we really want to make it easier for cops to see your tag?), Side marker lights (?‍♂)

Any others that I am missing?
I swapped markers and mirror signals, mostly because the smoked black lenses look so much better, especially on a black truck.

Puddle lights, I just need enough light to see if there is a puddle or not, so I didn't bother upgrading those.

I'm with you on license plate lights, making them brighter can only help cops while I'm fleeing ;)

Reverse lights, I left factory, but added a set of Rigid Radiance Scene lights in the bumper. They'll get wired over the next few days, but expecting a noticeable improvement.

Cargo lights were pretty crappy, and IMO look terrible on my almost completely black truck. I was going to tint them to take some of the white glare away, but dropped it while it was out and fkd up one of the boards. Dealer replacement cost was almost $500, so I plasti-dipped the white cargo lights, and put it back in. 3rd brake light still works, and the whole thing looks great now.

I moved my Putco tailgate lightbar from under the tailgate, and installed it on the back of my roof rack. I ran the white reverse light in the Putco to my Spod so I can use that as my cargo light. I also ran the red 'running' light to my Spod, so it's not on unless I turn it on. I don't really need it to be seen most of the time, but can add it in fog, snow or rain for added visibility. The brake lights and signals on the Putco are hooked up and function with the truck brake/signals. I find they are much more noticeable set up this way, without a constant running light.
Sponsored

Last edited: