rangerdanger

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply.

I see your from San Francisco... do you do a lot of engine braking?
Yes there are steep uphills/downhills where I live, but engine braking can't cause this with only 26k total miles.
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Yes there are steep uphills/downhills where I live, but engine braking can't cause this with only 26k total miles.
Not saying that's it at all.. just curious. This is the first automatic transmission I've ever owned where engine braking is advertised as a feature. And it's a great feature, especially here in the Rocky Mountains.

I just keep hearing Mr. Renner, the guru of transmissions from my youth, who always said "Never, ever, downshift an automatic to slow down the vehicle." But that was many many moons ago on old technology 3 speed automatics.

FordSpeed

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4 Supercrew
I just keep hearing Mr. Renner, the guru of transmissions from my youth, who always said "Never, ever, downshift an automatic to slow down the vehicle." But that was many many moons ago on old technology 3 speed automatics.
Must not apply any more. My 2013 F-150 I had before the Ranger would downshift in Tow/Haul mode to help slow the truck down when towing. Sometimes two gears and get the RPM in the 4K+ range. That 6 speed was much smoother than the 10 speed that came with the Ranger though. This 10 speed is slow to downshift and will make the engine lug before it realizes it needs to shift.

I hope they get your truck fixed up quick!

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Admitting there is a problem is the first step to healing..its an AA motto but seems fitting with oem issues too!

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
Not saying that's it at all.. just curious. This is the first automatic transmission I've ever owned where engine braking is advertised as a feature. And it's a great feature, especially here in the Rocky Mountains.

I would imagine that the concerns of over-revving the engine could come into play. The Ranger downshifts itself particularly when towing. Personally, I just let the computers do the work as it’ll downshift when it needs to.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I would imagine that the concerns of over-revving the engine could come into play. The Ranger downshifts itself particularly when towing. Personally, I just let the computers do the work as it’ll downshift when it needs to.
To add to this, you can't physically do anything with the trans beside put it in Park. Everything else has built in protections that it just won't go into gears where it's dangerous for the trans or engine.

The exception is it WILL go into park no matter what you're doing with it.

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
To add to this, you can't physically do anything with the trans beside put it in Park. Everything else has built in protections that it just won't go into gears where it's dangerous for the trans or engine.

The exception is it WILL go into park no matter what you're doing with it.
BTW, had my valve body/solenoids replaced at 2200 miles. I’m hoping that was a fluke. I love the truck but I’ll be honest, I’m gonna be a little on edge until I get past 10K.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond

With the Cruise on, it will downshift on its own if the speed creeps up too high during decent.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
With the Cruise on, it will downshift on its own if the speed creeps up too high during decent.
Believe me... my Ranger knows this. We live in Colorado, central Colorado. I use cruise control all the time, and love the engine braking feature.

But I'm also nervous as hell in regard to transmission longevity.

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
Believe me... my Ranger knows this. We live in Colorado, central Colorado. I use cruise control all the time, and love the engine braking feature.

But I'm also nervous as hell in regard to transmission longevity.
I am too. I also have Ford premium extended warranty with zero deductible for the next six years or up to 100K. I’m optimistic now after the repair but am hedging my bets.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
OP
OP
rangerdanger

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
rangerdanger

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Update #3, I'm getting a new whole new Tranmission, that will arrive next week and take 2 business days to install.

OP
OP
rangerdanger

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
did they say what it was that made them replace it vs repair?
No idea but if Ford Corporate approved it then it must have been serious.
Sponsored