If you are Modding up the 2.3 engine... THIS might be the oil to use.

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
Took the 2020 HPP Mustang with 2.3 + 30 more HP into it's first oil change @ 2000 miles. Expecting to see it had ranger 5-30 oil in it only to find out it was 5-50 Motorcraft Synthetic for High Horse power and track use motor as this one is... So if modding your engine this might be the oil to use.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Last i checked Ford recommends 5w30 so I will keep using 5w30. If you are going far out of manufacturers specifications and building a race vehicle then it will be a different story. I'm sure @P. A. Schilke can elaborate more on this.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Last i checked Ford recommends 5w30 so I will keep using 5w30. If you are going far out of manufacturers specifications and building a race vehicle then it will be a different story. I'm sure @P. A. Schilke can elaborate more on this.
Hi Chris,

I can add that the oil used for or durability testing is the oil listed in the owner's manual. If there is an extreme duty oil listed, it will also have been tested, but likely mostly a dyno simulation of the extreme duty events. Ford does recommend a different oil for cold climate, 0W-30 which has a different specification I recommend like you that you use the oil specified that meets the Ford specs or exceeds them. Not sure what is in the Mustang owner's manual, but the motor is in an entirely different animal than Ranger.

The owner's manual also has this:

If you do not use oil and fluid that meets
the defined specification and viscosity
grade, it could result in:
• Component damage not covered by
the vehicle warranty.
• Longer engine cranking periods.
• Increased emission levels.
• Reduced engine performance.
• Reduced fuel economy.
• Reduced brake performance.
Sponsored