Vacuum pump to extract their engine oil?

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I just purchased an extractor after wrenching for 20+ years, and i agree it makes life easier. No getting on a cold and/or oiley floor. I even purchased the one that lets you use compressed air, i just flip the air valve open and come back when i hear a burping sound in the garage(when all the oil is out and its sucking up air pockets).

I have used it with other cars for CVT drains in systems with no drain plugs, and to suck out old fuel from a fuel tank. It makes me happy whenever i can find a new use for it for something that was previously not possible to drain or a PITA to drain.

I couldnt tell you if extraction or draining is better but i know the extraction is far simpler.
Sponsored

Reactions: SFB

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Draining is as good as a vacuum. You will never get all the oil out unless you disassemble the engine, residue and pockets everywhere. When you buy your new vehicle you are relying on the filter to capture all the manufacturing and assembly process leftovers. In my opinion I don't see the advantage of one over the other. We all have our favorite methods and draining is mine. One added question, what is the reason for replacing the drain plug? I have seen some do it stating it's required in the manual. I have not read it and I am changing my oil this weekend. Thanks all, I enjoy reading all the discussions here.
The drain plug is steel and reusable. There is a lot of discussion on this on the forum. I have an extra one in case I loose the original. lol

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
i just hate trying to get rid of used oil.
people get pissy when you let it run down the driveway into the storm sewers.
flushing it down the toilet leaves a terrible ring that needs to be scrubbed over and over.
burning it makes a dark cloud linger in the neighborhood for hours
Take it to your local Pep Boys.

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
I bought a little electric oil pump for the Tcase and Axles, but not engine oil.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Draining as good as extracting.

But you do not see the advantages of extraction? Really?

I will name them.

1. No jack.
2. No jack stands.
3. No drain plug removal.
4. Extraction faster.
5. Extraction safer.
6. Extractions costs less over time.
7. An 80 year old can do extraction, could teach a 10 year old also. So broad range of people can use.
8. People who rent, own houses and even those who are homeless could change oil with extractor.
So compare your list to draining the oil on my 2019 Ranger...

1] No jack
2]No jack stands
3]Simple drain plug removal with easy access.
4], 5], 6] I challenge these claims on their merits
7] righty tighty, lefty loosey
8] Yeah, every homeless person carries an extractor around with them, because their main concern is clean engine oil and not their next meal or shower. (Sorry that one is just silly)

Of course most of the actual work involves changing the filter and it just won't fit up the straw.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Nothing at all wrong with extractors. Ever own a boat with one or more inboard engines? Large skid-mounted diesel generator? Extractor! 20+ gallons of used diesel oil? Extractor on wheels! The service guys suck out the old oil, and pump in the new.

I try to avoid changing oil during the winter, because crawling around on the concrete floor in freezing temperatures is zero fun. If I had no choice, an extractor would be a very attractive option. The absurd inconvenience of changing the Ranger oil filter is also a problem worth solving for the same reason. I would like to see an adapter that relocates the filter to a sane location, high in the engine bay, or at least an accessible spot between the frame rails. The top-mounted BMW cartridge filters are just right.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing at all wrong with extractors. Ever own a boat with one or more inboard engines? Large skid-mounted diesel generator? Extractor! 20+ gallons of used diesel oil? Extractor on wheels! The service guys suck out the old oil, and pump in the new.

I try to avoid changing oil during the winter, because crawling around on the concrete floor in freezing temperatures is zero fun. If I had no choice, an extractor would be a very attractive option. The absurd inconvenience of changing the Ranger oil filter is also a problem worth solving for the same reason. I would like to see an adapter that relocates the filter to a sane location, high in the engine bay, or at least an accessible spot between the frame rails. The top-mounted BMW cartridge filters are just right.
For the oil filter.....
The problem is that flimsy cover in the wheelwell and the inconvenient fasteners.
I'm considering making a cover with real snaps and a stiffer material.
Once the cover is off, the filter is a piece of cake.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
So compare your list to draining the oil on my 2019 Ranger...

1] No jack
2]No jack stands
3]Simple drain plug removal with easy access.
4], 5], 6] I challenge these claims on their merits
7] righty tighty, lefty loosey
8] Yeah, every homeless person carries an extractor around with them, because their main concern is clean engine oil and not their next meal or shower. (Sorry that one is just silly)

Of course most of the actual work involves changing the filter and it just won't fit up the straw.
Based on risk management, any time you get under the vehicle, jacked or not involves more risk than standing next to it. Back strain getting up, hitting head etc.

But if you need to win, be my guest.
The option is for each owner to pick
I feel a combination is best. On tuned vehicles one often changes oil more often. So every other can be extraction. Efficient.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
No way extraction is as good as removing the oil drain plug, in our 2.3L Ranger application

Removing the drain plug allows the bulk of metal particles and other particulates to be flushed out with the waste oil. Sucking the oil up out of the oil pan won't do that except for right were the hose is.

And you can't remove as much fluid with an extractor, as you can by removing the drain plug. You could if the motor was designed to have the oil extracted.... but our 2.3 Rangers aren't.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Based on risk management, any time you get under the vehicle, jacked or not involves more risk than standing next to it. Back strain getting up, hitting head etc.

But if you need to win, be my guest.
The option is for each owner to pick
I feel a combination is best. On tuned vehicles one often changes oil more often. So every other can be extraction. Efficient.
I don't need to win, but I feel entitled to an opinion and I think that there is a need to get under a vehicle to inspect it at least at oil change time.

Done right. you should get enough oil out for an oil change with an extractor.
I have known plenty who change their filter every other change.

I change mine every time, and do at least a cursory inspection every time.
With 5000 mile intervals you might get away with crawling under every other change,
and probably be fine
At my age I might just be safer laying on the ground on purpose than taking an unexpected fall from a standing position :wink: :giggle:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
igo.i have to agree with John on this one. The ranger is not designed for oil extraction. If it were then there would be a bunch of people that wouldnt buy it because they would be forced to take it to a dealership or a shop that does oil extraction on a regular basis.... And honestly I have yet to be at a shop that has done an oil extraction for an oil change. Also my dad tought me and my brothers the rules of "righty tighty lefty Loosey" at a young age. If we were able to be tought that I think anyone else can do that too(as long as they are mechanically inclined that is). Also a simple trick to the drain plug for those worried about stripping it....... Run it back in by HAND and the tighten it. When tightening the plug go for snug. You dont want to hold the truck together with that but you dont want to have it come loose either.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
igo.i have to agree with John on this one. The ranger is not designed for oil extraction. If it were then there would be a bunch of people that wouldnt buy it because they would be forced to take it to a dealership or a shop that does oil extraction on a regular basis.... And honestly I have yet to be at a shop that has done an oil extraction for an oil change. Also my dad tought me and my brothers the rules of "righty tighty lefty Loosey" at a young age. If we were able to be tought that I think anyone else can do that too(as long as they are mechanically inclined that is). Also a simple trick to the drain plug for those worried about stripping it....... Run it back in by HAND and the tighten it. When tightening the plug go for snug. You dont want to hold the truck together with that but you dont want to have it come loose either.
I always use a torque wrench... no worries.

Bigdmag

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
COTA/L
So I decided to try to use my extractor for my first oil change. But I wanted to see how much it actually got out, so after I extracted everything that it could I went ahead and pulled the drain plug. I got out another quart of oil. so in my opinion extracting is not very good because it leaves too much old oil. I've used the extractor on my wife's car and it only left about a quarter of a quart which I felt was okay, but it just doesn't get out enough oil in the ranger for some reason

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So I decided to try to use my extractor for my first oil change. But I wanted to see how much it actually got out, so after I extracted everything that it could I went ahead and pulled the drain plug. I got out another quart of oil. so in my opinion extracting is not very good because it leaves too much old oil. I've used the extractor on my wife's car and it only left about a quarter of a quart which I felt was okay, but it just doesn't get out enough oil in the ranger for some reason
I'm not sure what your wife's car is but the Ranger was not designed to have oil extracted but instead drained because of the drain plug.
Sponsored