I had my doubts about the engine, they are beginning to get confirmed

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
I'm not going to lie, even in my first post on this forum, I was going to be picking up the truck with a lot of skepticism about the engines. I bought the Ranger over the Tacoma primarily because the price was much much lower. The Toyota dealership in my area wanted $32,400 for a V6 Tacoma 4X2 with the small cab and 6 foot bed.I tried to haggle, compare, even brought quotes from Ford back, and they wouldn't budge on the price. Salesman literally said "I sell 4-5 of these per day." He wasn't lying, as in my area, it is well known that almost everyone buys new at the Toyota or Honda dealerships. On paper, the ranger offers everything that same Tacoma did, at a MUCH lower price (like, almost $7000 less). I fully expected a new gen truck to have issues, but I was mentally prepared for issues at 5,000- 10,000 miles and after, not during the first two weeks.
Yup, Toyota will not budge on price. I tried on two different occations and got nowhere plus the salepeople were a$$holes.

Ford will take care of any issues and you the customer.

I had three issues with my 2011 3.5 Ecoboost. None were engine related. After all were fixed I called Ford corporate and requested an extended warranty due to these issues. With no hesitation I had a 3 year extended warranty.

That's why I purchased another Ford truck.

I purchased my truck in less then 30 minutes on a Monday morning at the end of the month, This was with two trade-ins, one they didn't even see.
Sponsored

Tinsoldieroh

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had an'86, a '94, and an '05. Left with wife's jeep until the '19 arrives
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Alazar14, trust the fact that electronics suffer from "infant mortality" while mechanical parts suffer from "old age". I'm now on my fourth Ranger and my 2019 is a beast compared to the other three. Good luck it will get better.

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
The mechanics I trust tell me that cars have gotten more reliable over the years, but what has changed is that repair work has shifted from "it doesn't run" type work, to fixing things like broken power windows or door locks, or other things that don't affect the vehicle driving. I suppose sensors might fall into that category too since there are a LOT more sensors on new cars than ones from 20 years ago. But overall, cars are getting MORE reliable, not less. People are keeping their vehicles longer too since they are running longer with less issues.

The maintenance schedule for the Ranger for the first 100,000 miles is basically:
  • Change the oil every 10,000 miles
  • Change the cabin air filter every 20,000 miles
  • Change the engine air filter every 30,000 miles
At 100k you change the plugs and coolant.

That is pretty simple maintenance for 100,000 miles I think.

I'm sure whatever they find will be relatively simple - probably a bad sensor. As someone else said, typically electronics will either fail quickly or last quite a long time.
Yeah, it is. I think maybe I just got a bit unlucky. Hopefully this will be the last issue for a while. I know what the problem was now. Apparently some fuse blew out and caused a problem with the coolant transfer pump (no clue how the hell that would lead to a low oil pressure warning).

So yeah, I'm no mechanic, but I am not 100% sure if that is a major problem, or something rather minor.I pick up my truck in a few days (they had to order the part).

Will keep you all updated.

SchoolZoneSpeeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
The reason they got authorization for a diagnosis is because until they look at it they don't know if it is warranty. If there was a part failure it will definitely be covered, but you wouldn't believe how often there is rodent damage to wires causing a wire short or something silly like that.
If they spend hours tracking it down without authorization they are screwed if they find out it isnt warranty and the customer says "I ain't payin nuttin, Issa new caaaa".

Others are correct, although rare, any part can fail at any time. I've seen brand new engines fail.

It is likely a faulty sensor and they probably just were so busy they weren't able to have a guy look at it on Monday. I'm sure they will have you figured out and on the road soon hopefully.

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, here was the problem exactly, check engine light came on, indicator for oil pressure came on as well. The cabin heater coolant pump shorted internally ( no idea what the heck that is) and fried some sensors/ fuses causing the low oil pressure light to turn on. Hopefully everything will be good from now on.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
So, here was the problem exactly, check engine light came on, indicator for oil pressure came on as well. The cabin heater coolant pump shorted internally ( no idea what the heck that is) and fried some sensors/ fuses causing the low oil pressure light to turn on. Hopefully everything will be good from now on.
That suspiciously like this issue: Heater Core Failed, Causing Coolant to Leak from Engine

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if my issue had any chance to have a negative impact on the transmission. As I was in stop and go traffic from Riverside back to San Diego, I noticed that shifting was quite rough on low gears (sometimes) ... that was before I even read this thread. I hope Its just my mild paranoia. I never bothered to ask my tech about the transmission, but I did ask if there was any chance at all that coolant got mixed in with oil in the engine, or any serious damage to the engine, he seemed confident in telling me that did not happen.

Would kill for one of those retired Ford engineers to comment on this thread >.<

Last edited:

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
I hope that is the only issue for the remainder of time that you own the vehicle.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect