alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
Hi all,

So, today, at 317 miles, my truck gave me a low oil pressure and check engine light warning. I checked the oil dip stick, looked normal. I called the toll free number for Ford's towing services, had it towed to a dealership, and they said they will take a look at it tomorrow (Its Sunday, service folks are not available today). I'm very upset, as this is a BRAND NEW truck with this problem. I already checked the engine oil, it looks good. The worst part is, I am in Riverside, up from National City. It is 100 degrees here, and we were stranded in the hot as hell sun for over an hour. I am FAR away (about 100 miles) from the dealership that I purchased the truck at (San Diego), and both me and my partner will be missing work tomorrow. To top it all off, this was our 9 year anniversary weekend.

Coming from a family of Chevy owners, having owned 2 Camaros, and having an S10 and Silverado in the family, my first experiences with Ford thus far have not been great ..... putting it mildly.

Now I'm just hoping that no crazy funny business happens because I am currently in the middle of getting a refund on my extended warranty that I cancelled earlier this week, and they may claim that I "used" the warranty with this repair if the cancellation process has not gone through. Also, the dealership said they would need to charge me $100 to take a look at the truck .... fantastic.
Sponsored

Last edited:

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
No extended warranty use when you're in basic warranty status. Should be a warranty issue with no charge..

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
If there is something wrong , you can rest assured that your basic warranty is still in effect, without deductible.
In spite of the dash message... did you still have oil pressure? Did the engine sound normal?
Do you know what the code was?
Maybe it is just an oil pressure sending unit or a plug came undone.

You may remember that from your Chevys , I changed a lot of them in fleet, probably about one every couple months on about 200 trucks.
Let us know how it goes and good luck.

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If there is something wrong , you can rest assured that your basic warranty is still in effect, without deductible.
In spite of the dash message... did you still have oil pressure? Did the engine sound normal?
Do you know what the code was?
Maybe it is just an oil pressure sending unit or a plug came undone.

You may remember that from your Chevys , I changed a lot of them in fleet, probably about one every couple months on about 200 trucks.
Let us know how it goes and good luck.
The engine sounded normal to me, but, admittedly, I made a post about odd engine sound since I received the truck. I even posted a video about how it sounded these forums. People said it was the normal sound of the direct injected engines (like sewing machine).

It seemed to drive fine, I highly doubt it was the 100 degree temps, it should handle more than that right?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The engine sounded normal to me, but, admittedly, I made a post about odd engine sound since I received the truck. I even posted a video about how it sounded these forums. People said it was the normal sound of the direct injected engines (like sewing machine).

It seemed to drive fine, I highly doubt it was the 100 degree temps, it should handle more than that right?
The cooling system is one of the strong points of the Ranger and a 100° F should not be a challenge if it is full and you did not get a cooling system warning.
Fact is, a brand new engine won't last long without oil pressure, maybe a small number of minutes.
I remember your previous post, and while it is nearly impossible to diagnose on the video alone, it is doubtful that there is any connection.
I am not yet familiar with the cam followers on the 2.3L Ecoboost, but I would imagine that you would hear a pretty serious change in engine noise without oil pressure.
I hope you will follow up and let us know what the dealer says tomorrow.
We all hope it is something minor.

How far did you drive after the warnings showed up?

Last edited:

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The cooling system is one of the strong points of the Ranger and a 100° F should not be a challenge if it is full and you did not get a cooling system warning.
Fact is, a brand new engine won't last long without oil pressure, maybe a small number of minutes.
I remember your previous post, and while it is nearly impossible to diagnose on the video alone, it is doubtful that there is any connection.
I am not yet familiar with the cam followers on the 2.3L Ecoboost, but I would imagine that you would hear a pretty serious change in engine noise without oil pressure.
I hope you will follow up and let us know what the dealer says tomorrow.
We all hope it is something minor.

How far did you drive after the warnings showed up?
About 1/5th or 1/4th of a mile to the nearest parking space. Literally to the safest place I could. Lucky for me, I was on a boulevard, and a high school was only 3 blocks away from when the warning popped up. We waited in the parking lot of the high school for towing folks. They lifted my truck and put it in the back the truck. Then dropped us off at the dealership. Kinda pissed the dealership asks for a minimum $100 to "diagnose" while repairs will (hopefully) and likely, be covered under the 3 year 36,000.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
About 1/5th or 1/4th of a mile to the nearest parking space. Literally to the safest place I could. Lucky for me, I was on a boulevard, and a high school was only 3 blocks away from when the warning popped up. We waited in the parking lot of the high school for towing folks. They lifted my truck and put it in the back the truck. Then dropped us off at the dealership. Kinda pissed the dealership asks for a minimum $100 to "diagnose" while repairs will (hopefully) and likely, be covered under the 3 year 36,000.
You shouldn't have to pay anything.

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
T
That is what I thought as well. They just made me fill out a slip, saying what the problem was, miles, address, phone number, etc. The guy who helped me was a sales guy, said they would have to charge like a minimum $120 for "checking it out." Maybe he was misinformed? I don't know.

They also didn't give me a document or any proof saying that my car was left with them. I just put keys in envelope, along with the service slip inside a locked steel box outside of the service department where my truck is parked. Does this all seem normal to you? I haven't ever owned a new car before this, so I: have no idea what the "dealership" service experience looks like on weekends, when the service center is closed.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
FYI, NEVER, EVER, EVER, trust what a car sales person tells you when it comes to anything technical or mechanical about a vehicle. They usually know nothing other than how to sweet talk people into buying vehicles.

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, NEVER, EVER, EVER, trust what a car sales person tells you when it comes to anything technical or mechanical about a vehicle. They usually know nothing other than how to sweet talk people into buying vehicles.
And lying...don't forget lying.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The warranty card should be all that is required.
Sorry to hear about the nonsense.
Tomorrow will hopefully be a much better experience.

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I'm in to see what the results of this is. In all reality it could be something extremely simple that threw a code; regardless, you won't have to pay a dime as you are covered under warranty.

As an aside, an airbox cover that isn't fully seated will throw a code - just an example of something minute and trivial that doesn't cause damage - not necessarily your problem.*

Tyler

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Modern vehicles have tons of sensors that will alarm if they sense anything they don't think is normal. Be glad it caught what wasn't normal this early so that it can be fixed, or the faulty sensor can be fixed, while under warranty and before it caused catastrophic damage. I'm very interested in finding out what went wrong with your vehicle. So far the only issue that I've seen reported on this site that set off check engine lights yet is an issue with an injector. There may be some that I've missed though. So far my ranger has about 12k miles and hasn't had any hiccups yet and the vast majority of ranger owners seem to be in a similar boat as me.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
The 2.3 Ecoboost has been in production for years so I don’t see your concern about the engine. Sensors and pumps fail occasionally but those are rare occurrences. I am sure Ford will take care of you.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I would refuse to pay that $100 "diagnosis" fee. That's not a thing. Take it to any other dealer or mechanic and they will always take a look at things for free and then give you a call to let you know what's wrong and ask you if you want to perform the service. If you can't get out of the fee, tow it somewhere else.

As far as your engine goes, it could be just bad luck with a faulty part. Your extended warranty has no affect on this issue. Don't get too worked up on its reliability unless it really starts to consistently troubling you.
Sponsored