I can't stop hurling... (Tesla CyberTruck Megathread)

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
For sure. It all depends on setup. If you went pure Tesla, got the solar tiles and a couple powerwalls you would also be doing pretty well with you home and car both powered for quite some time depending upon usage. but getting solar and batteries would be a huge expense up front.

Obviously you can't "find power" in an apocalypse scenario. but you can generate electricity in any number of ways.

There's nothing you can do to generate gasoline.
And this is america--in the worst case, just take the other car and avoid the charging angst. :rolleyes:
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

I think the m
It'll be interesting to see it tomorrow. The picture I posted was one of the "guesses" of the final look. I seriously can't imagine it'll look like that.

My issue with the electric vehicle is how to manage long trips.

What do you do to charge? I realize there are charging stations but I can't imagine they are in back-country locations which I frequently visit on vacation.

When you do locate a charging station, how long does it take? AND if there are others charging how long do I have to wait?

The list of questions go on and on.
For charging at home you can get a simple outlet installed. This yields about 30 mph charging

for long trips Tesla has superchargers all over the main interstates. The fastest superchargers can charge over 1000mph
The supercharging locations are updated in the onboard gps plus you can find them in their phone app.
There is also other players in the game with free stations but they charge much slower. There's other apps to find these like PlugShare.

I think it depends on your situation. For me the situation was over 150 miles per day. we got a model 3 and a home charger installed. In the 7 months we've owned it we spend 1 sec/day to plug the car in.

For the rare long vacation trips, I'll take the small inconvenience of stopping a little more often to charge but never spending anytime filling up with gas/oil changes and whatnote the rest of the year worrying about it.
I think the moral of the story is that it's good that electric vehicles exist, because there are people who can use them. Obviously they don't fit everyone's needs, no vehicle does. Our Rangers aren't the best vehicle for everybody, but they are for us. Same could be said for a Tesla or Mach E.

Personally I'm very excited for more electric cars to come out and for that industry to grow and get better. If my lifestyle was such that I could use an electric car, I would definitely get one. And honestly, if we as a family could have 1 electric vehicle for work commutes, getting around town, and relatively short trips, and 1 gas or hybrid vehicle for longer trips, then I would be very happy. But that takes money and investing in moving that direction (home charging station, etc.), which we can't do right now. And the infrastructure needs to grow as well. If there was more than a handful of charging stations in the 100mi radius of our house, then it wouldn't be as big of deal. But cities and governments are slow to adapt to change.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I think the moral of the story is that it's good that electric vehicles exist, because there are people who can use them. Obviously they don't fit everyone's needs, no vehicle does. Our Rangers aren't the best vehicle for everybody, but they are for us. Same could be said for a Tesla or Mach E.

Personally I'm very excited for more electric cars to come out and for that industry to grow and get better. If my lifestyle was such that I could use an electric car, I would definitely get one. And honestly, if we as a family could have 1 electric vehicle for work commutes, getting around town, and relatively short trips, and 1 gas or hybrid vehicle for longer trips, then I would be very happy. But that takes money and investing in moving that direction (home charging station, etc.), which we can't do right now. And the infrastructure needs to grow as well. If there was more than a handful of charging stations in the 100mi radius of our house, then it wouldn't be as big of deal. But cities and governments are slow to adapt to change.
A truly hybrid Ranger for 2022/23 (whenever the 6g is coming out) would be pretty cool. That would be one thing that might cause me to trade up to the newer version. At this point, the range on full electrics is just not quite good enough for me. If they could get up to 500 miles on a charge, I could probably make the jump - any more than 500 miles in a day and I'm done.

The changes in the auto industry and pretty dramatic - it will be interesting to see how things pan out over the next 10-15 years.

Deleted member 1634

A truly hybrid Ranger for 2022/23 (whenever the 6g is coming out) would be pretty cool. That would be one thing that might cause me to trade up to the newer version. At this point, the range on full electrics is just not quite good enough for me. If they could get up to 500 miles on a charge, I could probably make the jump - any more than 500 miles in a day and I'm done.

The changes in the auto industry and pretty dramatic - it will be interesting to see how things pan out over the next 10-15 years.
Agreed. A hybrid Ranger would definitely be cool. Same with a hybrid Bronco. I'm hoping that when I decide to trade in, there will be a hybrid which matches my needs.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I've always thought Ford should make the Ranger electric before f150. and I don't mean the old electric Ranger I'm not sure what % of people with Rangers vs F150's never tow but I'd bet less ranger owners tow than f150 owners. Towing takes a lot out of the electric batteries.

So it seems to make more sense electrifying the ranger which probably gets used as a commuter more than a tow vehicle. The current Ranger is within about 1000 lbs of a tesla model 3 so I would expect range would be similar. from 200 to 300 miles depending on battery size. I would also think you could fit more batteries in the truck frame

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I doubt the percentage of f150s that are used like sedans is any lower than the percentage of rangers.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt the percentage of f150s that are used like sedans is any lower than the percentage of rangers.
It would be an interesting statistic to find out for sure. I live in the country and it's all old square body's loaded to the roof with stuff. I work in the yuppie part of town. It's all fully decked out top of the line f250's with 22" rims and low pro tires and not a single scratch in the bed

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It would be an interesting statistic to find out for sure. I live in the country and it's all old square body's loaded to the roof with stuff. I work in the yuppie part of town. It's all fully decked out top of the line f250's with 22" rims and low pro tires and not a single scratch in the bed
Around here the mall parking lots are pretty full of 150s, mostly raptors, platinums, and limiteds. Not many king ranch, and it's like there isn't a configuration other than short bed supercrew. I don't see as many non-work-truck 250s, probably because parking them is such a nightmare in higher density areas.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like a '65 Econoline on meth.

econoline.jpg
We haven't actually seen the new Cybertruck yet but I would guess it's going to look more like this.

TeslaTruck.jpg

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
what market is this Tesla going after?
judging by the size of this, it cant be the F150, or even the F250 market.
It looks to me like it's pushing the F550 and up.
This isn't moms grocery getter and dad hauling some firewood for the campfire.
We know so little info at this point. Elon originally said the truck would be able to fit an f150 in the bed.

He's also stated the truck will have independent leveling suspension, lockers and 240v outlets for using high power tools all day without a generator

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
It looks like that pinewood derby car that some kid made... that his dad didn't have any tools but a belt sander.........

How can they say even say it's a truck?

Tesla has unveiled its "Cybertruck" pickup truck, but not without an embarrassing moment on stage.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50513294

"Tesla's truck will be sold starting at $39,900 (ÂŁ30,900), a model which has a range of 250 miles (402km), while the most expensive model, at $69,900, will have a range of 500 miles. The truck will seat up to six adults and haul a payload of 3,500lbs, Tesla said."

Tesla Cyber Truck.jpg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
It looks like that pinewood derby car that some kid made... that his dad didn't have any tools but a belt sander.........

How can they say even say it's a truck?

Tesla has unveiled its "Cybertruck" pickup truck, but not without an embarrassing moment on stage.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50513294

"Tesla's truck will be sold starting at $39,900 (ÂŁ30,900), a model which has a range of 250 miles (402km), while the most expensive model, at $69,900, will have a range of 500 miles. The truck will seat up to six adults and haul a payload of 3,500lbs, Tesla said."
Sponsored