I can't stop hurling... (Tesla CyberTruck Megathread)

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
"The only certainty is that the real Tesla pickup won't be as big as this fanciful rendering from....... Tesla"

Would be much better as a Dodge Diora..

Dodge Diora.jpg

Last edited:

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Caught my attention with the thread title. Yes, that thing is fugly.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure why the Electrics thnk they have to look like something from outerspace, or France! To be honest, the best Electrics right now are those that are slightly modifid looking "Regular" SUV or Sedans that just happen to be powered by Batteries! I don't have anything against them, and I'd probably get one if it met my needs at some point. I just don't like the thought of being caught with a Short Range/Long Recharge/Scarce Recharge Location vehicle with an approaching Hurricane!

Last edited:

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
We are, and have been making history with the advent of electric powered vehicles, much like how the internal combustion engine slowly replaced the horse & buggy in the 19th.century. It was only a matter of time till electric pickups came on scene.
While electric powered cars do have their merits, price is not one of them given the starting price of a Rivian truck is expected to be 70K.
I'll stick with my gas fueled internal combustion engine for now, thanks.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I can't wait for the Tesla Truck. I've been waiting to put my money down since they teased making a truck years ago.

OP
OP
FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I can't wait for the Tesla Truck. I've been waiting to put my money down since they teased making a truck years ago.
It'll be interesting to see it tomorrow. The picture I posted was one of the "guesses" of the final look. I seriously can't imagine it'll look like that.

My issue with the electric vehicle is how to manage long trips.

What do you do to charge? I realize there are charging stations but I can't imagine they are in back-country locations which I frequently visit on vacation.

When you do locate a charging station, how long does it take? AND if there are others charging how long do I have to wait?

The list of questions go on and on.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Imagine you live in California... where they are having power issues. Then how do you charge your car?

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
I think the new Mach E looks a bit like the Infiniti FX35 AKA The Bionic cheetah. Really dug that thing

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
It'll be interesting to see it tomorrow. The picture I posted was one of the "guesses" of the final look. I seriously can't imagine it'll look like that.

My issue with the electric vehicle is how to manage long trips.

What do you do to charge? I realize there are charging stations but I can't imagine they are in back-country locations which I frequently visit on vacation.

When you do locate a charging station, how long does it take? AND if there are others charging how long do I have to wait?

The list of questions go on and on.
For charging at home you can get a simple outlet installed. This yields about 30 mph charging

for long trips Tesla has superchargers all over the main interstates. The fastest superchargers can charge over 1000mph
The supercharging locations are updated in the onboard gps plus you can find them in their phone app.
There is also other players in the game with free stations but they charge much slower. There's other apps to find these like PlugShare.

I think it depends on your situation. For me the situation was over 150 miles per day. we got a model 3 and a home charger installed. In the 7 months we've owned it we spend 1 sec/day to plug the car in.

For the rare long vacation trips, I'll take the small inconvenience of stopping a little more often to charge but never spending anytime filling up with gas/oil changes and whatnote the rest of the year worrying about it.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Imagine you live in California... where they are having power issues. Then how do you charge your car?
Gas stations don't work when there is no power either. Hower if you have solar panels and a charging outlet you can still charge your car.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Gas stations don't work when there is no power either. Hower if you have solar panels and a charging outlet you can still charge your car.
Maybe.. if your solar system generates enough power, and the sun is shining.

But with a gas powered vehicle you are able to get in your car and go for supplies someplace where there is power.. and then get some more gas.

A hybrid vehicle covers both options.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe.. if your solar system generates enough power, and the sun is shining.

But with a gas powered vehicle you are able to get in your car and go for supplies someplace where there is power.. and then get some more gas.

A hybrid vehicle covers both options.
For sure. It all depends on setup. If you went pure Tesla, got the solar tiles and a couple powerwalls you would also be doing pretty well with you home and car both powered for quite some time depending upon usage. but getting solar and batteries would be a huge expense up front.

Obviously you can't "find power" in an apocalypse scenario. but you can generate electricity in any number of ways.

There's nothing you can do to generate gasoline.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Not sure why the Electrics thnk they have to look like something from outerspace, or France! To be honest, the best Electrics right now are those that are slightly modifid looking "Regular" SUV or Sedans that just happen to be powered by Batteries!
Electric vehicles don't have a big engine, transmission, etc., don't need easy access to perform routine maintenance on the engine, and don't need a massive airflow through the front to cool the engine. It would be silly to constrain their designs to the limitations of gas-powered vehicles. I personally think it would be great to be able to chop a few feet off the front of my truck and add the space onto the bed.
Sponsored