Tesla quality lacking

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
It’s difficult to find the facts through all of the hype and legions of rabid fans on social media. Hard data to support my long-suspected impression.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/44068...fail-germanys-strict-inspection-after-3-years

The worst by far, however, was the Tesla Model S. 10.7 percent of the model showed up for testing with a defect of some sort. Not only was this the worst EV in the study, the Model S placed third-to-last out of all cars, including ICE vehicles, only besting the Dacia Logan and Dacia Duster.

Primary problems stated for the Model S were issues with the suspension wishbones, as well as problems with fog lights and low beams. Suspension problems and other quality faux-pas are often discussed when it comes to Tesla; sometimes it's as bad as bolts being missing
from the factory.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It’s difficult to find the facts through all of the hype and legions of rabid fans on social media. Hard data to support my long-suspected impression.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/44068...fail-germanys-strict-inspection-after-3-years

The worst by far, however, was the Tesla Model S. 10.7 percent of the model showed up for testing with a defect of some sort. Not only was this the worst EV in the study, the Model S placed third-to-last out of all cars, including ICE vehicles, only besting the Dacia Logan and Dacia Duster.

Primary problems stated for the Model S were issues with the suspension wishbones, as well as problems with fog lights and low beams. Suspension problems and other quality faux-pas are often discussed when it comes to Tesla; sometimes it's as bad as bolts being missing
from the factory.
Hi Mike,

Our next street down which our property abuts has a Tesla.....It is on a Roll Back wrecker about once in every 2 to 3 weeks. The people who own it just swear by it... I asked what they smoked as it was better than any of the Shit I could buy... We are not speaking to each other, but not about the Tesla...HOA attorneys have suggest we not engage these folks. Another Tesla owner in our HOA is in a similar boat....What is it about Tesla drivers....Their cars do not work but they are so proud to own these pile of crap vehicles.

Best,
Phil

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Hi Mike,

Our next street down which our property abuts has a Tesla.....It is on a Roll Back wrecker about once in every 2 to 3 weeks. The people who own it just swear by it... I asked what they smoked as it was better than any of the Shit I could buy... We are not speaking to each other, but not about the Tesla...HOA attorneys have suggest we not engage these folks. Another Tesla owner in our HOA is in a similar boat....What is it about Tesla drivers....Their cars do not work but they are so proud to own these pile of crap vehicles.

Best,
Phil
But, they're saving the earth.

Right?!

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser VX Limited
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Seems like the quality control from the larger manufacturers is much better. I haven't read much griping about Ford, GM, or Mopar offerings

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
But, they're saving the earth.

Right?!
Hi Doug,

Yep...and they just installed a Solar Panel system to be so green... I talked to the installers and they admitted it would take 14 years to break even on the install.... Huh???

Best,
Phil

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
This data is from 2020. https://www.rd.com/article/car-brands-most-fewest-recalls/

General Motors
Recalls: 213
Vehicles affected: 54,942,962

Ford
Recalls: 209
Vehicles affected: 24,892,471

Chrysler
Recalls: 208
Vehicles affected: 40,726,068

Mercedes-Benz
Recalls: 117
Vehicles affected: 3,150,014

Volkswagen
Recalls: 109
Vehicles affected: 6,510,514

And these manufacturers had the lowest number of recalls among top U.S. carmakers from 2014 through 2018:

Tesla
Recalls: 8
Vehicles affected: 210,727

Volvo LLC
Recalls: 14
Vehicles affected: 190,444

Suzuki Motor of America
Recalls: 24
Vehicles affected: 482,866

Porsche Cars North America
Recalls: 27
Vehicles affected: 257,732

Tie: Subaru of America Inc.
Recalls: 35
Vehicles affected: 3,465,501

Tie: Land Rover
Vehicles potentially affected: 477,080

Also here's a list of 10 biggest recalls of all time. https://www.startrescue.co.uk/news/top-10/top-10-biggest-car-recalls-of-all-time

• Ford Motor Company: 21 million (1981)
  • Ford Motor Company: 9 million (2004)
  • Toyota: 9 million (2009-10)
  • Ford Motor Company: 7 million (1996)
  • General Motors: 7 million (1971)
  • Toyota: 5 million (2015)
  • Honda: 3 million (2015)
  • General Motors: 9 million (2014)
  • General Motors: 4 million (1981)
  • Chrysler: 8 million (2018)

Yev

First Name
Yevgeniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 Lariat FX4, Tesla Model 3
Hello Everyone,
This is my first message on this forum. I just got Ranger 2019 about one month ago and enjoying it. I always had a thing for trucks and used to own GMC Sonoma a while ago.
I can speak to the quality of Tesla first hand. I had Model 3 as my commute vehicle for past 2 years. The quality is not that bad. I’ve heard all the horrible stories but I didn’t have even a single trouble with mine. The only thing I had to fix was a front speaker mesh rattle. So I‘ll say it depends and majority of people who don’t have problems don‘t even go to all those forums.
I didn’t get Model 3 to save the earth. I liked the performance and the way it drives.
Now when I need to haul something or I feel like a truck guy :), I drive Ranger. Otherwise I drive Tesla.

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
If they knew anything about lithium mines they wouldn’t think they’re saving the planet.
Ever seen an oil spill? The big spills seem to happen every few years or so. Not saying lithium doesn’t have its problems, but compared to petroleum it has a long way to go before it even comes close to the environmental damage.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
This data is from 2020. https://www.rd.com/article/car-brands-most-fewest-recalls/

General Motors
Recalls: 213
Vehicles affected: 54,942,962

Ford
Recalls: 209
Vehicles affected: 24,892,471

Chrysler
Recalls: 208
Vehicles affected: 40,726,068

Mercedes-Benz
Recalls: 117
Vehicles affected: 3,150,014

Volkswagen
Recalls: 109
Vehicles affected: 6,510,514

And these manufacturers had the lowest number of recalls among top U.S. carmakers from 2014 through 2018:

Tesla
Recalls: 8
Vehicles affected: 210,727

Volvo LLC
Recalls: 14
Vehicles affected: 190,444

Suzuki Motor of America
Recalls: 24
Vehicles affected: 482,866

Porsche Cars North America
Recalls: 27
Vehicles affected: 257,732

Tie: Subaru of America Inc.
Vehicles affected: 3,465,501

Tie: Land Rover
Vehicles potentially affected: 477,080

Also here's a list of 10 biggest recalls of all time. https://www.startrescue.co.uk/news/top-10/top-10-biggest-car-recalls-of-all-time

• Ford Motor Company: 21 million (1981)
  • Ford Motor Company: 9 million (2004)
  • Toyota: 9 million (2009-10)
  • Ford Motor Company: 7 million (1996)
  • General Motors: 7 million (1971)
  • Toyota: 5 million (2015)
  • Honda: 3 million (2015)
  • General Motors: 9 million (2014)
  • General Motors: 4 million (1981)
  • Chrysler: 8 million (2018)
Recalls are NOT an indication of quality or an indication of problems an individual will have with their particular vehicle. Recalls are rampant across the board in this day n time. Fact is Tesla’s are far crappier than most realize.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Just like most things, they will likely improve…. They’re still fairly new in comparison to other vehicle manufacturers. Its the established manufacturers that should be more criticized. For example….. the bronco appears to have very serious concerns with their suspensions. Zero excuses for that imo.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Just like most things, they will likely improve…. They’re still fairly new in comparison to other vehicle manufacturers. Its the established manufacturers that should be more criticized. For example….. the bronco appears to have very serious concerns with their suspensions. Zero excuses for that imo.
So it’s up to the hard working consumer to keep shelling out the $$ until Tesla can get better?

What Suspension issues are you referring to on the Bronco?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ever seen an oil spill? The big spills seem to happen every few years or so. Not saying lithium doesn’t have its problems, but compared to petroleum it has a long way to go before it even comes close to the environmental damage.
Hi Greg,

How about 3 mile Island? My wife was married to an Engineer who was a key player in this fiasco... We came so close to a Chernobyl disaster...

There are no easy answers. And if we have another Tesla on our street..our underground wiring cannot support supplying the needs of the other 12 houses on our street... And the environmental disposal of a Tesla vs a conventional gasoline vehicle with is 90% recyclable vs a Teslacrap vehicle.

Phil

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Hi Doug,

Yep...and they just installed a Solar Panel system to be so green... I talked to the installers and they admitted it would take 14 years to break even on the install.... Huh???

Best,
Phil
?

What Suspension issues are you referring to on the Bronco?
Guess you haven't heard of the Pigeon Edition?

1.jpeg

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Hi Greg,

How about 3 mile Island? My wife was married to an Engineer who was a key player in this fiasco... We came so close to a Chernobyl disaster...

There are no easy answers. And if we have another Tesla on our street..our underground wiring cannot support supplying the needs of the other 12 houses on our street... And the environmental disposal of a Tesla vs a conventional gasoline vehicle with is 90% recyclable vs a Teslacrap vehicle.

Phil
Yep no easy answers. I just think it is beyond hypocritical to talk about the environmental impact of a Tesla while driving a gas burning car.

I live about 10 miles from an aging nuclear plant that has a history of “accidents” so I get the fear of nuclear. They do send me an emergency radio and some batteries (not lithium) every year to make me feel better. Lol ?
Sponsored