First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
Gov
For clarity, that harness is under the truck, not in it.
Ah thanks. I figured it wasnt to hard to check either area, but thank you for the clarification.
Sponsored

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone created a how-to for XL model owners who want to install a TBC (either aftermarket or Ford authorized Redarc)? I'd just like to know where best to tap into for each component what would normally be accessed on XLT+ models with the 4 wires under the dash.

I tried searching around for a bit and didnt see anything very illustrative and comprehensive. Any direction/guidance would be appreciated.
Reposting this from another thread. A handful of members on this forum have done this. If you bought a XL without tow package you will have a few extra steps... Any questions PM me or go through my previous posts.

None of the XL's, XLT's, or Lariats come with a factory trailer brake controller. But the XLT's and the Lariats regardless of having the tow package do come with the wires easily accessible that will make installation of one MUCH easier when installing one yourself (or cheaper if paying someone else to do it for you)

It is my understanding from reading these forums at length and personal experience that at-least all of the 2019 XL's without tow package lack the 4 wires in the drivers footwell area for easy post purchase addition of a trailer brake controller.

XLT's and Lariats have them regardless of trailer tow package or not. I cannot speak for the 2020 model year trucks although I doubt there is any change.

The ford accessory trailer brake controller for the 2019&2020 ranger is part number VKB3Z-2C006-A
it uses..
-12v+ battery power (this adds an extra step for XL owners w/o tow pk 2)
-trailer brake output wire (this adds an extra step for XL owners w/o tow pk 2)
-ground at location within cab
-an external ECU that is routed to the CHMSL to intercept the brake signals (provided with kit)

Added steps for an XL owner to be able to use a trailer brake controller cliff notes edition.
-run a dedicated circuit direct from the battery (+terminal) to within the cab to power TBC
*I used this redarc 30-amp circuit breaker kit to provide power for my install*
-run a 10 gauge TBC output wire from your cab...
*For this I chose to have the dealership locate the wire on the main loom as close to cab as possible that will communicate to the trailer brake output pin on the 7 way plug. They had to cut the protective covering off the wiring running to the rear of the truck and tone out the TBC wire,
make a solder&crimp connection followed up with a weatherproof covering and run that wire to the drivers side footwell so that it may reach the complimentary blue wire on the TBC. (use your ford pass points if you can I was charged 2 hours at $120)

So all in all for XL owner without factory tow package you need.
-hitch (105-350$ depending on aftermarket or OEM)
-TBC mentioned above (not required but easiest/least inherent risk IMHO)
-the appropriate " -c" or "-d" harness and 7 way plug for bumper (roughly 150$)
-provide power to cab (kit is 50$, if you're handy DIY is like 12-15$ at any auto parts store)
-route 10 ga. wire to communicate with plug at rear (12$ per 8' of 10 ga wire or so and the appropriate tools to locate the correct wire)

OP
OP

AlanBowers86

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
Gov
Reposting this from another thread. A handful of members on this forum have done this. If you bought a XL without tow package you will have a few extra steps... Any questions PM me or go through my previous posts.
Thank you, yeah I saw this in the other thread and it gave me confidence for tow package equipped XL's to have the wiring necessary, and not have to run anything to the battery, or figure out where to tie into for the signal wire. I'll be taking a much more careful look next time around for that.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Thank you, I'll have to take a closer look behind the left kick panel area. Seeing some owners on this forum rip apart their trucks to find those wires had me anxious. Could be a tow vs non-tow package thing too if t4thfavor is correct about the harness. I'll look near the driver's seat and LH frame area too next time I'm around one.
The only thing I removed to get to the wires was the fuse panel cover.

LHC

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Occupation
Retired
Thank you, however I was referring to getting the trailer brake controller tied into the vehicle. XL model owners seem to be screwed with regard to getting the TBC integrated easily, even if their trucks have the trailer tow package.
I just installed the ford ranger brake controller package on my 2020 ranger xl which did not have the tow package, therefore it did not have wires under the dash. I also installed the Curt universal wiring harness which provided the 7way connector, the brake signal output and the 12v wire for the controller. Circuit breakers also included. It was quite a project and I still have to figure out why the bed light doesn't work!

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the ford ranger brake controller package on my 2020 ranger xl which did not have the tow package, therefore it did not have wires under the dash. I also installed the Curt universal wiring harness which provided the 7way connector, the brake signal output and the 12v wire for the controller. Circuit breakers also included. It was quite a project and I still have to figure out why the bed light doesn't work!
If you installed the ford kit the connections within the CHMSL may not be solid if thats what you're meaning by the bed light.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
The ford wiring kit comes with the four wires under the dash from what I understand, maybe find the install guide for that kit and see what you’re missing.
Sponsored