First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
Gov
Has anyone created a how-to for XL model owners who want to install a TBC (either aftermarket or Ford authorized Redarc)? I'd just like to know where best to tap into for each component what would normally be accessed on XLT+ models with the 4 wires under the dash.

I tried searching around for a bit and didnt see anything very illustrative and comprehensive. Any direction/guidance would be appreciated.
Sponsored

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone created a how-to for XL model owners who want to install a TBC (either aftermarket or Ford authorized Redarc)? I'd just like to know where best to tap into for each component what would normally be accessed on XLT+ models with the 4 wires under the dash.

I tried searching around for a bit and didnt see anything very illustrative and comprehensive. Any direction/guidance would be appreciated.
The wires are there.

another ranger wires photo.JPG

20190504_103953.jpg

Jimmy07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL/STX
I can tell you my 2019 XL did not have the 4 wires under dash that other Ranger's have. Dealer did not believe me so I brought it in. Shop foreman couldn't find them. Wound up paying four hours of shop labor for them to find tap/splice points and run them to dash. Really pissed, and wrote two letters to Ford demanding they reimburse me for the missing components they failed to provide. No resolution as yet, so I might have to sue/arbitrate.

OP
OP

AlanBowers86

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
Gov
Edds
Wound up paying four hours of shop labor for them to find tap/splice points and run them to dash.
Yeah that is something I'd like to avoid if possible. I'm okay with doing a little wiring myself (emphasis on little), but I'd love to know where to start looking to the appropriate connections so it doesnt take me all day.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Edds

Yeah that is something I'd like to avoid if possible. I'm okay with doing a little wiring myself (emphasis on little), but I'd love to know where to start looking to the appropriate connections so it doesnt take me all day.
There's literally a plug by the frame by the drivers seat that you plug in the trailer package to. Don't have them splice crap into your wiring harness, just order the parts and put them in yourself, or pay the hour or two of labor to have them installed correctly.

If your truck had the trailer package on the window sticker, then they will have to install it for free if it's absent.

This thread shows the part and part number.
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/trailer-wiring-and-connector.2903/page-3#post-122995

Last edited:
OP
OP

AlanBowers86

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
Gov
There's literally a plug by the frame by the drivers seat that you plug in the trailer package to. Don't have them splice crap into your wiring harness, just order the parts and put them in yourself, or pay the hour or two of labor to have them installed correctly.
Thank you, however I was referring to getting the trailer brake controller tied into the vehicle. XL model owners seem to be screwed with regard to getting the TBC integrated easily, even if their trucks have the trailer tow package.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doesn’t the harness I posted the link to contain the four controller wires that get routed up under the dash?

OP
OP

AlanBowers86

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
Gov
YES It is a 2019 XL. The wires are NOT under the dash, but on the left side. They are SHORT, so hard to get to.
Oh interesting, so they are in a different place than on other models? Apologies as I am not a current owner, rather a prospective one and just making sure what is or is not there, as I've read a few posts that make it seem like a daunting task if those wires are not present.

OP
OP

AlanBowers86

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
Gov
Doesn’t the harness I posted the link to contain the four controller wires that get routed up under the dash?
Oh shoot I am not sure. That is the same harness that should normally be in place on any tow package equipped models right? And apologies to you as well, like I mentioned above I am merely researching XL models for a purchase here soon. Another thread had me very concerned that those 4 wires were not present on XL, but it sounds like they might be just in a different location. I looked at two models on a dealer lot yesterday and didnt see any where I thought they should be, but might need to look closer up underneath the dash for them.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
They were NOT in my XL.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Oh interesting, so they are in a different place than on other models? Apologies as I am not a current owner, rather a prospective one and just making sure what is or is not there, as I've read a few posts that make it seem like a daunting task if those wires are not present.
It is my understanding that the 4 wires are available on ALL models. Both with and without the tow option.

OP
OP

AlanBowers86

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
Gov
It is my understanding that the 4 wires are available on ALL models. Both with and without the tow option.
Thank you, I'll have to take a closer look behind the left kick panel area. Seeing some owners on this forum rip apart their trucks to find those wires had me anxious. Could be a tow vs non-tow package thing too if t4thfavor is correct about the harness. I'll look near the driver's seat and LH frame area too next time I'm around one.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you, I'll have to take a closer look behind the left kick panel area. Seeing some owners on this forum rip apart their trucks to find those wires had me anxious. Could be a tow vs non-tow package thing too if t4thfavor is correct about the harness. I'll look near the driver's seat and LH frame area too next time I'm around one.

For clarity, that harness is under the truck, not in it.
Sponsored