Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
Hi Jamison,

What you need is the tailgate lock bracket from McGard, but yes the damper will slow down anyone trying to seal the tailgate but the lock will do a better job. As for being down, the tailgate is pretty rigid. It only pulls loose on the right side at about a 45° angle otherwise up or down it is locked in place. Hope this makes sense..

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I was loading trash today and when it's down, if I don't push forward on it when I raise it, it slides out and I have to readjust the plastic piece. I'm not worried about theft, it's wide open.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I was loading trash today and when it's down, if I don't push forward on it when I raise it, it slides out and I have to readjust the plastic piece. I'm not worried about theft, it's wide open.
Just another reason to buy a damper. You will not have to worry about it popping out as the damper will keep it in place and you'll also be part of the kool club. :sunglasses: ?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Jamison,

Something is not right with your truck for that to happen in the full down position. I think you need to involve the dealer to figure this out....I am baffled why this would happen. Cannot recall anyone else on these forums that has had such a problem. Was this tailgate removed for some reason and not properly engaged on the left side? Otherwise, puzzling!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
Hi Jamison,

Something is not right with your truck for that to happen in the full down position. I think you need to involve the dealer to figure this out....I am baffled why this would happen. Cannot recall anyone else on these forums that has had such a problem. Was this tailgate removed for some reason and not properly engaged on the left side? Otherwise, puzzling!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I'll see if I can't get video later.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I'll see if I can't get video later.
Yea something wrong there. Heavent tried on the ranger yet but usually you could only unhook the tailgate when it is about 2/3 the way open. Theres a slot that has to be ligned up

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2002 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Traffic Signal Technician
Not sure if anyone else would be interested but I spray painted the hardware flat black on mine before I installed. I think it looks better will post a pic or two if anyone is interested.?

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if anyone else would be interested but I spray painted the hardware flat black on mine before I installed. I think it looks better will post a pic or two if anyone is interested.?
Good move as rust always loves metal, especially damp er metal ;) (this is where the tish boom comes in).

Did you use the primer/paint flat or just flat?

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2002 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Traffic Signal Technician
Good move as rust always loves metal, especially damp er metal ;) (this is where the tish boom comes in).

Did you use the primer/paint flat or just flat?
I used Krylon Colormaxx paint + primer.

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
Yea something wrong there. Heavent tried on the ranger yet but usually you could only unhook the tailgate when it is about 2/3 the way open. Theres a slot that has to be ligned up
on mine the slot is on the right side only, and allows the tailgate to slip free on the right side at 45deg. i think this is confirmed by the manual IIRC. i learned this the hard way- i was in a habit of flipping up the tailgate with one hand near the handle to close (slam) it, and one time the flip had just the right zing to pop the right hinge off on the way up. i am happy i didnt bend it, wish that coudln't happen- i will never remove the tailgate.

now i am a little more circumspect closing the gate.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I can't imagine life without the damper...appreciate it everytime I open the gate with one hand and watch it do it's slow sexy thing...and that hot squishing sound Oh My... ?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I can't imagine life without the damper...appreciate it everytime I open the gate with one hand and watch it do it's slow sexy thing...and that hot squishing sound Oh My... ?

Are you sure that hot squishing sound is the damper :shock: ...Just saying. ? :lipssealed:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yours doen't whisper sexy sounds to you? Defective ?

Sexy sounds yes, hot squishing ones no. That sounds more like a personal problem. ?:giggle:

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Are you sure that hot squishing sound is the damper :shock: ...Just saying. ? :lipssealed:
Yours doen't whisper sexy sounds to you? Defective ?
Sexy sounds yes, hot squishing ones no. That sounds more like a personal problem. ?:giggle:
All I need say:
:LOL:

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
on mine the slot is on the right side only, and allows the tailgate to slip free on the right side at 45deg. i think this is confirmed by the manual IIRC. i learned this the hard way- i was in a habit of flipping up the tailgate with one hand near the handle to close (slam) it, and one time the flip had just the right zing to pop the right hinge off on the way up. i am happy i didnt bend it, wish that coudln't happen- i will never remove the tailgate.

now i am a little more circumspect closing the gate.
Ford sells a tailgate lock that prevents the tailgate from being removed. It's made by McGard. Like you, I will never remove the tailgate, so I installed the lock. You can remove it if you ever need to, it isn't permanent. Here's a link on eBay (this is what comes from Ford - for some reason, it's not on the McGard website: https://www.ebay.com/i/133346016552...1291&msclkid=adde536cf7621eca35790c0f330dfd68
Sponsored