First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Security Engineer
I've been paying closer attention to trucks with the "wider" tires that stick out past the fender. I like this look, personally. From my observations, it doesn't appear their tires are any wider, so I assume this is using spacers?

I'm very new to trucks in general, so is there a guide, standard considerations, etc. for performing this mod? I don't want to break or ruin anything, in other words. Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tremortized

Tremortized

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Engineer
OK, makes sense.

What is your approach to making it look more aggressive? I'm not talking about the wheels sticking out a foot - maybe a few inches.

I don't know, I saw a local Ranger with a hood, front grill, and tires popping out a bit - I looked good.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You definitely want wider flares as you will damage the paint along the sides of the truck. Even the Bronco with the Sasquatch package has this problem and they come with wider flares. I'd start with the offset and if you need a little more then add wheel spacers.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Spacers or extremely offset wheels.

The only thing you'll ruin is the paint on the side of the truck, wheel bearings, dignity.
This!

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Depending on how wide you want to go, just some mud flaps if you want to save your paint a bit. I have 1" wheel spacers on my Tremor and that put the wheel about flush to maybe a pinch outside the body. Sounds like you may want the 1.5" wheel spacer though.

With the Tremor wheels and tires and the 1" wheel spacer, all I needed to do was push the intrusion bars out some to stop rubbing. I had a PINCH of rub only in reverse with steering locked to the right. When I did the 1" level, that stopped it all completely.

This image was stock height with 1" spacers on the Tremor. 1.5" spacers might be what you want though.

PXL_20220304_192133329.jpg

PXL_20211202_233335523.jpg

This is with 285/70/17, 1" level and 1" wheel spacers
PXL_20220326_223837227.jpg
PXL_20220326_222707849.jpg

PXL_20220324_171619572.jpg

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I've been paying closer attention to trucks with the "wider" tires that stick out past the fender. I like this look, personally. From my observations, it doesn't appear their tires are any wider, so I assume this is using spacers?

I'm very new to trucks in general, so is there a guide, standard considerations, etc. for performing this mod? I don't want to break or ruin anything, in other words. Thanks!
If you want the wheel and tire too stick out a little more I suggest getting the appropriate fender flares. Why you ask? For starters there are some states the police will have no problem giving you a ticket for it(if the area you are in has a rule about it). Second it actually looks a bit silly too me if you dont have fender flares. Last but not least if you are going to do it you would be best to buy new wheels instead of spacers for safety reasons. Yes many on here have yet to report a major issue with wheel spacers but it doesnt mean it wont happen to you.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
It’s a long and complicated story that starts off innocently mentioning wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels with lower offset than OEM.

Then, it quickly spirals into the world of levelling, negative offset, and crash bars.

Your best bet is to read some of the longer threads on “biggest tires - no lift” and such to get a base knowledge of everything involved in getting that “stance”.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Josh, you can use this link to see how the offset of the wheels is what places the wheels farther out, or in. The Ranger wheels have an offset of +55. Anything less than that will push the wheels out farther, i.e. +54 alll the way to the negative (-) offset. Just use the the offset comparison chart on the link. To help, say your using the stock XLT wheel set-up. Enter 265/75R17, and +55 in the first sectio. Then enter the size tire, and the offset of the wheels your looking to buy. It will show you where the stock set-up is, and then overlay the aftermarket set-up to give you how much the aftermarket set will be pushed out. Then you need to consider what Duke @DukeCanBuildit says about the other things you may need to do. The second link will help you out with that.

https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/forums/tires-wheels-brakes.11/

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Josh, you can use this link to see how the offset of the wheels is what places the wheels farther out, or in. The Ranger wheels have an offset of +55. Anything less than that will push the wheels out farther, i.e. +54 alll the way to the negative (-) offset. Just use the the offset comparison chart on the link. To help, say your using the stock XLT wheel set-up. Enter 265/75R17, and +55 in the first sectio. Then enter the size tire, and the offset of the wheels your looking to buy. It will show you where the stock set-up is, and then overlay the aftermarket set-up to give you how much the aftermarket set will be pushed out.

https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/
Jim’s right Josh - that calculator gives you a great idea of what to expect.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Jim’s right Josh - that calculator gives you a great idea of what to expect.
Duke, should we warn the young man about the "mod bug", and that this bug bite can cost you more than a visit to the doctor. Of course we know there is no cure. :)

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Nah, I kind of like to watch these things unfold on their own. I take the Prime Directive approach like in Star Trek.

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
I used to think those high trucks with aggressive stance were real cool. Could only imagine the amazing places they were taking those tremendous, expensive trucks! And couldn't believe all those Raptors I saw out on the road. Low and behold, most of that is just cosmetic and aftermarket parts. Those aren't wider more capable tires, just spacers. That's a fake, Chinese Raptor grill. Maybe some leveling and not a full lift. Guys are trying to duplicate the Tremor look with Rangers. WTF? It's all lost on me.

Just like you can't trust a fart after snarfing down a quart of strawberries, you can't trust what you see on the road. Or in the mall parking lot. I don't see any of those trucks in the backcountry.

All that being said...I have no problem with anyone making their truck their own. However they want it to look or function, is fine with me!

OP
OP
Tremortized

Tremortized

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Engineer
Well, dang, thanks all. This is a lot to digest. :)

As for the mod bug, it's too late for me. I come from sports cars (most recent being an M5 and a CTS-V). This was supposed to be less expensive and help me get out more, haha.

I already have a downpipe in my garage and am itching to get the catback, not to mention a tune, larger turbo, fmic, etc. But then I've been dreaming of a coyote swap with a 6-speed.

I'm trying to distract myself, but likely going to fail.