First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
I used to think those high trucks with aggressive stance were real cool. Could only imagine the amazing places they were taking those tremendous, expensive trucks! And couldn't believe all those Raptors I saw out on the road. Low and behold, most of that is just cosmetic and aftermarket parts. Those aren't wider more capable tires, just spacers. That's a fake, Chinese Raptor grill. Maybe some leveling and not a full lift. Guys are trying to duplicate the Tremor look with Rangers. WTF? It's all lost on me.

Just like you can't trust a fart after snarfing down a quart of strawberries, you can't trust what you see on the road. Or in the mall parking lot. I don't see any of those trucks in the backcountry.

All that being said...I have no problem with anyone making their truck their own. However they want it to look or function, is fine with me!
Has anyone actually seen a Raptor on a rocky trail?!?
Sponsored

BiilyJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
And how many people here do you think actually put the wheel spacers on themselves and torque them properly? Better yet how many people here do you believe own a torque wrench? Have you thought about that? Chances are they take it to a shop and the job gets done incorrectly. I'm still waiting for someone on here to report a wheel falling off because of such thing. This isn't me causing drama. This is simply me stating the facts
I put mine on myself, and used my torque wrench. And blue loctite.

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
I put mine on myself, and used my torque wrench. And blue loctite.
Anyone else using thread locker on the lug nuts? I use a torque wrench for the wheels but have never applied any loctite to them. I use it everywhere else! :wink:

Last edited:

BiilyJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Anyone else using thread locker on the lug nuts? I use a torque wrench for the wheels but have never applied and loctite to them. I use it everywhere else! :wink:
My spidertrax spacers that I put on my wrangler came with red locktite. I wonder if that's frenchy approved?

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Just buy wheels with your desired offset.

I am running Methods with +0 offset. The "poke" is nothing crazy and imo looks aggressive but clean, my tires stick out about an inch or so from the fender.

As others have said, you will want to get some fenders to protect your paint. I have a set of RTR fenders waiting to go on this weekend.

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
For wheel spacers you have no way to torque the lug nuts unless the brakes are held. For tires the tires can touch the ground (no brakes needed) allowing you to torque the lug correctly. If the wheels are in the air and the tech decides to use torque sticks I can pronise you the lugs will fall off(especially if not checked with a torque wrench). To say the least I have seen enough wheels fall off in Automotive.
Just check your spacer torque after every tire change, and enlist the help of a significant other/neighborhood teenager/passing stranger. Never trust someone earning $12/hr with your safety.

I've been spacer cautious in the past, but ended up using them on both my current vehicles. They just offered a better solution than aftermarket wheels, since I was looking for very specific offsets.

On the 200-series, I swapped out the front control arms, cvs, etc with Tundra parts to add 1.5 inches of width per side (and gain more travel than a Bronco Sasquatch). Only way to keep that in the arches was to stick with the +56 wheels (which also delivers a nice sleeper look). To match that extra width on the rear axle in any way other than spacer would have been ridiculously complicated.

On the current Ranger, I also wanted to stick with the OE wheels (and a set of ROW Ranger Raptor wheels) for the OE+ look. But needed some extra width to correct the scrub radius on the taller 285/75s. One inch spacers were the ideal solution.

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
Just buy wheels with your desired offset.

I am running Methods with +0 offset. The "poke" is nothing crazy and imo looks aggressive but clean, my tires stick out about an inch or so from the fender.

As others have said, you will want to get some fenders to protect your paint. I have a set of RTR fenders waiting to go on this weekend.
Zero offset pokes at least one inch. Way too much. Ran them on my first Ranger and they just destroyed the paint. Aftermarket wheels with zero offset are about saving wheel makers money, not delivering you value.

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Zero offset pokes at least one inch. Way too much. Ran them on my first Ranger and they just destroyed the paint. Aftermarket wheels with zero offset are about saving wheel makers money, not delivering you value.
"Way too much" is pretty subjective. Like I said I have RTR fenders going on and my paint is fine.

Not sure why value was brought into the equation, but value to me is getting the wheel that I want with the look that I want, fitting the tire that I want. Again, very subjective.

I will repeat what I said, buy wheels with your desired offset. I am not telling OP to buy 0 offset, just sharing what I run and my opinion

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
"Way too much" is pretty subjective. Like I said I have RTR fenders going on and my paint is fine.

Not sure why value was brought into the equation, but value to me is getting the wheel that I want with the look that I want, fitting the tire that I want. Again, very subjective.

I will repeat what I said, buy wheels with your desired offset. I am not telling OP to buy 0 offset, just sharing what I run and my opinion
What he said!

arbjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Arborist
A stock wheels and a spacer does the trick, this is a beast off road.

2021-05-29 12.48.29.jpg

2021-05-29 12.51.04.jpg
If you don't mind me asking. Whats the exact suspension and wheels you have? 2.5in level? Spacer size? Tire size?
Sponsored