First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
Here are my home made bed tie downs. Less than $6 each. I purchased these parts at Menards. I cut the straps for the d-rings and welded them on. Painted the straps and screwed em in. I did have to file the holes in the straps about a 16th of an inch. Here are photos from the beginning. Very happy with them.

120EA1BC-C546-4A4D-B5FE-CC75A2C6AD81.jpeg

E894808A-4617-48D5-B2ED-3BFA9CEDA877.jpeg

2E7DF6DC-50ED-40D0-B4C8-04CF6B84A5C6.jpeg

DC3D42A2-28A1-4C20-8326-B60F82108B2D.jpeg
Sponsored

dkirby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat Tremor, '16 Focus RS, '10 Evo X
Occupation
Engineer
Very Nice. I wish I could weld. For reference, the center2center distance for the mounting holes is 95mm.

Last edited:

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
Nice improvising with it, thought this would have been a solution for me but the welding part nixes it for me also.

OP
OP
Buddybiro

Buddybiro

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
Nice improvising with it, thought this would have been a solution for me but the welding part nixes it for me also.
Everyone know someone that welds. that was the easy part.

chrisakz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Supercab XLT FX4
I do like the improvisation, but to those who can’t weld or don’t have one it would be possible to just install the triangle rings on the strap without the back strap.. they won’t be centered and will slide around a bit but if you want and need another tie down point it’s an easy and inexpensive solution nonetheless

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
Unfortunately i don't personally know a welder, now for some cash I'm sure i could call him a friend LOL.

@chrisakz
Or don't use the 'D' ring and just hook the 'S' hook from your ratchet strap to the metal strap bar that OP Buddybiro posted above that would closely replicate what the factory pieces are.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I do like the improvisation, but to those who can’t weld or don’t have one it would be possible to just install the triangle rings on the strap without the back strap.. they won’t be centered and will slide around a bit but if you want and need another tie down point it’s an easy and inexpensive solution nonetheless
Hi Chris,

I agree, Kudos for improvisation for sure. However, being inside the car industry, there are many types of steel that are way beyond hardware grade 1010 steel which is weak as a kitten...So the bales rated at 400 lbs...the straps behind the bails included but the flat straps are likely not even close and thus may deform way less than 400 lbs as they are the weak link in the chain. The load rating on these are unknown... That said, for most cases these will suffice, but very heavy loads may result in failure.

The Ford expensive ones have a rating and this rating is not a guess...It was tested and is likely over and above the rating.

I do not wish to discourage folks like Buddy from inovation, but understand that there may be limitations to the innovation using low end hardware.

When I had a Materials area as part of my CAE analysis area...I learned so much about material properties and their plus and minus aspects.

When we created the blade sway bar system for the SCCA Racetrucks...my materials folks eschewed the standart chrome molly 4130 for 8540...at time only used by NASA, but produced parts that have infinite live where 4130 would have failed...

ARRRRRRRRRRRRg...

Diarrhea of the keyboard.

Good Nigh....Tomorrow I turn 73....Ugh!

Best,
Phil

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.

chrisakz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree Phil, OPs materials look to be relatively thin. I gave him a +1 for coming up with his own solution. If I were to build my own version of it (or anyone else thinking of using OPs idea) I would recommend using heavier materials.

on a side note have a Happy Birthday!

OP
OP
Buddybiro

Buddybiro

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
Hi Chris,

I agree, Kudos for improvisation for sure. However, being inside the car industry, there are many types of steel that are way beyond hardware grade 1010 steel which is weak as a kitten...So the bales rated at 400 lbs...the straps behind the bails included but the flat straps are likely not even close and thus may deform way less than 400 lbs as they are the weak link in the chain. The load rating on these are unknown... That said, for most cases these will suffice, but very heavy loads may result in failure.

The Ford expensive ones have a rating and this rating is not a guess...It was tested and is likely over and above the rating.

I do not wish to discourage folks like Buddy from inovation, but understand that there may be limitations to the innovation using low end hardware.

When I had a Materials area as part of my CAE analysis area...I learned so much about material properties and their plus and minus aspects.

When we created the blade sway bar system for the SCCA Racetrucks...my materials folks eschewed the standart chrome molly 4130 for 8540...at time only used by NASA, but produced parts that have infinite live where 4130 would have failed...

ARRRRRRRRRRRRg...

Diarrhea of the keyboard.

Good Nigh....Tomorrow I turn 73....Ugh!

Best,
Phil
I would like to know what you carry in your truck that would be over 400# load or 1200# break stregnth? These are way stronger than anything most of us will ever haul.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Why go to all this trouble when you can just get the factory units at only $425 each? Plus $5 each for the bolts? ? :LOL:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I would like to know what you carry in your truck that would be over 400# load or 1200# break stregnth? These are way stronger than anything most of us will ever haul.
Hi Buddy,

My 60 Gallon air compressor that weighed in at about 800lbs for example....

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
Buddybiro

Buddybiro

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
So you feel these would not hold that? im sure you never strap it to just one point ?

chrisakz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My only concern with this would be with the flat bar really..there’s no structural rigidity or bends in it to give it strength. It’s a short span of 3 inches so it’s not long and wobbly but cheap thin flat bar stock tends to give a lot and it COULD not would deform under certain conditions.