First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Came across this thread and went out to the parking lot to check my truck. On my hands and knees crawling around. Yup I got them and their plugged. 2020 XLT.

Y’all got an applause from some of my younger cohorts in business. They said it’s the first time they ever saw me come to my knees and crawl! ?

Not bad for an old man eh‼
Yeah, They usually see you walking around like this. ?

Old Man.jpg
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Do all 5G Rangers have these gaping holes on the rocker panels? Hard to believe these are the best design alternative when considering all factors.

Many contaminants and water are invited to enter here on my 2021... So weird, when compared to EVERY other vehicle I have seen or owned.

Would love to hear an explanation for these - that makes them seem right not wrong.

20210623_081843.jpg
Hi Ben,

The holes and rubber plugs are part of the body assembly from what I can tell from the shop manual as access points for robotic welding. Being a chassis based, I am not familiar to the degree I would like in body assembly, but the even spacing looks designed for robotic access. JMO

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Came across this thread and went out to the parking lot to check my truck. On my hands and knees crawling around. Yup I got them and their plugged. 2020 XLT.

Y’all got an applause from some of my younger cohorts in business. They said it’s the first time they ever saw me come to my knees and crawl! ?

Not bad for an old man eh‼

Well shit Rick, now I've gotta get off my lazy ass and check mine. Daminit......I'll report back in a minute. :)

@Trigganometry OK, 5 minutes later I'm back. Dang, gravity sucks. I got down on these old knees just fine, but getting back up sucks. Wait, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, holes in the rocker. So, I looked, and yep there they were in my Super Cab. But they were all plugged, so that's good I guess.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Well shit Rick, now I've gotta get off my lazy ass and check mine. Daminit......I'll report back in a minute. :)

@Trigganometry OK, 5 minutes later I'm back. Dang, gravity sucks. I got down on these old knees just fine, but getting back up sucks. Wait, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, holes in the rocker. So, I looked, and yep there they were in my Super Cab. But they were all plugged, so that's good I guess.
Rick, don't let Jim fool you. No way he made it out there and back in 5 minutes! He's still laying on the garage floor posting this from his phone trying to figure out how he's going to get back up. ?

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Rick, don't let Jim fool you. No way he made it out there and back in 5 minutes! He's still laying on the garage floor posting this from his phone trying to figure out how he's going to get back up. ?
Lord have mercy Dave, can I not get away with anything these days? The only way you could have known that is it's something you've tried already. :bandit::turkey::turkey::turkey::turkey::turkey:

Now, leave me alone. I've got to call the wife to help my old ass up..............

HDEO

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Tremor, M240i
Occupation
Formulator
Do all 5G Rangers have these gaping holes on the rocker panels? Hard to believe these are the best design alternative when considering all factors.

Many contaminants and water are invited to enter here on my 2021... So weird, when compared to EVERY other vehicle I have seen or owned.

Would love to hear an explanation for these - that makes them seem right not wrong.

20210623_081843.jpg
2021 Tremor with unplugged holes. Just like the OP.

4A337789-9D23-460C-BA10-65BD54EAD6F1.jpeg

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'm curious why they're unplugged. Makes me leery about getting another Ford. I think mines going to go for sale this weekend.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
looks like the plugs were deleted on all of the '21s just from skimming the posts. maybe supplier issues, or ford being cheap by not installing parts
Sponsored

Reactions: R_B