Here's what I have learn from ordering the new 2019 Ford Ranger.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
As far as the online tracker, my guess is that Ford's position would be "We offer this as a courtesy, if it becomes a problem we'll just do away with it". (Yes, I'm sure their intent was to lessen customer calls as much as anything).

And I agree that a big problem with the ROVP program was dealership ignorance.
When I first asked about placing my order (early November), I was told they weren't quite ready to take orders yet, but I'd need to make a $500 deposit when the time came.
Got a call in late November to come in and order, showed up checkbook in hand, and went through picking the options with my sales guy. "Manager" came over and told me he wasn't asking his "good customers" to pay the deposit (okay, whatever), and that I should receive my truck in late January (Later appended to early February).
Turns out, he was only off by two months.

I don't see any of this as poor performance by the salesman, he did what he thought he was supposed to do. Called me with updates, let me know when the VIN was assigned, etc.
More, a proper training-issue from Ford.

I mentioned this before, but the last vehicle I pre-ordered (in 1999 or 2000), was from a different company.
They didn't tell me about tracking online, but I found that I could.
What my salesman did do was send me multiple "care packages" while I waited. (CD holders, die-cast cars, koozies, caps, t-shirts, etc.)
It was still a long wait, but those little gifts made it more tolerable.
For me the bottom line is that Ford has done two things VERY poorly:

1. Communication with dealers and potential customers about options, etc If it weren't for this forum, I would not know about a LOT of things
  2. Basic customer service and managing expectations. When you tell someone that an ROVP will be scheduled as soon as it is approved and then you have people waiting literally MONTHS - WITH NO EXPLANATION - that is just poor customer service - PERIOD. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior. Saying it is the first year of a model does not excuse it IMO.
The one thing they did get (mostly) right is the truck itself. While it does have some shortcomings, I think the positives GREATLY outweigh them. I couldn't be happier with the final product. It was just tough to wait 4 months for it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
There is no excuse for that kind of behavior. Saying it is the first year of a model does not excuse it IMO.
Reading some of the forum members comments about this thread reminds me of trying to sugarcoat the facts or trying to put lipstick on a pig.

The facts still stand -
1. Being FIRST to order a new Ford Ranger does not mean you will receive it FIRST.
2. ROVP - Retail Order Verification Program is a joke.
3. Ford Vehicle Order Tracking - Vin # verification/tracker is not, by no means, accurate.

About 8 MONTHS for a 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4x2 SuperCab! - This in NOT Tesla - it's Ford Motor Company that has been manufacturing vehicles for over 100 years!

This is not Ford's first rodeo - this Ranger pickup truck has been manufactured outside the USA for the last 8 years and has been just recently modified to American standards for manufacturing!

There is only one saving grace from my "2019 Ford Ranger XL order from hell" is the fact that it gave the factory workers and engineers, in the Michigan Wayne Assembly Plant, plenty of time to acquire the proper skills to manufacturer my 2019 Ford Ranger with no problems! :devil:

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
I mentioned this before, but the last vehicle I pre-ordered (in 1999 or 2000), was from a different company.
They didn't tell me about tracking online, but I found that I could.
What my salesman did do was send me multiple "care packages" while I waited. (CD holders, die-cast cars, koozies, caps, t-shirts, etc.)
It was still a long wait, but those little gifts made it more tolerable.
I just asked mine if they could throw in a brake controller due to the loss of the B&O sound system due to the short cab. They replied there wasn't enough profit margin for them to do so...I chuckled at that one.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The facts still stand -
1. Being FIRST to order a new Ford Ranger does not mean you will receive it FIRST.
2. ROVP - Retail Order Verification Program is a joke.
3. Ford Vehicle Order Tracking - Vin # verification/tracker is not, by no means, accurate.
I would like to add one more fact -
When you order the "plain" 2019 Ford Ranger XL trim model don't expect Ford to even try help you a lot - this vehicle is their lowest trim based model which means low profit. Your order is always placed last with the lowest priority !
It may be a shock, to most people, but I am using this truck as a work vehicle instead of hauling around some kayak on the weekend.:devil:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I would like to add one more fact -
When you order the "plain" 2019 Ford Ranger XL trim model don't expect Ford to even try help you a lot - this vehicle is their lowest trim based model which means low profit. Your order is always placed last with the lowest priority !
It may be a shock, to most people, but I am using this truck as a work vehicle instead of hauling around some kayak on the weekend.:devil:
What:question: No sky diving,cliff jumping, or rope walking??:)
I suppose you 'll actually drive yours on PAVEMENT too?:rockon:
WOW MAN !

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Basic customer service and managing expectations. When you tell someone that an ROVP will be scheduled as soon as it is approved and then you have people waiting literally MONTHS - WITH NO EXPLANATION - that is just poor customer service - PERIOD. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior. Saying it is the first year of a model does not excuse it IMO

I order my 2015 Mustang in feb 2015 and got it in mid may 2015 first year car and very hot seller. Now it looks like Ford has made some kind of decision they are only going to produce vehicles at a certain rate special orders be damned

TGinAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flagstaffactionshooters.org
Vehicle(s)
Sold '96 Ford Ranger to get a '19 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
...My tracker was reasonably accurate - I got my truck one day before the ETA, and that ETA only changed once after going to "in production". I know there were a lot of people with very different experience....
The tracker does't mean anything to me!!! I ordered on 11/27/18 and the tracker STILL shows "In Production" 3/19/19.... and it's now 4/22. A MONTH in production? Nah, I don't think so. And the delivery estimate has changed a couple of times, but lately has been stuck at 4/14/19. Did I mention that today is 4/22?

I just got off the phone with Ford... I've spoken to my dealer as well as someone at Ford. All anyone can (will?) tell me is that my truck is "in production."

I'm getting pissed and fed up! I owned a 96 Ranger for 22 years.... I want another one. But my wife and I are talking Tacoma....

TGinAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flagstaffactionshooters.org
Vehicle(s)
Sold '96 Ford Ranger to get a '19 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
...I ordered on Jan 15th. Built on April 6th, Delivered to dealer on April 11th. Ready for me to pickup on April 15. Pretty loaded Lariat. So far, well worth the wait. :wink:
Ordered 11/27/18. In production 3/19/19. Estimated delivery 4/14/19.

Today is 4/22/19 and I just got off the Ford 800 number.... my truck is "in production." What a load of .... By the time my truck shows up, the 2020's will be here.... I'm pissed!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The tracker does't mean anything to me!!! I ordered on 11/27/18 and the tracker STILL shows "In Production" 3/19/19.... and it's now 4/22. A MONTH in production? Nah, I don't think so. And the delivery estimate has changed a couple of times, but lately has been stuck at 4/14/19. Did I mention that today is 4/22?

I just got off the phone with Ford... I've spoken to my dealer as well as someone at Ford. All anyone can (will?) tell me is that my truck is "in production."

I'm getting pissed and fed up! I owned a 96 Ranger for 22 years.... I want another one. But my wife and I are talking Tacoma....
I completely understand your frustration. Given the experience of some others here, my guess is one of two things:
  1. Your Ranger has some sort of "quality" issue (which they don't want to tell you about)
  2. You got stuck in a parts shortage somehow. Maybe it failed some QC check and they had no parts to replace it with.
Just guessing. I think you will be sorry if you go Tacoma. I know I would have been. I LOVE this truck!

I'd start doing searching for inventory that matches your build. They are out there. I have a pretty specific/unusual build and I found one that was about 300 miles away that matched it exactly. FYI, on the search tool you can manually change the URL to have a greater search radius than 100 miles. I went up to 500 miles.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
With the tailgate down:devil:

Drove it for like 30 seconds the other day with the tailgate down, it's so light that every bump causes it to jump up and slam back down hard. Another reason to install a damper I guess.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The good news is ... there's now an extra $500 rebate as long as you get it before June 1.
Chin-up man you'll get it in a week or so!:fingerscrossed:
The Tacoma ain't no Ranger!

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered 11/27/18. In production 3/19/19. Estimated delivery 4/14/19.

Today is 4/22/19 and I just got off the Ford 800 number.... my truck is "in production." What a load of .... By the time my truck shows up, the 2020's will be here.... I'm pissed!
I had almost your same problem - my vehicle went into production and everyone was saying that the Michigan Wayne Assembly Plant puts out 400 vehicles a day? My vehicle was stuck 19 days in a production "black hole" then suddenly it went to "awaiting shipment" and stalled for another 10 days - it finally arrived my dealership but the Vin tracker still showed "awaiting shipment"!!! Talking to my spies, my truck had severe part shortages. Guess what? Your dealership has much better line of communication with Ford than any Internet program/app has for the end user or customer. It took close to 8 months, from the deal date for Ford to manufacturer my 2019 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab and ship my vehicle. In the end, the wait is well worth it! After all, Ford has been building quality vehicles for over 100 years and I added two extra words to the end of their marketing motto "Built Ford Proud and Slow":devil:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had almost your same problem - my vehicle went into production and everyone was saying that the Michigan Wayne Assembly Plant puts out 400 vehicles a day? My vehicle was stuck 19 days in a production "black hole" then suddenly it went to "awaiting shipment" and stalled for another 10 days - it finally arrived my dealership but the Vin tracker still showed "awaiting shipment"!!! Talking to my spies, my truck had severe part shortages. Guess what? Your dealership has much better line of communication with Ford than any Internet program/app has for the end user or customer. It took close to 8 months, from the deal date for Ford to manufacturer my 2019 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab and ship my vehicle. In the end, the wait is well worth it! After all, Ford has been building quality vehicles for over 100 years and I added two extra words to the end of their marketing motto "Built Ford Proud and Slow":devil:
To be fair..at least four of those eight months were a given, since full production didn't start until first quarter 2019 and buyers were told. I still think you should have had your place in line ahead of a lot of trucks ordered after yours and also (as promised) scheduling in the first available slot after production began. Clearly, ROVP didn't work as expected for many preorder customers.
I think this tangled mess is beginning to show signs of normalizing, At least we all hope so!:fingerscrossed:
Although mine is still in processing, it has been no small comfort to share this roller coaster experience with you and so many others... Misery, joy,information and hopes all combined.:blush:
Sponsored

Last edited: