Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone, wanted to see if anyone has any tips for a recent issue.

I just moved to a new place (condo with shared parking area) which has lots of pine trees. This fall I noticed the red squirrels had started putting pinecones, leaves and pine needles in the engine bay of the Ranger (XLT without Engine Cover). I have to take a shop-vac to the top of the engine every 2 weeks.

I just had a terrible time taking all the leaves out of the cabin air filter as well.

I put mothball bags in the engine bay, but does anyone have suggestions besides adopting a cat? Any idea if I need to add mesh somewhere to keep them from entering the cabin air area?
You could get a video camera and "make some lemonade to solve your lemon problem...".
This guy has 105 MILLION views of his solution to a squirrel problem.
Pretty hilarious story.
Sponsored

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
These are the most entertaining threads. :LOL:
Op gets an answer in the first couple posts and the rest of the thread goes off on a tangent because of autocorrect or a typing mistake. These keep me coming back.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Only problem Duke where you are you'd most likely be the one going to jail for doing this. :stop: ? Then the asshat that's jumping over your fence will be living it up in Dukes palace.:shock:
When this is the case might as well turn him into fertilizer!

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
Them tree rats are evil and hell bent on taking over the world. Squirrels only act cute so that people will let their guard down. They must be stopped at all costs.

I have seen them things chew threw aluminum roof ridge caps and aluminum soffit like it was paper. I have one big fox squirrel that is NOT afraid of my 85 pound lab/golden retriever/husky mix. I'm afraid I will find the poor dog tied and beaten by that dang tree rat one of these days.

PS: a good country gravy goes well with squirrel.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I should put these up along my fence where some asshat occasionally jumps my fence in the middle of the night. My doorbell cam has spotted him hike himself up and over, using my handrail like a step ladder. He’s likely the same jerk that broke into my shed. This ought to be an unwelcome surprise when he doesn’t see them in the dark because I’ve painted them black. :bandit:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/american-farmworks-ac-powered-2-mile-charger

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
You could get a video camera and "make some lemonade to solve your lemon problem...".
This guy has 105 MILLION views of his solution to a squirrel problem.
Pretty hilarious story.
I prefer flying squirrels...

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
These are the most entertaining threads. :LOL:
Op gets an answer in the first couple posts and the rest of the thread goes off on a tangent because of autocorrect or a typing mistake. These keep me coming back.:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Comb back?

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Thread brings back some memories. I had a pet squirrel when I was a kid. Over time you find out just how smart these little critters are. Not much they can’t figure out. If they want in they’re getting in for sure.

2 options, have a heart trap and take them about 25 miles away in a place where plenty of water and trees. Hopefully they’ll stay there.

Or option 2 a cat. They don’t mix and will definitely relocate. Even if you borrowed a friends for like 3 weeks. They’ll be gone. Dogs don’t work, they taunt them! ?

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
In NY it's illegal to relocate them off your property. Catch, clean, and cook without pictures is the only option.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I just spent like 30 minutes watching squirrel videos. Launching them, spinning them, defending bird feeders... Man I know how I'm spending my time when I retire... :LOL:

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Thread brings back some memories. I had a pet squirrel when I was a kid. Over time you find out just how smart these little critters are. Not much they can’t figure out. If they want in they’re getting in for sure.

2 options, have a heart trap and take them about 25 miles away in a place where plenty of water and trees. Hopefully they’ll stay there.

Or option 2 a cat. They don’t mix and will definitely relocate. Even if you borrowed a friends for like 3 weeks. They’ll be gone. Dogs don’t work, they taunt them! ?
When I was age 7 thru 11 in the 70's I had more than a few pet tree rats . My brother in law owned a logging company in South Ga and he would bring in baby squirrels when he found them on the ground . I had a couple of huge Fox Squirrels that would follow me around when I rode my bike through the small town we lived in at the time . One of them bit me on the finger and I slapped him across the back porch then he ran up a tree and I couldn't get him to come back down .They all would usually come back to the house at night and sleep in the shed . A week later when I was at school my mom said she let him in after he was scratching on the kitchen window above the sink trying to get her attention . I ended up giving them to a small roadside Zoo in Perry Florida called Florida Reptile Land when we stopped there on vacation because they had never seen a squirrel as big as those two .
Sponsored