HELP! Getting mixed messages regarding wheels.

FlyingMonkey435

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Trapper
I just purchased a '21 Lariat Tremor. Looking to replace the stock wheels with the Fuel Blocks (D751), 17x9, 6x139.7, 1 offset. My dealership says they won't work, "not enough offset." My local tire shop says they will. Absolutely love these wheels.
Fuel Block D751.png
Sponsored

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
They do look good. Can Fuel help? hopefully somebody here knows.

_Ian_

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate Management
Vehicle Showcase
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the tremor comes with +55 offset wheels that are 8.5“ wide.

Moving to 9” wide wheels will put the inner lip .25” closer to the spindle, while the more aggressive offset will push it out roughly 2”, netting you 1.75” more clearance from the spindle, so “not enough offset” seems flat out wrong. If anything I would think you would rub the crash bars with these, so perhaps a little too much offset would be the answer unless you are okay with trimming.

Last edited:

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
They should work just fine. The tire size you plan on wanting to go with will determine how much drama you'll have to go though. I'm running 16x8, 0mm offset, 285/75R16's, with 2.25" of front lift. Also paired along with Fabtech UCA's and Fabtech offset incursion beams, I have minor rubbing past 75% to full lock. Been running 0 offset for 25,000 miles without any adverse issues.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
so “not enough offset” seems flat out wrong. If anything I would think you would rub the crash bars with these, so perhaps a little too much offset would be the answer unless you are okay with trimming.
That statement typically refers to positive offset when comparing aftermarket wheels to factory wheels with high positive offsets such as the Ranger wheels. In other words, there is not enough positive offset. A Tremor in stock configuration may indeed run a high risk of having the tires rub on the crash bars when a wheel with much less positive offset is introduced.

Please correct me if I'm wrong with my math. The OP's Tremor wheels are 8.5" wide with a +55mm offset. The Fuel Wheel is 9" wide with +1mm offset. This means that the wheel will be placed 54mm further outboard than the stock wheel, plus an additional 6mm (1/4") due to the 1/2" increase in wheel width. That's a total of 60mm which is approximately 2.36". That's a large increase in the arc the tires follow when turning from lock to lock. I would say there is a fair to good chance the tires will rub without making modifications to the crash bars.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I just purchased a '21 Lariat Tremor. Looking to replace the stock wheels with the Fuel Blocks (D751), 17x9, 6x139.7, 1 offset. My dealership says they won't work, "not enough offset." My local tire shop says they will. Absolutely love these wheels.
Fuel Block D751.png
If you are okay with chopping up your wheel well area you are totally fine to put those wheels on. Don't want to shop stuff off in the wheel well area? Keep the stock wheels.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
You’re gonna rub like a Thai masseuse.

To avoid this, keep your offset above +20mm and your lift/level 2-1/2” or higher. Doing so will likely allow you to get away with just using aftermarket crash bars. Otherwise, you‘re likely to be tearing out wheel well liners and ABS sensors.

Hell, some Tremors have rubbing issues at lock with their +55mm offset factory wheels and 265s.

I get it, you want a certain stance - maybe it’s the stance we see on full size trucks that have HUGE wheel wells and NO crash bars. There’s a way to get that on these trucks but it involves big lift kits and crash bar mod, removal, or replacement. Guys put on 35s but it isn’t a simple task - mods are needed.

@_Ian_ is right, you need more offset!

@I_smell_like_diesel is also right, he fit them in but it’s not problem-free. He’s rubbing at 75% to full lock, even with aftermarket crash bars - he’s willing to live with it - are you?

Here’s how it works - the horizontal line represents your crash bars - the shaded tire is the “new” position.....

4C6D587C-9169-46CE-B6E2-D7D95EEDE552.jpeg

OP
OP

FlyingMonkey435

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Trapper
Thanks for all of the responses and resources peeps! I've reached out to Method as well as Automotive Performance Group, who is supplying my suspension kit, and I'll just say that those wheels are ordered along with Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I'll keep everyone posted with the outcome.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Hell, some Tremors have rubbing issues at lock with their +55mm offset factory wheels and 265s.
How do you know that the wheel that comes on the Tremor is a +55mm offset? I have not seen that spec anywhere. They are not the same wheels as the Raptor or Ford Performance Parts wheels. There is specs that indicate that the overall track is 1 inch wider. This is because of the suspension, axle or wheels?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
How do you know that the wheel that comes on the Tremor is a +55mm offset? I have not seen that spec anywhere. They are not the same wheels as the Raptor or Ford Performance Parts wheels. There is specs that indicate that the overall track is 1 inch wider. This is because of the suspension, axle or wheels?
I can’t be certain of that +55mm spec - just going off what’s been discussed in other Tremor threads.

Regardless of whether that spec is correct or not, there are some rubbing issues with Tremor factory wheels and tires - it’s unacceptable but it’s happening. Tremor is simply an option pkg, like FX4 or Sport, so if it tracks wider, it’s likely because of tires and wheels, not axles or suspension.

When it comes to aftermarket tire and wheel combos, it doesn’t matter what the factory starting point is - what matters is where you end up.

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
@I_smell_like_diesel is also right, he fit them in but it’s not problem-free. He’s rubbing at 75% to full lock, even with aftermarket crash bars - he’s willing to live with it - are you?

Rubbing on my setup is very minimal, after the installation of the offset intrusion beams. No trimming was done, just want to put that out there for RJ (not trying to argue). Minor audible noise from tire rub but not enough to damage the tire or anything it comes into contact with. Anything larger tire and/or more offset in the wheel (with 32~33" or larger tires) is going to require some surgery and creativity. You do you at the end of the day.... your money, your rules.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Thanks for all of the responses and resources peeps! I've reached out to Method as well as Automotive Performance Group, who is supplying my suspension kit, and I'll just say that those wheels are ordered along with Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I'll keep everyone posted with the outcome.
Long travel?

Everybody here is assuming factory height or simple leveling kit. With the APG long travel setup I'm betting you'll be just fine with crash bar replacement or removal.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I can’t be certain of that +55mm spec - just going off what’s been discussed in other Tremor threads.
...I'm not trying to be an a-hole. I've just been trying to find out for certain what the actual Tremor wheel specs are. I suspect that the offset is a little more like +40mm, but it certainly could be +55mm like other Ranger factory wheel specs. I have 265/70R17 tires on stock wheels and suspension with no rub. I suspect that a little more offset will make the Tremor tires get closer to rubbing that has been reported.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
...I'm not trying to be an a-hole. I've just been trying to find out for certain what the actual Tremor wheel specs are. I suspect that the offset is a little more like +40mm, but it certainly could be +55mm like other Ranger factory wheel specs. I have 265/70R17 tires on stock wheels and suspension with no rub. I suspect that a little more offset will make the Tremor tires get closer to rubbing that has been reported.
I figured you were just looking for answers, not looking for an argument. ?
Sponsored